View previous topic | View next topic

The lazy laser raiser

Page 1 of 1

jsiehler
1112033.  Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:59 am Reply with quote

I can partially answer Carrie's question on the L-series "NO L" special about the tongue-twisters: "Who comes up with this stuff?" I do! Or did!

About 14 years ago I was delighted to discover this site devoted to tongue twisters in many languages (I'm amazed it still exists). I was very interested in Hungarian at the time so I submitted one Hungarian tongue twister that I had learned in a class, and another that I made up as a little exercise. That was fun, so I made up a few in English as well - they are numbers 95-97 on the page I linked, and at the time I was just delighted to get my name at the bottom of the page as a contributor.

So imagine my surprise last night when I was belatedly checking out the Christmas special and Stephen comes out with "On a lazy laser raiser...."

The surprise, in case you can't imagine it, was considerable. Wheeeee!

(I was annoyed about that one when I made it, though, because phonetically it would be a better tongue twister with "lays" instead of "lies", but that just doesn't work grammatically. Number 97 - "scissors sizzle, thistles sizzle" - is much more viciously tongue twisting, especially if you try the traditional "ten times fast" approach. I can't offer Bill any context in which that one would be useful, either, though.)

Jenny
1112153.  Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote

Welcome jsiehler - stick around and join in some conversations :-)

nitwit02
1112245.  Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:28 pm Reply with quote

Hear, here!

tetsabb
1112638.  Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Welcome jsiehler - stick around and join in some conversations :-)

Easy for you to say...

Page 1 of 1