View previous topic | View next topic

Religion, god, and gods.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Ray Dodds
1113779.  Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote

I have a question that perhaps some of the QI elves might be able to answer. Give it a go.

Who was born on 25th Dec? Was born of a virgin. His birth was announced by the star in the east. He was adorned three kings. Was a teacher aged 12. Baptized and began his ministry aged thirty. Performed several miracles, raising the dead, water into wine, etc. Was called the lamb of God, the good Shepard and the light. He had 12 disciples. Was betrayed, crucified and buried for three days before his resurrection?

See if you can answer this without setting off your klaxon.

The correct answer will follow on Sunday night after I get back from work.

Good luck.

dr.bob
1113810.  Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:52 am Reply with quote

The correct answer can't be the Baby Jeebus because everyone knows he wasn't born on 25th Dec.

I hope you're not going to suggest it was Mithras, because that was featured on the show a few years ago, and subsequently discovered to be utter tosh.

'yorz
1113857.  Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:47 am Reply with quote

You mean Horus?

not really

Ray Dodds
1114031.  Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:37 pm Reply with quote

I am glad to see that my faith in the Qi elves and followers has been so well placed.

Yes the answer is Horus. And very well done for getting it so quickly.

'yorz
1114036.  Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote

I am not an Elf by a long stretch, and Horus is discredited in the link I put. But I agree that I googled the answer quite quickly. :-D

CharliesDragon
1114043.  Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote

Interesting link, Yorz. If I could find the motivation (and possibly the right books) I should really read more about both ancient mythology and unscrambling the life of Jesus, both which I find interesting.

On a different note, I've been playing Dragon Age Inquisition and have noticed that the prevailing religion is a lot like Christianity, especially Catholism, with one god and churches and all that, while the older religions with several gods are a lot like what we now classify as "mythology." Dragon Age isn't the only fictional universe to work like that, either.

swot
1114045.  Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:34 pm Reply with quote

Are the dragons constantly guilty?

Leith
1114048.  Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote

Not all of them are old enough to smoke.

Prof Wind Up Merchant
1114130.  Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:57 am Reply with quote

Welcome Ray Dodds.

Ray Dodds
1114402.  Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote

This comment is mainly for 'yorz I did read the link you sent and yes there were a few good points in it. However, there are a good many other pages out there on the internet that disagree with the link you sent.

I feel, on balance, that most of the religious stories, or mythologies, are taken from astrological observations and interpretations.

What I mean by that is that the ancients wrote stories to explain why the stars behaved the way they did and what they meant to the people of the time.

e.g. Horus, as well as several other gods have been associated with the sun. The star in the east was Sirius and the Three Kings, as they were called, are the three stars that make up Orion's belt. The only time of the year when all line up together is on the 25th Dec. Also Horus was born in the eon of Virgo the virgin; and the glif for Virgo is a stylized 'M' which might also explain why so many other gods have had virgin mothers with names beginning with the letter 'M'.

The point is this. There were many gods in the past that fit some, if not all of the points asked in the question. In fact there are twenty eight gods that have some but not all of the attributes. But only Horus has them all.

CharliesDragon
1114407.  Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:26 am Reply with quote

There are sites on the internet that propose proof for that the Earth is flat and evolution is all a lie.

I can see what you're saying about Horus as entertaining coincidences with Christian mythology today, but:

- We do not know that there were three kings or wise men that visited Jesus, only that they brought three presents.

- There is no mention in the Bible anywhere of December at all, nor the date the 25th in any month, and certainly not the combination of them.

As I said, fun coincidences, but hardly anything more. I also have a feeling the alphabet as we know it did not exist in Jesus's time, and I certainly know he didn't write it, so the Virgo glyph being M is... maybe not worth that much.

'yorz
1114422.  Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:46 am Reply with quote

If you say 'Horus' fast enough repeatedly, you'll hear 'Jesus'.
I am convinced. Where's the gourd?

suze
1114517.  Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote

CharliesDragon wrote:
I also have a feeling the alphabet as we know it did not exist in Jesus's time, and I certainly know he didn't write it, so the Virgo glyph being M is... maybe not worth that much.

The Roman alphabet did exist by then. We don't know precisely when it came into being, but the usual best guess is one hundred years either side of 500 BC. (The Classical Romans had a tradition that it was invented sixty years before the Trojan War started, but it's not in fact that old.)

At the time of Jesus, the Roman alphabet was used only for writing Latin. It was to be another seven hundred years or so before was it adopted for other languages; the ancestor of German was probably the first non-Romance language to adopt it as its main system of writing.

Although there were Romans in Geographic Palestine at Jesus' time, Latin wasn't used a great deal in the Roman possessions east of the Mediterranean. Officers from Rome would know Latin, and their emails to Rome would have been in Latin, but the lingua franca in the Eastern Med was Greek. A graffito suggesting the Romans might perhaps consider going home would most likely have been written in Greek.

Jesus' main language would have been Aramaic, but He could probably speak Greek to some extent. He did have some dealings with the ruling classes, and those guys considered Aramaic as a language fit only for peasants. Whether He could read and write Greek we just don't know, but probably not. While He did go to school and Luke tells us that He was literate, He left school with GCSEs and got a job, so could probably only read and write in Aramaic.

Zziggy
1114520.  Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote

Ray Dodds wrote:
The star in the east was Sirius and the Three Kings, as they were called, are the three stars that make up Orion's belt. The only time of the year when all line up together is on the 25th Dec.

You what? I'm ... fairly certain stars don't move (from our point of view) with respect to each other. That's why the "celestial sphere" of stars was such a popular idea for so long.

tetsabb
1114532.  Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote
Quote:
A graffito suggesting the Romans might perhaps consider going home would most likely have been written in Greek.

Google translate offers this
Ρωμαίους να πάει στο σπίτι

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next