View previous topic | View next topic

Little and Large XL

Page 1 of 1

CharliesDragon
1110912.  Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:30 am Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure there was a thread about this episode, but it has disappeared for me. If anyone knows where it has taken off, please point me in the right direction.

Anyway, a good episode. I have a bit of mixed feelings about the short soldiers, as I suddenly felt less short. That is not a common feeling for me, and I guess I cling to the fact that I'm shorter than most people as a defining trait of me. Probably not a healthy attitude, but I'm not excellent at anything else, might as well excel at being short. Several of the soldiers were shorter than me, though, and if I remember correctly, the "legal" barrier of being a Little Person (midget, dwarf, whatever you prefer) is 4'11'' for men.

There might be something in that it's better for everyone to be more or less the same height in business meetings and such, though. It's more easily achieved by sitting around a table (with height-adjustable office chairs) than having people stand on blocks, but "looking up" and "looking down" at someone might not just be true figuratively. As for people I can physically look down on, there's children, and most would agree you don't let a child run a company or make big decisions. Therefore shorter people might be listened to less because they have a characteristic shared with children. On the other hand, when growing up, your parents and teachers will be tall authority figures and you'll listen to them, therefore you might listen more and be less sceptical of things people taller than you say when you're an adult.
There's of course other things than can have an effect, like age and gender. Being on one end of the height spectrum also doesn't give me a good indicator, everyone over twelve is either the same height or taller than me, so I'd like to get other views on this.

The funniest part was possibly that the half-life of facts came and bit them so hard Felix Baumgartner's balloon jump record had been beaten before the show aired. In a way it's not that surprising, when people start talking about breaking incredible records, someone else will jump at the chance of beating them again.

Stephen's trouble talking was also funny. What has his mouth been in contact with to make it misbehave so? :P

I'm not sure the "Blue whale at a birthday party" question really lead anywhere except for mentioning the blue whale for Alan. It's the third time this season they have a blue whale question for Alan, and I think they should be careful not to overdo it.

 
14-11-2014
1110926.  Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:37 am Reply with quote

CharliesDragon wrote:
I'm pretty sure there was a thread about this episode, but it has disappeared for me. If anyone knows where it has taken off, please point me in the right direction.


Its new location is between your ears. A memory. The Baumgartner-update was (/is) overwritten by subtitles, but the XL subtitles didn't overwrite those messages (anymore). An attempt to avoid yet another silly discussion. Wtf am I talking about (Sunday was right) vs. last Friday's " problem" . It was solved before XL was broadcasted, or they sometimes get it right. Good enough for me, and I don't want an answer nor reaction.

I like the last few episodes too. Osmond was great, at least better than his previous visit, albeit you perhaps shouldn't encourage him frequently because he may be used to keep going until there's some natural brake.

Regarding your little & large: yesterday I had to pay a bill. I'm too large to repair my own roof (unless there's an emergency, it's possible). Maybe you have to buy a suit to make you look taller. In the end you can win a social battle, because you are (according to your own standards, of course) dressed to impress. And you can repair your own roof. Beauty is in ...

 
suze
1110982.  Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote

14-11-2014 wrote:
Osmond was great.


Was it Donny or Marie? Surely it wasn't Little Jimmy ...

 
PDR
1110989.  Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:22 pm Reply with quote

CharliesDragon wrote:
Being on one end of the height spectrum also doesn't give me a good indicator, everyone over twelve is either the same height or taller than me, so I'd like to get other views on this.


I think you'll find everyone here would be opposed to treating people differently due to their verticality. I can't be certain of course, but I'm pretty sure that all of the regular contributors would see themselves firmly in the anti-apart-height camp...

PDR

 
PDR
1110990.  Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:25 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
14-11-2014 wrote:
Osmond was great.


Was it Donny or Marie? Surely it wasn't Little Jimmy ...


Oh no - now you've gone and done it!

HOW DO I KILL THE OHRWURM?!

ARRGGHH!!! MY EARS!!

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!

 
'yorz
1111001.  Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote

14-11-2014 wrote:
Good enough for me, and I don't want an answer nor reaction.

A bit up yourself?

 
PDR
1111004.  Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
14-11-2014 wrote:
Good enough for me, and I don't want an answer nor reaction.

A bit up yourself?


What kind of bit? A simple twist-drill or a 50mm 12-flute roughing cutter?

PDR

 
tetsabb
1111008.  Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote

CharliesDragon wrote:

Stephen's trouble talking was also funny. What has his mouth been in contact with to make it misbehave so?


I really can't imagine an answer to this, especially as I have not yet seen it.

 
PDR
1111027.  Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
CharliesDragon wrote:

Stephen's trouble talking was also funny. What has his mouth been in contact with to make it misbehave so?


I really can't imagine an answer to this, especially as I have not yet seen it.


Actually I find someone taking the mick over a temporary verbal stumble to be in poor taste, but each to their own.

PDR

 

Page 1 of 1

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group