View previous topic | View next topic

Aptronyms

Page 1 of 1

Caligari
1108781.  Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:52 am Reply with quote

My friend Martin Good's father Paul was a urologist. On the directory board at the Medical Health Centre in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada, he was listed as DR P GOOD, UROLOGY.

(Thread title corrected by QI Moderator.)

Jenny
1108832.  Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:13 pm Reply with quote

Love it! Nominative determinism at its best!

PDR
1108843.  Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote

One of my schoolfriends was called Jonathan Goude. Nothing remarkable in that, but both his parents were musicians and they gave him "Bertram" as a middle name, so he has always been saddled with the name "Jonnie B. Goude".

I also had a friend who on marriage acquired the surname "Sirius". But no matter HOW much we begged her, she refused to name any of their three daughters "Ukant Belinda".

Some people have no sense of fun...

PDR

suze
1108852.  Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote

My late father-in-law was a teacher, and used to claim that he once taught a girl who went by the name Chris Lear. Entirely unremarkable until, or he asserted, he discovered that her proper first name was not Christine but Crystal. Crystal Shanda Lear.

I wouldn't like to say whether or not that is actually true, but here's one that is. Unless you really, really, want to know what fecal bacteriotherapy is all about, take what you can from the name and don't look it up.

One of the leading experts in the field is a Danish-American who does unspeakable things with poo in Duluth MN. His name is Dr Johannes Aas.

CharliesDragon
1108991.  Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:24 pm Reply with quote

"Aa" is pronounced more like "o," though. Or "ou" in "ought" and "thought."

Still, I'm sure people get a laugh out of it.

Caligari
1109155.  Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:32 am Reply with quote

I guess this thread should be called "Aptronyms". I misheard Stephen.

Spud McLaren
1109247.  Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote

You alone can change it...

Well, you or a moderator.

suze
1109261.  Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:28 pm Reply with quote

The Conservative Mayor of Toronto is called John Tory.

There used to be an NFL quarterback called Chuck Long.

NBA basketball player and general purpose idiot Dennis Rodman believes himself to be one of 47 children. His father only admits to 29 (by 16 different women), but either way it seems apt that his name is Philander Rodman.

Somewhere on these forums we have a thread called "nominative determinism" which contains numerous other examples of the genre.

Meanwhile, let me see if I can fix that title ...

Strawberry
1109308.  Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:13 am Reply with quote

The thread about nominative determinism is here. Link

suze
1109466.  Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:38 am Reply with quote

Thanks Strawberry, I was secretly hoping that you'd find it for us!

Strawberry
1109486.  Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote

You're welcome.

Caligari
1112898.  Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote

I tried to change it, Spud, with no success. Luckily a sharp-eyed moderator caught it and fixed things.

PDR
1206512.  Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:02 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
My late father-in-law was a teacher, and used to claim that he once taught a girl who went by the name Chris Lear. Entirely unremarkable until, or he asserted, he discovered that her proper first name was not Christine but Crystal. Crystal Shanda Lear.

A mild thread necrophylism here - for reasons too boring to relate I just had cause to look up and confirm that Bill Lear (he of Lear Jet fame) did indeed have a daughter called "Shanda" with his fourth wife (Moya Marie Olsen). Shanda was always the name her family and friends used as confirmed from multiple sources, but some sources claim that it was her middle name, and her first name was indeed Crystal. I've been unable to confirm this.

PDR

suze
1206524.  Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:20 pm Reply with quote

It sounds like one of those tales.

Somewhere, sometime, there really has been a Crystal Shanda Lear - but the number of people who claim to have been acquainted with her greatly exceeds the number who actually were.

CB27
1206525.  Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:27 pm Reply with quote

So not a clear cut case.

I blame this cold....

Page 1 of 1