1113631.  Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:38 am Reply with quote

A bit of fun to try with friends.
Think of a number.
Double it.
Add 7.
Double the result.
Add 6.
Divide by 4.
Take away the number you first thought of.
Take the number you are left with and find the corresponding letter of the alphabet 1 is A, 2 is B and so on.
Name an animal beginning with that letter.
Is your answer elephant?
If you got e but not elephant then great, not only is your maths up to snuff but you also have independent thought.
If you got any other letter then you have gone wrong somewhere.
Here is the maths explained where n represents the number chosen.
Think of a number. n
Double it. 2n
Add 7. 2n + 7
Double the result. 2(2n+7) = 4n +14
Add 6. 4n+14+6 = 4n+20
Divide by 4. (4n+20) /4 = 4n/4 +20/4 = n+5
Take away the number you first thought of. n+5-n = 5
So you cannot escape. Regardless of the number you first start with you will always end up at 5.
As far as elephant is concerned it appears to be the most common animal put forward. It may be that we all remember when we were first at school there would be a strip with an alphabet and a picture around the room depicting each letter a for apple, b for ball, c for cat and e was invariably for elephant and this association sticks with us for life.

Leith
1113665.  Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:35 pm Reply with quote

I accidentally missed the first 'double it' instruction and ended up with Eric the Half-a-Bee.

Welcome to the forums, by the way.

'yorz
1113685.  Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote

The endresult of 5 is universal; the pictures, however, not; the Cloggie alphabet rhyme features an ezel (donkey) for the fifth letter, coincidentally also an 'e', but a different animal altogether. Wonder what other countries would come up with.

CharliesDragon
1113698.  Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote

It's "esel" in Norwegian, but I think elephant (elefant) is popular for E-animals because children think they're cool, which might well translate into it being a easy word to grab in adulthood.

ConorOberstIsGo
1176275.  Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:19 pm Reply with quote

Persi Diaconis

Persi ran away from home at 14 to tour as part of a magic act with a 30 yr old fella. Eventually Diaconis was touted to Stanford's math dept. on the basis that 'out of the last decade and the top 10 card tricks therein, 2 of these were invented by this kid'. He is now a Stanford Professor of (IIRC) 'Combinatrix' as his 'tricks' involved no sleight of hand but just counter-intuitive combinations - and manipulations of combinations - of cards.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01dyvcn

nitwit02
1178492.  Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:47 pm Reply with quote

Perhaps the good folks who understand math may like to sort this one out:

http://globalnews.ca/news/2525216/solve-the-childrens-math-puzzle-thats-enraging-the-internet/?utm_source=Homegnca-toronto&utm_medium=MostPopular&utm_campaign=2014

'yorz
1178495.  Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:56 pm Reply with quote

That was finally an easy one for me. Phew!

oddyhogfather
1199036.  Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:12 am Reply with quote

Im new here so i'm not sure if this where mistakes should be posted, also its not really a mistake but still.
According to Stanford coin tosses are not always equal in odds, and that 51% of tosses land on the face that was previously up[1]. As Fry did'nt specify how he tossed his heads normally it would end there and it would go back to 50% chances, BUT i couldn't help noticing that there was a massive .gif always in shot showing a hand flipping a heads up coin which would suggest that the actual probability of two heads is 0.24, i was going to try and factor in edge results but probabilities arnt generalized and apply only to nickles, fry's coins weren't specified so no dice[2].
im not pointing this out to be a dick to the elves but so that they can return to it and punish/confuse Calmon if she appears again (i think she said 1/4 first just before Fry).
citation:
[1] http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/gamblers-take-note-the-odds-in-a-coin-flip-arent-quite-5050-145465423/?page=1 (also contains interesting info on spinning coins aswell)
[2] http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1993PhRvE..48.2547M

Jenny
1199192.  Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:07 pm Reply with quote

Welcome oddyhogfather (a Pratchett fan, I think?)

There is a Quibbles forum right down the bottom of the talk forums, but the elves may well see this here.

swot
1199203.  Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:06 pm Reply with quote

University of Lancashire? I call bullshit, that's not a place.

Either they meant UCLan (University of Central Lancashire (formerly Preston Polytechnic)), or Lancaster University.

suze
1199225.  Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote

Probably the Daily Mail being inaccurate, just for a change.

The fellow named as being attached to the "University of Lancashire" appears to work at UCLan.

Page 1 of 1