View previous topic | View next topic

Football

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

eggshaped
63210.  Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:15 am Reply with quote

I think this was bunter's source:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8802-2090896,00.html

But I am unable to find anywhere else that agrees. I think I will e-mail the FA, they've been quite helpful with me in the past.

Flash
63218.  Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:01 am Reply with quote

That does seem fairly convincing, though, and the source is Melvyn Bragg, which is good enough for me.

eggshaped
63221.  Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:11 am Reply with quote

I'm not sure I'd trust an Arsenal fan.

:o)

I've e-mailed the FA's in-house historian anyway.

eggshaped
63608.  Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:16 am Reply with quote

This from David Barber, the FA's historian:

Quote:
Hi James,

I've never come across that theory!

Everything I've read - and I've checked a few histories this morning - suggests that the purpose of "half of the time" (as it was originally called) was to allow teams to change ends.

This was even true in "Eton Rules", "Winchester Rules" etc before The FA's attempt to unify all the various codes in 1863.

Teams would change ends after each goal in those days - but some games, of course, would be goalless. So, in the interest of fairness in, say, unusual weather conditions, teams would always change ends at half-time.

We are often asked why a team has eleven players or why a game lasts for ninety minutes. It has always been difficult to pinpoint the time of change to those stipulations, because these matters used to be "settled by the heads of the sides".

Regards,

David
FA Historian

Make of that what you will.

MatC
63614.  Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:52 am Reply with quote

I’ve always heard this story - about changing rules at half time - and casually believed it (having no knowledge of football). But when you stop to think about it ... doesn’t “so that they could have a breather” sound more likely? In fact, I’ll bet you anything I know what the real reason was: a smoke break. Virtually all top-level sportsmen, in every sport, smoked non-stop until the 1970s or 80s. You couldn't really expect the lads to run around for ninety minutes without the benefit of a fag to clear their chests. And, of course, they’d need a pee because of all the beer or claret they’d been drinking.

Flash
63631.  Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:07 am Reply with quote

Yes, I've asked the picture researchers to try to find an old photo of the players standing around having a fag at half time, which would be amusing enough to justify the question even if we have to approach it from a slightly different angle, I think.

Flash
63632.  Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:08 am Reply with quote

Especially if one of them is smoking a pipe.

MatC
63643.  Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:05 am Reply with quote

And especially if she's the goalie.

Flash
63663.  Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:23 am Reply with quote

MatC
63762.  Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:35 am Reply with quote

Long hair and lipstick: just about sums up soccer, don't it?

eggshaped
63802.  Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:32 am Reply with quote

Flash
63809.  Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:01 am Reply with quote

Quote:
in 1846 in Rugby the first truly standardised rules for an organised game were laid down. ... These ... permitted kicking an opponent's legs below the knees, with the reserve that he should not be held still whilst his shins were being worked on.

http://www.mwcsoccer.net/id71.htm

eggshaped
63823.  Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:48 am Reply with quote

Not exactly the most extensive study ever, but...

6% of football injuries caused by overzealous celebrations?

Quote:
Exaggerated celebrations after making a goal, such as sliding, piling up, and tackling a teammate when racing away, can result in serious injury. In addition to general measures for preventing soccer injuries, coaches and team physicians should teach self-control and behavior modification to minimize the risk of such injuries. More restrictive rules, which penalize such behavior, may assist in the prevention of score-celebration injuries.

http://ajs.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/33/8/1237

Gray
63829.  Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:10 am Reply with quote

Very amusing. A bit like the statistics that show how many more people are afflicted with something terrible (like colds, heart-attacks, car crashes) on the way to Lourdes than have ever been cured there.

Flash
63868.  Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:29 am Reply with quote

Ties in to the business about cheerleading being the number 1 cause of sports injuries amongst women: post 55722.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next