View previous topic | View next topic

Mixed messages?

Page 1 of 1

Bettiblue
1117983.  Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote

Is it just me, or do other people (and elves), find it annoying and literally irritating, often migraine inducing, to be bombarded with nasty, 'fragranced' 'air', in all public bulildings, shops, cinemas etc etc? When you think about the fuss made about cigarette smoke, well what about these noxious chemical concoctions, and I don't care if they do call some of them, 'natural essences', 'botanicals', or such like! I am sick and tired of all my clothes and hair stinking like a cheap hooker wearing eau d toilet cleaner, after frequenting a public building. Of course, many of you will know the science on odours and how one adjusts after about ten minutes of exposure so that the 'smell' is not noticed. It is only after leaving the environment, one realises that the 'creature', 'natural' or otherwise, has attached itself to every fibre of ones being, requiring surgical removal and several intensive washing cycles. Don't even get me started on the whole world of washing powders and 'fragranced' products, but at least those one can avoid by not buying them. I do however, take exception to my body being polluted with filth when all I want to do is, buy a book, loaf of bread, or T shirt. My question is; what is in these 'fragrances and as we all buzz about in this monstrous miasma, what effects are they having on us? Could it be that allergies, depression, confusion, headaches etc are triggered or exacerbated? Are we getting and giving 'mixed messages' and somehow getting lost in the fug? Do we need fresh air (the real stuff)to stay healthy? Do we care? Ahhh time for a breather. I can smell some coffee brewing. Your thoughts?................

suze
1117992.  Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote

Personally, I'm with you on this. I don't object to fragrances in the environments you suggest, but I prefer them to be absent.

Some people have a serious problem with these fragrances, though, and this is common enough to have been given the name Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS).

It has been noted that people who claim to suffer from MCS tend to be middle class white women of middle years, and some have consequently suggested that it doesn't really exist. But be that as it may, in California and Canada it is enough of an issue that you'll see signs which say things like "We thank you for being scent free".

See, for instance, this policy aimed at those who ride the city buses in Halifax, Nova Scotia. I doubt you'd see that as a written policy anywhere outside Canada.

14-11-2014
1117995.  Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote

Bettiblue wrote:
other people (and elves)

So the QI Elves aren't people...

As long as you aren't overdoing it, then I'll fully agree. The most beautiful person I saw last week was [blink]extremely[/blink] impressive (and not young), but I mainly remember the smell. I used to live quite near a factory producing it, but I didn't know that swimming in the product was allowed there.

It may be possible to surprise African cacao farmers by giving them chocolate for the very first time. It could be interesting to give those people a bottle of the chemical product too, because you have to know or learn (and unlearn?) that it smells "good". I hope I've unlearned it by now.

PDR
1118000.  Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:11 pm Reply with quote

I agree, but I find the problem is easily addressed by lighting a cigarette to mask these noxious odours.

It's a public service I provide without charge, despite its significant cost to myself. I'm just naturally public-spirited...

PDR

Bettiblue
1118156.  Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:58 pm Reply with quote

Thanks all for your comments. It's good to hear that Canada has the right idea on this and well done PDR on being so public spirited. I posted this on the General Banter too if you are interested in reading more feedback.
Happy weekend everyone.
Time for a walk i the fresh air!
Bettiblue ;-)

Posital
1118356.  Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:43 pm Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
I agree, but I find the problem is easily addressed by lighting a cigarette to mask these noxious odours.
As a non-smoker, I use flatulence as my contribution to the welfare of my fellow citizens...

PDR
1118374.  Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quote

No shit!

PDR

Posital
1118551.  Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:38 am Reply with quote

More by luck than design...

CB27
1118554.  Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:16 am Reply with quote

I won't ask a follow on question then

Page 1 of 1