View previous topic | View next topic

Which episode featured misheard lyrics of The Kinks song?

Page 1 of 1

Flegit
1114754.  Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote

There was a story on one of the episodes about police investigating a song by The Kinks, because they misinterpreted the lyrics. Which episode was that?

Zziggy
1114756.  Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote

I don't know, but I do remember them discussing Louie Louie by the Kingsmen :P

Last edited by Zziggy on Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Zziggy
1114757.  Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:19 pm Reply with quote

"Lumped Together" I believe was the episode.

Flegit
1114768.  Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote

Zziggy wrote:
"Lumped Together" I believe was the episode.

You sure? Just watched it through, couldn't find that part... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCU_MFidO8k

Zziggy
1114769.  Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:43 pm Reply with quote

Not at all, I just googled "qi louie louie" and that was the overwhelming result. I'll have a better look.

Flegit
1114770.  Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote

Zziggy wrote:
I don't know, but I do remember them discussing Louie Louie by the Kingsmen :P

Yes, you're correct, that was the case) My mistake. Still need to find the episode..)

Zziggy
1114771.  Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:45 pm Reply with quote

Yes, Lumped Together. It's right at the beginning when they are discussing the buzzers.

Flegit
1114772.  Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:48 pm Reply with quote

Zziggy wrote:
Yes, Lumped Together. It's right at the beginning when they are discussing the buzzers.

Yes! Thanx so much!) You're like a QI elf! )

Zziggy
1114773.  Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:51 pm Reply with quote

Oh you're too kind :)

clack
1114799.  Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:07 pm Reply with quote

Well, the Kinks also did a version, though their lyrics were more decipherable.

suze
1114803.  Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote

The FBI's determination was that the lyrics of Louie Louie were "unintelligible at any speed". The song was recorded in one take, a thing that garage rock bands often did in those days because studio time cost money. (Some records by Gary "U S" Bonds sound even muddier. Even after he had become a big star and could afford multiple takes, he preferred not to do them.)

We should also note that The Kingsmen's singer was a shortass and had to stand on tiptoe to reach the boom mic, and that he had a sore throat because the band had played a show the previous night.

The published lyrics of Verse 2 are:

Three nights and days we sailed the sea
Me think of girl constantly
On the ship I dream she there
I smell the rose in her hair

While the complaint which came to the attention of the Feds asserted them to be:

Each night at ten I lay her again
I fuck my girl all kinds of ways
And on that chair I lay her there
I felt my boner in her hair

Now listen to the relevant verse. In the immortal words of Marcus Bentley, you decide.

But there's more. If you're wondering why a group of rich white kids from Oregon - that being a fair description of The Kingsmen, who played their first gig at a yacht club - wrote in non-standard English, they didn't.

The song was written by a black guy from LA called Richard Berry, who did not graduate high school and wrote in the African American English that he spoke. As happened all too often to black songwriters in those days, he was prevailed upon to sell the song for fuck all in 1957, six years before The Kingsmen had the big hit with it. His was eventually one of the happier cases, though. By 1985 Mr Berry was living on welfare in a rough part of LA, until a lawyer working pro bono won him north of one million dollars in back royalties. Richard Berry died in 1997 at the age of 61.

But Richard Berry and the Pharaohs had recorded the song back in 1957. It wasn't a hit - he never had one as a performer - but it should have been, because it's one hundred times better than The Kingsmen's version. That's the difference between being a black kid from the wrong side of the tracks and a white kid from a yacht club.

Not much doubt about the lyrics here, is there?

Zziggy
1114898.  Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:29 am Reply with quote

clack wrote:
Well, the Kinks also did a version, though their lyrics were more decipherable.

My friend has a double CD that literally just consists of covers of Louie Louie.

It's surprisingly hard to get bored of.

Page 1 of 1