View previous topic | View next topic

Lying - Group Captain Cunningham

Page 1 of 1

Pintcrusher
1105295.  Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote

The show mentioned the use of carrots as a ruse to fool the Germans and prevent them from looking into our radar achievements.
The show introduced Group Captain "Cat's Eye" Cunningham one of our most decorated night-fighter aces and was born in Croydon.
My local hostelry in New Addington, Croydon was named "The Cunningham" to honour him - much better than a CBE.

Unfortunately, the pub has become a victim of the decline in popularity of "real" pubs and the site has now succumbed to the German invasion with a Lidl store on the site.

The Cunningham and "Cat's Eye" live on in our memories.

14-11-2014
1105327.  Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote

Pintcrusher wrote:
The Cunningham and "Cat's Eye" live on in our memories.

So does QI S03E05.

Jenny
1105331.  Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote

Welcome Pintcrusher :-)

Ian Dunn
1105361.  Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:54 am Reply with quote

Spotted a mistake in last night's episode - something I think which has also been a mistake in the QI Podcast in the past.

The McMurdo Dry Valleys in Victoria Land are not the driest part of Antarctica. It is Ridge A in Queen Maud Land. It is the driest, the coldest and the calmest place on Earth.

Source: Live Science

CharliesDragon
1105495.  Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:20 am Reply with quote

I'm watching the XL version now, and I feel like they recycled the carrot fact. They did add the bit about making carrots extra appealing to kids, and the carrot lollies were entertaining (but how did they not forsee the problem with Alan's? Or did they?) but it was still mostly recycled.

The gibberish-sounding-like-English was a bit frustrating to me who has English as a second language. I was straining to make any sense of it. Sometimes if there's a lot of background noise or a very unfamiliar accent it will sound mostly like gibberish to me. At the same time I find it fascinating that we can recognise the syntax and such as English, and the same mechanism is probably what allows us to recognise languages we don't know, but has heard a bit of. I don't know either Spanish or French, but I can generally tell them apart, both when spoken and written.

The What The Hell effect seems to be related to the reward system of the brain. I am also very uncreative when it comes to drawing and such (I do enjoy writing stories from time to time) and I'm generally a crappy liar. That is apparently the reason I haven't done well in life thus far, though... That's a depressing thought.

"The dryest place on Earth is in Antarctica" is also a recycled fact...

extremophilesheep
1105538.  Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:58 am Reply with quote

I knew about the carrots from watching Horrible Histories (a lovely sketch about how carrots are not very helpful at all with seeing in the dark), aswell as Wartime Farm watching Ruth Goodman doing all kinds of things with carrots for a Christmas Meal....

14-11-2014
1105547.  Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:26 am Reply with quote

CharliesDragon wrote:
I'm watching the XL version now, and I feel like they recycled the carrot fact.

In both versions. Series C: Carrots, Cat's Eye & Cunningham.

RLDavies
1105551.  Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:43 am Reply with quote

Carrots are kind of helpful when it comes to seeing in the dark. One symptom of vitamin A deficiency is night blindness. So if you're deficient in vitamin A and then eat carrots (or other A-rich vegetables), your night vision will improve back to normal. If you've already got normal vision, stuffing yourself with carrots won't make it any better.

swot
1105597.  Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote

Recycled facts aside, it was a very enjoyable episode. The opening experiment was good, and Mr Hills excelled himself with all the correct answers.

Troux
1105671.  Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:49 am Reply with quote

Carrots, dry deserts and the platypus discovery (XL only) were all recycled QI facts. A bit disappointing, that.

Also, the input from the audience has been quite heavy this season. I'm surprised we didn't hear another "This was on QI before!"

Also, that Italian song....1972?!?!? It sounds like just the sort of thing people (alright, myself included) were listening to in the early 1990's. well done on his part.

PDR
1105675.  Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:05 am Reply with quote

There is the minor point that John Cunningham's exploits were described in terms of bombing missions over europe, when in reality he was a nightfighter pilot who (as a result) flew almost exclusively over the UK and home waters.

It might have been poignant (given the "lies" theme) to have briefly reflected on the way that Cunningham spent the last 13 years of his life in abject poverty after being lied to by underwriters in the Lloyds "Names Scandal" of 1988.

PDR

suze
1105731.  Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote

Troux wrote:
Also, that Italian song....1972?!?!? It sounds like just the sort of thing people (alright, myself included) were listening to in the early 1990's. well done on his part.

It really was 1972, yes. Signor Celentano is 76 by now but still performs the song on TV shows from time to time, usually with longstanding friend and fellow Italian pop star Rafaella Carrą. Here is the original video, though.

The song was a major hit in Belgium, France, and the Netherlands as well as Italy, but did not trouble Britain or North America.

Terry60
1105949.  Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:19 am Reply with quote

As previously mentioned, Cunningham was not a bomber pilot, but flew Beaufighter Night Fighters out of Middle Wallop, Hants during the Battle of Britain and into 1941.
The propaganda/intelligence origins of his hated nickname are detailed in the autobiography of his navigator/radar operator C. F. Rawnsley "Night Fighter" (published in 1957) at the end of chapter four.
It was a crude attempt to cover the top-secret nature of the true reason for his first radar "kill" on the moonless night of Nov 20 1940.

Jenny
1105989.  Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote

Interesting! Welcome to the forums Terry60 :-)

Page 1 of 1