View previous topic | View next topic

Independence, 1776

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Spud McLaren
1105411.  Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:17 am Reply with quote

I don't know (yet), but it wasn't America, because that isn't the name of a country as such, and it wasn't the USA because the then 13 states didn't begin the process of confederation until 1777 (Virginia being first to ratify the Articles of Confederation in Dec 1777 and Maryland being last in March 1781).

CharliesDragon
1105421.  Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:01 am Reply with quote

Wikipedia didn't throw up anything on the quick search I did (which was just checking their page on major stuff happening that year), so I have a feeling it's not a well-known fact... which is what we strive for here, after all!

Finland was crushed under the thumb of the Swedish king at the time, so that's not the answer.

Spud McLaren
1105424.  Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:35 am Reply with quote

I'm going to stick with my earlier reason for saying "not the USA", assume that's what suze was driving at, and answer "none".

Posital
1105432.  Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote

The Cherokee nation became independent of their bodies?

suze
1105443.  Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote

The klaxon has been correctly avoided.

While the thirteen colonies declared independence on 2 (not 4) July 1776, they didn't really get independence until the Revolutionary War had been won and the Treaty of Paris had happened.

De jure that would make Independence Day 12 May 1784, but in practice Britain had stopped telling the Americans what to do a bit earlier.

There are several dates which one could assert as being the date on which the US genuinely became de facto independent. I might argue for 19 Oct 1781, when the British surrendered at Yorktown and started to make arrangements to go home.

So no, not the USA. But Flash doesn't care for general ignorance questions which have only a wrong answer and no right answer, and I think there is also a right answer.

That is to say, Wikipedia does provide a right answer in one place (which is how I came to the question - I stumbled across that right answer while looking for something else entirely). Other articles aren't entirely consistent and it looks as though that right answer may be debatable, but even so there are points on offer for anyone who gives it.

ali
1105445.  Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote

My best guess was Cooch Behar, but they shook off the Bhutanese tyranny in 1772, not 1776. Good question :)

suze
1105479.  Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote

The answer I have in mind is Thailand (or Siam, as it was known until 1939).

The Ayutthaya dynasty which had ruled Siam for four hundred years fell to marauding Burmese invaders in 1767, and for a few years the country descended into virtual anarchy and a hundred squabbling petty princes.

But then came Taksin the Great, a former monk who had given up monking in favour of soldiering. He kicked the Burmese out, reunified the country, and established a new capital at Bangkok. Just as with the USA above, one could posit a number of dates for precisely when Siam became de facto a single independent nation once again, but at least one source reckons that this happened in 1776.

tetsabb
1105537.  Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:53 am Reply with quote

Quote:
who had given up monking in favour of soldiering.

That is quite a career change.

Spud McLaren
1105676.  Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:34 am Reply with quote

Not necessarily. There are quite a few Buddhist countries who keep a reserve of soldier-monks.

crissdee
1105808.  Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Britain had stopped telling the Americans what to do a bit earlier.

More accurately, the Americans had stopped listening!

Also, some other famous warrior monks were the Knights Templar, fabled guardians of the Holy Grail (or possibly not)

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk
1247235.  Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:58 am Reply with quote

I don't know about 1776 but three other countries celebrate the 4th of July
A. The Philippines, because independence was granted on that day in 1946.
B. Rwanda, because the US helped end the genocide on that date in 1994.
C. Denmark, an excuse for a party apparently though it seemed to start with European expats in 1911.

Dix
1247236.  Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:06 am Reply with quote

Do enlighten us. What happens in Denmark on the 4th of July?

suze
1247278.  Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:11 pm Reply with quote

Apparently this is all to do with a parcel of land near Aalborg which the Danish-American Friendship Society bought in 1912 and then donated to Kongeriget Danmark to be replanted with heather.

The one condition of this gift, to which Christian X agreed, was that this corner of the north of Denmark must henceforward celebrate US Independence Day each 4 July. So it does, and American celebrities pitch up each year to help the locals sing patriotic songs, eat hot dogs, and so on.

This piece from the LA Times is nearly thirty years old, but the custom doesn't seem to have changed since.

'yorz
1247280.  Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote

But that was in 1912. duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk mentions 1911.

Dix
1247310.  Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:41 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Apparently this is all to do with a parcel of land near Aalborg which the Danish-American Friendship Society bought in 1912 and then donated to Kongeriget Danmark to be replanted with heather.

The one condition of this gift, to which Christian X agreed, was that this corner of the north of Denmark must henceforward celebrate US Independence Day each 4 July. So it does, and American celebrities pitch up each year to help the locals sing patriotic songs, eat hot dogs, and so on.

This piece from the LA Times is nearly thirty years old, but the custom doesn't seem to have changed since.

Yes, I know. It's a private organisation of people with ties to USA celebrating USA's independence. Gifting the land to the State of Denmark with a clause on it for its use one day every year doesn't make it an official "state" celebration.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next