View previous topic | View next topic

What episode was the "perceptual sphere" mentioned

Page 1 of 1

Sci
1103309.  Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:27 am Reply with quote

Hi, I joined up on these forums because I'm struggling to remember details of something mentioned on the show. I can't remember from what episode though.

I remember Steven mentioned it in relation to the way our consciousness can accomodate for the difference between the speed of light and sound reaching us, but only up to a certain limit. That once the time difference is past that limit, the sound and image of an event appear to happen seperately. I think he said it means that anything that happens within a 60m sphere of a person is our sphere of consciousness, or perceptual sphere or such, but I can't recall the specific term used for sure.

So yeah, brain's compensation between speed of light & sound meaning events within a certain distance are perceived/recognised as the same event.

I hope someone can shed some light on this, because I can't look up more details without getting the correct terms.

Jenny
1103364.  Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:07 pm Reply with quote

Welcome Sci :-)

I can't answer the question, but somebody else may remember, or you might look up https://sites.google.com/site/qitranscripts/transcripts

Sci
1103466.  Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Welcome Sci :-)

I can't answer the question, but somebody else may remember, or you might look up https://sites.google.com/site/qitranscripts/transcripts

Thankyou very much for the link!

Searching for spatial, consciousness, awareness and similar don't turn up the snippet I was holping for however. That does at least suggest the fact came after series 8, which is where the current transcripts are up to.

Looking at the full list of episodes, it might be from "Lying". As in how your brain lies to you. I will attempt to hunt down the specific episode.

Flash
1103498.  Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:59 pm Reply with quote

Sci, I'm pretty sure we've never covered this topic on the show. Certainly I don't recognise it, and I know the shows very well indeed, particularly the more recent series.

If you do find it, either in QI or elsewhere, I'd be interested in hearing about it. If it hasn't been covered on the show it sounds like it should be.

Sci
1103502.  Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:52 pm Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
Sci, I'm pretty sure we've never covered this topic on the show. Certainly I don't recognise it, and I know the shows very well indeed, particularly the more recent series.

If you do find it, either in QI or elsewhere, I'd be interested in hearing about it. If it hasn't been covered on the show it sounds like it should be.

Well I'll be quite embarassed if it was in another show or I dreamt it or somesuch, but nevertheless I think I've found it mentioned outside of the show after another few rounds of associated search-terms.

The “horizon of simultaneity” as described here in Perception of Synchrony between the Senses. Though it seems it's a 10-15m distance, not the 60m I recalled.

Flash
1103514.  Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:33 am Reply with quote

Thanks

Page 1 of 1