View previous topic | View next topic

Series L, Episode 13: Lucky Losers

Page 1 of 1

Ian Dunn
1108786.  Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:29 am Reply with quote

On the subject of which year the Second World War started, Stephen said there is evidence to suggest that it began as early in 1935. I would like to counter that by suggesting that is could have actually started in 1931, because that is when Japan invaded Chinese-ruled Manchuria.

Higgledy
1109700.  Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:27 am Reply with quote

I was very excited to hear about Gympie Gympie as I had a rainforest tour in Queensland (Cape Tribulation) and was warned in no uncertain terms about that stinging plant. We were told that, as well as having a viciously painful sting, the plant left tiny hollow tubes in the skin and if, months later, that area of the skin was rubbed or knocked it could set off the sting all over again. We also heard that David Bellamy had visited that area and, in the interests of science, had touched part of his hand to the leaf. Apparently he confirmed that the sting was, indeed, rather painful.

Jenny
1109752.  Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:38 am Reply with quote

Welcome Higgledy :-)

CharliesDragon
1109930.  Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote

I haven't looked into the plant, but I think warm water would help get the tubes out and at least prevent months-long suffering. Or it might react in the opposite effect and make it a lot worse... Just going off the logic that warm water helps get splinters out, it could work.

I love that Alan got a blue whale bonus after the last blue whale question was nicked from under his nose, though.

As for number of cells, the number given for a human body is presumably just human cells? Because we have a lot of alien cells in us, too. I'm not sure if our varied diet and close contact with other humans and animals would mean we have more alien cells in us, but it seems possible. Not that we're likely to knock the blue whale out of the first place anyway, it's more of a follow-up topic.

swot
1110168.  Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote

On the subject of chlamydia: the NHS is firmly of the opinion that all 16-25 year olds have it, and offer tests at every possible opportunity. A friend who attended Salford University said that he was given money to take a test, so he kept taking them over amd over. The GP surgery I uses when I lived in the city was right at the heart of the university, so the toilet in reception had a big pile of urine sample tubes and a handy flowchart on the wall so you could decide if you needed to use one.

Before I turned 25 I had cause to have examinations Down There on two occasions. Both times after doing the swab she was supposed to be doing, but before removing the speculum, the practioner asked, "While I'm down here*, do you want a chlamydia test?"

They are OBSESSED.

*haaaaaa

Burgess Shale
1110279.  Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:59 am Reply with quote

Is the '35 date for the start of WW2 because of the Italian invasion of Abyssinia, or am I missing something?

suze
1110386.  Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote

That is the usual basis for the 1935 claim, yes. 1935 was also the year when Hitler announced to the world that he repudiated the Treaty of Versailles and would re-arm Germany; he'd actually been re-arming for a couple of years already but it was supposed to be a secret.

A J P Taylor held that WWII begin in 1941, that being the year that the war between Japan and China and the war in Europe merged into one big war.

tetsabb
1110428.  Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote

swot wrote:

Before I turned 25 I had cause to have examinations Down There on two occasions. Both times after doing the swab she was supposed to be doing, but before removing the speculum, the practioner asked, "While I'm down here*, do you want a chlamydia test?"

You're not a koala, are you?

franticllama
1110470.  Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote

[quote="suze"
A J P Taylor held that WWII begin in 1941, that being the year that the war between Japan and China and the war in Europe merged into one big war.[/quote]

Ah A J P Taylor. For our A level history we were told to make sure we used his name and to attribute a quote or two to him. Whether that quote was correct or not was irrelevant.

swot
1110590.  Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:56 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
swot wrote:

You're not a koala, are you?

:)

Page 1 of 1