View previous topic | View next topic

The Quickest Duck

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

laidbacklazyman
62529.  Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:32 am Reply with quote

A possible question for GI if there's time to get it in.

What is the fastest Duck?

The answer is of course "The Fat Duck" a 3 starred restaurent In Bray Berkshire. The restaurent opened in 1994 and received it's covetted third Michelin star in 2005 making it the fastest restaurent to acheive the accolade. The proprietor himself is QI using a unique scientific approach to food, concentrating on the molecular reactions during "cooking" rather than just heating. One of the desserts on offer is a chocolate mousse that is created by placing a chocolate sauce into a vacuum jar and removing all of the air, creating a dessert close to a dense aero bar. Another on the A la Carte menu, Bacon and egg flavoured Ice cream. His meals don't come cheap mind, The A la Carte is 80 per head and a tasting menu at 97.50 per head. and to cap it off why not enjoy a bottle of Le Montrachet, Dom. Comtes Lafon 1999 at 2510 a bottle

samivel
62548.  Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:13 pm Reply with quote

laidbacklazyman wrote:
and to cap it off why not enjoy a bottle of Le Montrachet, Dom. Comtes Lafon 1999 at 2510 a bottle

Why not? Well, the price, perhaps.

;)

mckeonj
62564.  Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:23 pm Reply with quote

Reminds me of a Norn Irn joke:
Two ducks crossing the road.
One said "Quack!"
The other said "Ah'm goin' as quack as A can!"

tetsabb
62734.  Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:29 am Reply with quote

Is this the place that Michael Winner said (HIGNFY last autmn?) does the best chips in the world?
I wonder how much a plate of chips is!

Ribbo
62764.  Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:37 am Reply with quote

samivel wrote:
laidbacklazyman wrote:
and to cap it off why not enjoy a bottle of Le Montrachet, Dom. Comtes Lafon 1999 at 2510 a bottle

Why not? Well, the price, perhaps.

;)

I'll take two!

Gaazy
63094.  Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:38 am Reply with quote

This could be construed as a cricket question too - the shortest time between walking on to the pitch and the Long Walk Back.

I'm not particularly interested in cricket, and certainly don't possess a copy of Wisden, but I might well have a google and see what turns up.

Gaazy
63103.  Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:47 am Reply with quote

Naah, it's more difficult than I thought. Plenty of references to cricket ducks in the statistics pages, but nothing about the rapidity of them.

laidbacklazyman
63111.  Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:19 pm Reply with quote

the very nature of a duck at cricket means that they all take the same amount of time so none will be quicker.

A duck is strictly speaking being out to the first delivery you face, after that strictly speaking you are out for nought. The other variable you have is that a batsman may be in for 5 or 6 deliveries before he faces his first ball

Tas
63114.  Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:23 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
the very nature of a duck at cricket means that they all take the same amount of time so none will be quicker.

That is not strictly true. It is true of a Golden Duck, where the batsmen is out first ball.
A duck is when the batsmen is out, with scoring, regardless of the number of deliveries faced.

:-)

Tas

suze
63117.  Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:28 pm Reply with quote

Hold on guys.

So a Golden Duck is where a batter gets struck out by the very first pitch thrown his way. If he gets no runs but is not out to the first pitch, then that's a Non-adjectivised Duck. So far, so good.

But from what I have seen of this cricket stuff, not all batters get to the plate at the same speed. Some seem to stroll, have a chat on the way, pass the time of day with the umpire, adjust their protectors, and all the rest of it. Others seem to practically run out to do their stuff, and run back again when struck out.

Are you telling me that nobody in this statistics-filled sport has thought to time all of this?

tetsabb
63121.  Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:37 pm Reply with quote

Indeed, after a quick check on www.cricinfo.com I can tell you that in 1999 Geoff Allott of New Zealand lasted 101 minutes, facing 77 deliveries for no runs.

I suppose the quickest first-ball duck would have to be calculated on distance from dressing room to the square/average walking speed of disgruntled batsperson etcetera.

Enough cricket stats (for now!), as not everyone finds them as QI as do I.

Gaazy
63176.  Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:25 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
not all batters get to the plate at the same speed. Some seem to stroll, have a chat on the way, pass the time of day with the umpire, adjust their protectors, and all the rest of it.

Exactly. A friend of mine in years gone by used a well-worn cricket stats technique which included clock times (e.g. came in to bat @ 1307, faced first ball @ 1313, etc.), so the time used to come out and then *get* out would have been noted under this system.

BondiTram
63180.  Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:11 pm Reply with quote

To be out for a Duck first ball is a Laughing Duck, however if batsmen were paid by the hour it is not necessarily cheap because as has been said that first ball may not be faced for ages.

Salut, David.

gerontius grumpus
63236.  Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:04 am Reply with quote

Even if I could afford the prices at this restaurant I would avoid it.
I wouldn't patronise a pretentious restaurateur just to keep up appearances. I was shocked by a friend who went to Rick Stein's restaurant in Padstow a few years ago and paid 18 for a grilled mackerel. This now seems remarkably cheap by comparison.

Caradoc
63332.  Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:15 pm Reply with quote

gerontius grumpus wrote:
Even if I could afford the prices at this restaurant I would avoid it.
I wouldn't patronise a pretentious restaurateur just to keep up appearances. I was shocked by a friend who went to Rick Stein's restaurant in Padstow a few years ago and paid 18 for a grilled mackerel. This now seems remarkably cheap by comparison.

I'm tempted to open a restaurant called 'the Emperors New Clothes' & charge 250 per head & give them fish & Chips or Sausage & Mash etc, if I could get a few food critics to assist I could retire after 3 months

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next