Poor English in the media

Page 120 of 120
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 118, 119, 120

ali
1389393.  Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:22 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
Does anyone understand this? New technology coming to a control room near me
Quote:
Enhance levels of cyclical baseline servicing to maintain the assets material condition.

I think it means they're going to do regular maintainance on stuff rather than waiting for it to go wrong. (and I think "assets" needs an apostrophe)

PDR
1389403.  Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:12 am Reply with quote

It means moving the emphasis from on-condition maintenance (fix it when it breaks) to scheduled maintenance (fix it whether it's broken or not in the wholly fallacious belief that the adage "prevention is better than cure" is a universal truth).

I could do (and have done) a two-day course on this at the drop of a hat without notes - the default assumption should always be an "on condition" maintenance policy, using the Reliability-Centred-Maintenance (RCM) process to analyse and identify where there might be a justifiable case for introducing scheduled maintenance.

The short version is:
1. Scheduled maintenance disturbs serviceable equipment and in the process often renders it unserviceable (aka "maintenance-induced failure")

2. Scheduled Maintenance replaces parts that are still serviceable, ensuring you never get the full life of an asset (increased cost) and in the process often creates a premature obsolescence problem

3. Scheduled Maintenance creates system downtimes and service interruptions that constrain system availability and/or interrupt the mission for no justifiable reason.

4. Scheduled Maintenance is only justifiable where there is an unobservable failure mode which results in an unacceptable safety or economic consequence which cannot be viably eliminated at the design stage.

At my usual rates that should be 2,500(+VAT) per course delegate please.

PDR

crissdee
1389422.  Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:16 pm Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
Scheduled maintenance disturbs serviceable equipment and in the process often renders it unserviceable (aka "maintenance-induced failure")

The story of my life when I worked for the ticket machine company!

The original machines we installed when I first started were ok. They had been in service long enough for all the bugs to be worked out of them. The newer ones they introduced were rushed into service for various reasons, none of which were good. They had more bugs than an anthill and ran on a knife-edge of functionality. We hardly dared touch them unless absolutely necessary in case we unsettled something while fixing something else.

extremophilesheep
1389571.  Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:42 am Reply with quote

So a bit like how our IT department always does massive maintenance or updates on the busiest day of the week....is there some sort of sciency law for this phenomenon?

Awitt
1389586.  Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:03 am Reply with quote

Reminds me of what happened in the September school holidays of 2019 when I was working at the school library - major IT upgrades, the tech guys on site during the holidays.

We return to discover all documents in the staff drive are gone, been wiped.
Tech tells me later that week that what had happened was another server in the back of the library, somehow turned itself on when it should have been 'asleep', dormant.

So much for technology making our lives simpler.

A casual teacher who'd come in when needed during staff absences, offered to work full time for the next two weeks on getting all items back for the annual magazine - by asking staff to send through photos/documents again, if they had them.

I also remember the library computer lost all documents/templates of overdue books/letters sent to parents in this incident.

crissdee
1391001.  Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:21 pm Reply with quote

Not the media as such, but still poor English;

Awitt
1391023.  Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:05 pm Reply with quote

On the Book of Faces I'm part of a group for such apostrophe misuses - appropriately called Apostrophe catastrophes.

Brock
1392328.  Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:02 am Reply with quote

This made me laugh in today's "i" newspaper - I assume it's just a typo, but I'm reproducing it exactly as written, complete with punctuation:

Quote:
The Wurzels rose to fame in the 70s, with hits such as "I Am A Cider Drinker and Combine Harvester".

A good trick if you can do it!

Jenny
1392400.  Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:13 am Reply with quote

If you could run your combine harvester on scrumpy it might be cheaper than running it on diesel.

crissdee
1392420.  Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:59 am Reply with quote

I've drunk scrumpy you could use as rocket fuel, never mind diesel.....

extremophilesheep
1392757.  Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:30 am Reply with quote

Awitt wrote:
On the Book of Faces I'm part of a group for such apostrophe misuses - appropriately called Apostrophe catastrophes.

I could easily be the main contributor - I never got much hang of the bloody thing. Even in Dutch I make a mess of it sometimes.

Page 120 of 120
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 118, 119, 120