View previous topic | View next topic

Ken Lee - Not the Malaysian Idol

Page 1 of 1

RumShah
1107447.  Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:37 am Reply with quote

Dunno where Jack Whitelaw got the idea that that the Kenny Lee/Mariah Carey rendition of a Music Idol took place in Malaysia. The panel judges, or contestant, are not speaking anything that's spoken in Malaysia!

RumShah
1107448.  Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:40 am Reply with quote

Oops, perhaps I should've mentioned that this referred to last week's episode (Tissue of Lies - Season 12, episode 10 at about 11 mins into the episode)

suze
1107460.  Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote

No, it wasn't Malaysia. It was in fact Bulgaria.

For anyone who doesn't know what this is about, it concerns a woman called Valentina Hasan who became notorious when she auditioned for a Bulgarian TV show called Music Idol whose format you can probably imagine.

She informed the judges that her audition number would be the Mariah Carey song Ken Lee, although the song she proceeded to murder was actually Badfinger's Without You. (Here, if you dare.)

Ms Carey was exceptionally polite about it when Ms Hasan's rendition was shown to her on a French talk show.

RumShah
1107526.  Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:23 am Reply with quote

Thanks, Suze
Couldn't place the language.
Class act, Ms Carey.
Happy Christmas!

Spud McLaren
1107583.  Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote

Strange, because I saw that clip, or one very much like it°, on one of those "did you see this" type of TV programmes. The narrator, I'm fairly sure, told us the clip came from Malaysian TV.

° I say "one like it" because in my recollection the clip involved 2 singers. Surely....?

14-11-2014
1107590.  Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:03 pm Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
Strange, because I saw that clip, or one very much like it°, on one of those "did you see this" type of TV programmes. The narrator, I'm fairly sure, told us the clip came from Malaysian TV.

° I say "one like it" because in my recollection the clip involved 2 singers. Surely....?

I don't know what they (including QI) have been trying to tell you, but the real original version came from Zvezdelina, Bulgaria. But even she, and her Engrish, is sometimes linked to Malaysia.

Please note that we cannot be sure that she's using the name Ken Lee. The mondegreen-subtitles do suggest the use of that Malaysian'ish name (or "Ken Leeee"), but we just don't know what her lyrics are.

CharliesDragon
1110906.  Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:59 am Reply with quote

I think it's just the way the singer looks that makes people go "Malaysia." Also a bias that Malasian people are bad at English, probably.

Page 1 of 1