View previous topic | View next topic

Buttons

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

filofax
1118259.  Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:08 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Another theory concerns ladies riding side saddle. They did not want to give a free show of their breasts to any men who might approach from behind, and so arranged the buttons such that this did not happen.

Not quite sure I understand how this works. Seems that if you are approached from behind, your boobs are not likely to be the first thing someone would see. Plus, if your shirt is buttoned, no matter from which side, decency is ensured. Likewise, the position of your legs on a horse seem irrelevant.

Zziggy
1118282.  Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:45 am Reply with quote

14-11-2014 wrote:
Zziggy wrote:
I find it much easier to believe even that someone just decided it might look indecent if there were any chance of a woman looking like she might possibly be wearing a man's shirt

The answer remains no. But in a way this reverses the king and queen story socially, and it's not unlikely. If your common clothes were cheap and shapeless, and it was quite dark, then it could have been harder to notice that you were wearing the wrong unisex shirt. Again an own theory, supporting your believe.

I can't tell whether this says "I'm not convinced, but it's not a bad hypothesis" or "you made that up, you twat".

suze
1118333.  Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:55 am Reply with quote

filofax wrote:
Not quite sure I understand how this works. Seems that if you are approached from behind, your boobs are not likely to be the first thing someone would see. Plus, if your shirt is buttoned, no matter from which side, decency is ensured. Likewise, the position of your legs on a horse seem irrelevant.

I think I've proved that this explanation is nonsense, as you rather suspected.

Ladies riding side saddle normally have both legs to the left of the horse. Side saddle riding with both legs to the right is a thing - apparently it's called off-side saddle - but it's uncommon and not traditional.

Now, a lady riding side saddle does not in fact sit at 90 to the direction of travel. It's more like 15, but apparently they did sit squarer in the Olden Days*. So let us suppose she does sit at 90.

Now, suppose a strong gust of wind blows her buttoned coat open, and suppose that she has nothing under it. Buttoned the women's way, her right breast will become exposed to a person approaching from behind. Buttoned the men's way, her left breast will become exposed to a person approaching from the opposite direction.

The latter is not a major issue. Our lady rider sees the people from the opposite direction coming, and so checks that she is decent before they get close enough to get a good look. The former is undesirable - she can't see the following riders coming, and so doesn't know that they're getting an eyeful.

Accordingly, if the reason for the buttons were to do with decency while riding side saddle, women's clothes would button the men's way. Therefore, this is not the reason.

* Except for Catherine the Great, who is said to have set Russian tongues wagging by riding astride. But then she was the archetypal ladette - she drank pints of beer, had a prodigious sexual appetite, and is said to have shocked the gentlemen of the Royal court with her foul mouth. Of course she rode astride.

CharliesDragon
1118336.  Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote

Catherine the Great didn't give a shit about men's stupid rules, she did what she liked.

With the number of layers on clothes in The Olden Days I also find it unlikely that a woman wouldn't be wearing six layers under whatever was buttoned, and maybe showing your undergarments would be undesriable in the highest regard for a lady, there's very little chance of any skin showing. The theory is busted anyway, but that was my first thoughts as to why that is not likely.

Jenny
1118383.  Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:50 pm Reply with quote

I always thought the women's buttons being on a different side to men's was to do with a maid doing them up for you.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2