View previous topic | View next topic

Lethal

Page 1 of 1

Ian Dunn
1102564.  Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:11 am Reply with quote

I always wondered about the cannibalism question, and whether it was legal or illegal under law. I'm just imaging someone from Lancashire making black pudding from human blood. I wonder if eggshaped would be up for that.

Also, Alan's score was not mentioned. Does anyone know what it was?

Posital
1102571.  Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:58 am Reply with quote

Would drinking someone's pee fall into the category?

suze
1102573.  Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:04 am Reply with quote

I don't know whether it was the source of the question, but I posted about the matter of cannibalism (legality of) at post 803982 et seq.

The tricky bit is lawful possession of a human cadaver. Killing people, stealing cadavers from the morgue, and digging up buried cadavers are all in general illegal. But if you can find a way to get your raw meat, then you are at liberty to cook and eat it.

As for human black pudding, it's been done. A couple of Scottish artists planned to make some on stage back in 2005; environmental health took an interest and they weren't allowed to do that, but they still exhibited a human black pudding they had prepared earlier.

At least one published cookery book contains a recipe for it, viz Ramsay, C (ed) (2012). The Killer Cookbook. Dundee: Discovery Press. This is an anthology of recipes supplied by crime novelists, and the black pudding recipe came from Scottish writer Craig Robertson. Ian Rankin's contribution was a less controversial mushroom soup.

RLDavies
1102575.  Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:10 am Reply with quote

Apparently "cannibalism" is defined by US law as being non-consensual.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/cannibalism

The beginning of the above webpage:

Quote:
Cannibalism is the nonconsensual consumption of another human's body matter. In the United States, there are no laws against cannibalism per se, but the act of cannibalism would probably violate laws against murder and against desecration of corpses.

The British formally outlawed cannibalism in the early 1800s. By most accounts, it was the spread of Western religion and law into pre-industrial societies that extinguished many cannibalistic practices. In countries with established legal infrastructure—that is, in which they were economically successful enough to afford courts—cannibalism had already been made rare.

It goes on to discuss two major cases: cannibalism for survival, and the recent German "consensual" case.

Alfred E Neuman
1102578.  Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:38 am Reply with quote

Where does the whole spit or swallow come into the debate?

CharliesDragon
1102583.  Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:32 am Reply with quote

Depends on if you're pro-life or pro-choice, I guess. :P

Alfred E Neuman
1102589.  Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:54 am Reply with quote

Pro-choice. It's entirely up to her.

14-11-2014
1102596.  Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote

Dr. Death should have used at least one question with a different answer. Pressing the same button more than once is a common error, and always having to press one button isn't the best test. The displayed procedure is efficient, but a safer procedure should perhaps be more important than efficiency.

eggshaped
1102838.  Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:50 am Reply with quote

suze, this was one of those occasions when an elf independently brought the suggestion that cannibalism was not illegal to the table, and I remembered that you had posted about it, and so we definitely read through your analysis when we were writing the question.

Ian, I remember that Alan wasn't too far from Jason's score, it was something like -16 I think, but I just checked the full recording, and Stephen never mentioned it, so that's the best guess I can give, I'm afraid.

And I'm fine for human blood black pudding thank you!

RLDavies
1102842.  Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:01 am Reply with quote

I'd be a bit squeamish about human black pudding, but because of the disease risk rather than any anti-cannibalistic instincts.

Page 1 of 1