View previous topic | View next topic

Same name of a town, different country

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

AlmondFacialBar
1251077.  Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:29 pm Reply with quote

Introducing Carlow:

And Carlow:

One is just across the Wicklow mountains from here, the other is about halfway between Lübeck and Schwerin. Their etymologies are unrelated.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Alfred E Neuman
1251081.  Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote

There is a (plain, vanilla) York about 30km away from where I stay. It consists of a church and a T-junction between two dirt roads. It is the location of the only paper town I've personally come across.

According to the Nokia maps app that was on my phone about twelve years ago, there was an entire town there, with roads shown in what is actually a timber plantation. I reported the "error" to the company who supplied the maps, heard nothing from them (even though they corrected another error I reported) and it was only a while later that I heard about paper towns.

AlmondFacialBar
1251089.  Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote

When you're using dating apps in the capital of this country you get a whole new idea of all the namesakes it's spawned. And occasionally get told by guys from Dublin, Georgia, that it doesn't exist.

Baltimore is, btw, originally in Cork. But then place names in Maryland are a PhD in Irish emigration history waiting to be written anyway.

AlmondFacialBar

AlmondFacialBar
1251092.  Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:54 pm Reply with quote

Btw, how many Newtowns are there on this planet? Newtown, Neustadt, Villeneuve, Naples...

AlmondFacialBar

Jenny
1251097.  Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote

When I came over here to live, fifteen years ago, the day before we left the UK Woodsman and I took a trip around Stonehenge, Salisbury, Avebury and their environs. The following day when we landed in the USA and were on the bus driving from Boston to Portland, we became aware that we were driving through a whole set of towns with the same names as the places we'd been the day before!

'yorz
1251102.  Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote

(UK) Newcastle, Hexham, and Carlisle* also in NSW (Oz).

* 6 (SIX) Carlisles in NSW?!

AlmondFacialBar
1251111.  Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote

There's, amongst many other Irish place names, a Wicklow in Australia. I learned that in a rather bizarre way.

AlmondFacialBar

Big Martin
1251125.  Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:57 am Reply with quote

The one I wished I'd pulled over to have a look at was Bristol Bridge in Pennsylvania when middle brother lived in the area, having worked within a stone's throw of the original Bristol Bridge for the best part of 43 years.

'yorz
1251127.  Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:02 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
There's, amongst many other Irish place names, a Wicklow in Australia. I learned that in a rather bizarre way.

And you leave it at that?

Baryonyx
1251171.  Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:22 am Reply with quote

There's a village near Sheffield called Wales and the nearest point of the 'country' of Wales is about 78 miles walk away, according to google maps.

GuyBarry
1251177.  Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:30 am Reply with quote

Big Martin wrote:
The one I wished I'd pulled over to have a look at was Bristol Bridge in Pennsylvania when middle brother lived in the area, having worked within a stone's throw of the original Bristol Bridge for the best part of 43 years.

Did you say you worked at Dyrham Park? Then you must be familiar with Pennsylvania in Gloucestershire.

What you might not know is that there's also a Pennsylvania Farm just outside Bath, not far from where I live. That's two Pennsylvanias within about six miles of each other.

AlmondFacialBar
1251219.  Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:06 am Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
AlmondFacialBar wrote:

And you leave it at that?

It's called grooming your audience... :-p

A couple of years ago in December a German friend inboxed me rather more enthusiastically than usual saying that I'd absolutely love the Christmas prezzie she had just taken to the post office for me.

Christmas came and went, no present. In January, a card arrived from her. That all? Two days after that a jiffy bag arrived from the same address that had obviously been torn open quite roughly and resealed with rather official looking sticky tape. That was the point at which I noticed that the card didn't have a stamp on it, so obviously it had fallen out of the jiffy bag and therefore been delivered separately. A closer look revealed the sticky tape to be from Australian customs. On opening the bag the first thing that fell into my hands was a leaflet from them detailing which food stuffs could and couldn't be imported into their country. Finally then I found the present, two boxes of woodruff flavour jelly powder. In fairness, I did love it, but wow! Frechen to Arklow via Oz, because there's a Wicklow there, too, and some bright spark at the German post office (I guess) had confused them.

Picture proof:

https://goo.gl/bdJb83

AlmondFacialBar

'yorz
1251222.  Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:19 am Reply with quote

Teehee! Happened to me also, in a grey past - also via Oz.

Pickypete
1251245.  Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:01 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
When I came over here to live, fifteen years ago, the day before we left the UK Woodsman and I took a trip around Stonehenge, Salisbury, Avebury and their environs. The following day when we landed in the USA and were on the bus driving from Boston to Portland, we became aware that we were driving through a whole set of towns with the same names as the places we'd been the day before!

Boston, Mass is of course named after Boston, Lincs, England, the departure point of The Mayflower and The Speedwell. Portland, Dorset, England was one of the stopping points before Plymouth, Devon and the next stop of falling off the edge of the world (or North America as it is now known).

By the by, I lived in Salisbury, Wilts for several years. How did you manage to do all that visiting in one day? It took me almost my whole time there to see half of it.

Alfred E Neuman
1251254.  Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:14 am Reply with quote

Pickypete wrote:
By the by, I lived in Salisbury, Wilts for several years. How did you manage to do all that visiting in one day? It took me almost my whole time there to see half of it.

Jenny’s broomstick is notoriously nippy.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next