View previous topic | View next topic

Dance music

Page 1 of 1

Gray
62983.  Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:01 am Reply with quote

Question: You're all familiar with probably the most listened-to piece of music in the world, aren't you? Would someone care to hum the tune for me?

Forfeit: Happy Birthday, The QI Theme Tune, etc.

Further clue: I'll give you a clue: it's by the well-known Spanish guitarist and composer Francisco Tárrega, from his Gran Vals.

Answer: Here's a rendition of the work in its original format. (Cue guitar recording...)

Notes: This tune, written in the 19th Century, this classical guitar tune was used by Nokia for its default ring tone, and, due to the mobile phone's astronomically high X in the last ten years, will almost certainly have been heard by more people than any other tune.

I sweated for hours over a suitable 'D' word for this one...

Sources:
http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,6771,69480,00.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_T%C3%A1rrega

eggshaped
62986.  Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:10 am Reply with quote

"do do, do do, do do, do dum de dum de dum"

Nb. the famous beeping sound you hear when someone on the train gets a text message. "bip bip bip, beeep beeep, bip bip bip", is actually the morse code for SMS, as in "short messaging service".

MatC
62988.  Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:14 am Reply with quote

Quote:

Ding-Dong - for those of us who remember when phones had bells.

Gray
62989.  Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:14 am Reply with quote

That's even more annoying - and SO LOUD!

We may have trouble getting permission to use that tune (the Tárrega) as Nokia have almost certainly managed to copyright it. Still, it can't exactly do them any harm...

If I play the tune on a guitar and record it, and we use that, that would probably be okay as it's only an excerpt from larger piece... I should think the Tárrega estate is long since defunct. Or maybe Nokia bought it up...

It'll give the panel a chance to harp on about mobile phone annoyances, though.

eggshaped
62990.  Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:15 am Reply with quote

According to this biog of Francisco Tárrega, his parents forced him to learn music after it was feared that an accident in his youth could cause him to go blind.

They thought that if he did go blind, at least he could earn money by playing music.

Gray
63032.  Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:59 am Reply with quote

Yes, he fell into an irrigation channel, the poor love.

Frederick The Monk
63043.  Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:11 am Reply with quote

Link to Dykes

Flash
63049.  Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:34 am Reply with quote

D for Default, surely.

Bunter
69333.  Thu May 11, 2006 10:50 am Reply with quote

Nokia was established in 1865 as a pulp and paper making business by mining engineer Fredrik Idestam. It later merged with Finnish Rubber Works Ltd, and Finnish Cable Works in 1967 to create the Nokia we know today.

After dabbling with TV sets, and computers Nokia made its first mobile handset in 1987.

In 2005, it did 34.191 Billion Euros worth of business, has 56,000 employees and makes roughly 6.5 phones a second.

It's billionth mobile phone was sold in Nigeria. It was a somewhat basic Nokia 1100: it's most impressive feature is a torch at the top of the handset.

gerontius grumpus
159446.  Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote

MatC wrote:
Quote:

Ding-Dong - for those of us who remember when phones had bells.

I've never heard a phone with a bell that goes 'Ding Dong.

gerontius grumpus
160570.  Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:16 pm Reply with quote

Can somebody else please post on this thread? I really don't want my name (albeit a made up name) next to the title 'dance music'.

Page 1 of 1