View previous topic | View next topic

Same name of a town, different country

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

crissdee
1251316.  Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:15 am Reply with quote

I have lived in East London all my life. I was 22 before I visited Madame Tussauds. A guy I met in the army a year before that, lived in Northampton and had been there twice.

Baryonyx
1251328.  Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:27 am Reply with quote

South Africa or England, crisdee?

AlmondFacialBar
1251331.  Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:29 am Reply with quote

I know the answer to that, but yes, I find it confusing, too.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Alfred E Neuman
1251333.  Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:34 am Reply with quote

Me too!

Baryonyx
1251338.  Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:45 am Reply with quote

Pertinent, given the name of the thread!

Jenny
1251344.  Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:50 am Reply with quote

Pickypete wrote:
Jenny wrote:
When I came over here to live, fifteen years ago, the day before we left the UK Woodsman and I took a trip around Stonehenge, Salisbury, Avebury and their environs. The following day when we landed in the USA and were on the bus driving from Boston to Portland, we became aware that we were driving through a whole set of towns with the same names as the places we'd been the day before!

Boston, Mass is of course named after Boston, Lincs, England, the departure point of The Mayflower and The Speedwell. Portland, Dorset, England was one of the stopping points before Plymouth, Devon and the next stop of falling off the edge of the world (or North America as it is now known).

By the by, I lived in Salisbury, Wilts for several years. How did you manage to do all that visiting in one day? It took me almost my whole time there to see half of it.

Note the phrase "a whole set of towns" - we were travelling from Watford on our day out and therefore went past other towns. And I think our visit to Salisbury was confined to the cathedral and the walk to it from the car park. We didn't, of course, visit Boston in Lincs. :-)

crissdee
1251415.  Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:45 pm Reply with quote

Yes, good point. It is, as AFB well knows, the English one.

Pickypete
1251420.  Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:10 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:

By the by, I lived in Salisbury, Wilts for several years. How did you manage to do all that visiting in one day? It took me almost my whole time there to see half of it.

Note the phrase "a whole set of towns" - we were travelling from Watford on our day out and therefore went past other towns. And I think our visit to Salisbury was confined to the cathedral and the walk to it from the car park. We didn't, of course, visit Boston in Lincs. :-)[/quote]

Yeah, I got that. Boston, Lincs to Salisbury, Wilts is somewhat pushing your itinerary. The Mayflower reference was just me trying, (and failing) to show off some slightly obscure knowledge.
T'is just that you mentioned Avebury and Salisbury in the same sentence, and I thought that even that would require a very short stop, or very fast transport. But as I said, t'was but a by-the-by.

Leith
1251455.  Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:26 pm Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
Big Martin wrote:
The one I wished I'd pulled over to have a look at was Bristol Bridge in Pennsylvania when middle brother lived in the area, having worked within a stone's throw of the original Bristol Bridge for the best part of 43 years.

Did you say you worked at Dyrham Park? Then you must be familiar with Pennsylvania in Gloucestershire.

What you might not know is that there's also a Pennsylvania Farm just outside Bath, not far from where I live. That's two Pennsylvanias within about six miles of each other.

Yes, I briefly wondered which Pennsylvania Martin meant. I'd not encountered Pennsylvania Farm before, though. I believe William Penn had ancestors from the general area (though a little further north), so perhaps there's a family connection.

Leith
1251459.  Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote

Just checking the above, I see the Penns hailed from Minety, so not all that close, but perhaps close enough.

suze
1251466.  Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:27 pm Reply with quote

Leith wrote:
Then you must be familiar with Pennsylvania in Gloucestershire.

That reminded me of Philadelphia, Tyne and Wear, another rare example of an English settlement named after an American one.

The cricket ground in Philadelphia, Tyne and Wear is called Bunker Hill.

AlmondFacialBar
1251474.  Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:46 pm Reply with quote

FWIW, Germany's Northern Plains have several villages called Amerika or Klein Amerika. (Jefferson, ich glaube wir haben uns verfahren. Suze might get this joke if she squints a bit.) Some of those go back to farmsteads whose name commemorated an emigré member of the family, whereas others go back to being in comparatively inaccessible places, making people joke that going there took about the same effort as going to America. There is a particularly tiny Amerika in Lower Saxony that gives joke certificates to tourists as proof they've been there. On a similar note, it's always fun to bring kids to Hollywood, Co. Wicklow, because they get so excited about being in... Well... Hollywood.

AlmondFacialBar

suze
1251487.  Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote

I did have to squint a bit, but very good Madam!

The nearest substantial town to Philadelphia, Tyne and Wear is called Washington. Bryan Ferry comes from Washington, Tyne and Wear, but the town is named after an ancient ancestor of George's.

AlmondFacialBar
1251489.  Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote

I endeavour to give satisfaction (and pride myself in my line of utterly pointless R.E.M. references)...

As for places with the same name in the same country, Rüdesheim and Rüdesheim am Rhein are about half an hour's drive and a ferry crossing apart. Learned that one the hard way after setting the sat nav for the wrong one.

Come to think of it, if you want to discreetly check on a Northern Irish person's political affiliations, you might ask them if they knew that Ireland has two towns by the name of Belleek. The cracker - the lesser known of the two is harmlessly tucked away in Mayo, but the better known one is in Fermanagh. If the next thing you experience is sudden, excruciating pain and you then wake up in hospital, you can safely assume that the person you're talking to is a Unionist...

AlmondFacialBar

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3