View previous topic | View next topic

Brain Cells

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Laughing Feet
206867.  Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:19 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
we have been taught that by the time you are 3 years old you will have all the brain cells you will have throughout your life.

Taking an empirical approach, and speaking as a laymen:
The size of my own cranium has increased measurably since I was a three-year-old. Assuming that standard brain cells have a natural finite individual size, then it would be an obvious assumption that there would need to be more of these cells present to fill the capacity of the larger cranium. Or is it the case that the increased size of the head is due to a thickening of the surrounding bone tissue - or to an increase in some sort of fluid or sac containing the original number of 3-year-old brain cells?

Sim-1
206883.  Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:06 am Reply with quote

Laughing Feet wrote:
Quote:
we have been taught that by the time you are 3 years old you will have all the brain cells you will have throughout your life.

Taking an empirical approach, and speaking as a laymen:
The size of my own cranium has increased measurably since I was a three-year-old. Assuming that standard brain cells have a natural finite individual size, then it would be an obvious assumption that there would need to be more of these cells present to fill the capacity of the larger cranium. Or is it the case that the increased size of the head is due to a thickening of the surrounding bone tissue - or to an increase in some sort of fluid or sac containing the original number of 3-year-old brain cells?

I think I must elaborate a bit on what they are teaching (despite that this site has provided evidence to put this into serious question). They are not saying that you never regenerate cells in the brain, anyone who has studied biology would know that is a rediculous statement to make. Rather that you have developed all the 'neurons' you will have throughout your life by the time you are approx 3 and these will not regenerate. Neurons are the cells that conduct nerve impulses and send information from the brain to the rest of the body through axons and dentrites. They are commonly refered to as 'brain cells' even though they are not the only cells you have in your brain.

obical
219097.  Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:01 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
Perhaps a more fruitful (and crisper) question in comedy terms would be simply:

What effect does alcohol have on your brain?

The Book Of General Ignorance says that alcohol doesn't kill brain cells, it just stops them growing as quickly as the should. Also a migrane is caused by dehydration which makes the brain shrink slightly, causing it to "tug" on the protective membrane surrounding it. Thats what the pain is when you've been out drinking too much!

rjmyth
219347.  Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:47 pm Reply with quote

education it seems isnt so much about teaching us te facts but more about teaching us to learn. i remember through all my science lessons being told things which later were told to be false. in fact my a level chemistry teacher even said well truly this isnt correct but the board wants us to tell it this way just for a levels. shocking

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2