What is the most intelligent animal?

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Peeeeeteeeee
1101950.  Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:38 pm Reply with quote

Except that an Amoeba is not an animal.

Peeeeeteeeee
1101955.  Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote

I guess it depends on what you mean by a vacuum.

In the scientific sense, animals can not live in a vacuum. Therefore there is not intelligence from animals in a vacuum, therefore there is no relevance to the original question.......but I'm not sure you were going for relevance.

CharliesDragon
1101983.  Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote

I don't know, I think quite a few dust bunnies have taken up residence in our vacuum. :P

PDR
1102027.  Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:56 am Reply with quote

Peeeeeteeeee wrote:

In the scientific sense, animals can not live in a vacuum.

Only if you restrict your definition of "animal" to "terrestial types of animal". It is quite possible to conceive of types of organism which could exist and thrive in interplanetary, or even intersteller space.

PDR

Peeeeeteeeee
1102054.  Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote

I definitely need to restrict it to animals. Humans need to be on top. I don't want to be second best to bacteria.

Yes, there are other life forms that can survive in a vacuum. I can't remember what they are called....I think it starts with P.

Peeeeeteeeee
1102055.  Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:33 pm Reply with quote

The interesting thing is....size does not seem to matter.

Apart from the fact that there are microscopic things that are certainly more efficient that us humans, assuming there are no other animals on this thread (if so you're in the running), all the other animals that seem to be quite intelligent are all different sizes. Not only that, they live in different parts of the world and different environments.

The animals that have been suggested to me are:
Chimp
Kea
Killer Whale
Elephant
Alien

I don't want to add a Pole to this thread because I don't think an
intelligent way to decide the answer is by using a vote of the people who want to vote. I think that UKIP comment earlier proves this. Although looking in to England from the outside, I'm a bit of a fan of UKIP. The same way I like watching UK comedy's about how depressing England can be.

CharliesDragon
1102066.  Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote

Peeeeeteeeee wrote:
I definitely need to restrict it to animals. Humans need to be on top. I don't want to be second best to bacteria.

I'm sort of wondering what your problem is if humans have to be on top and you can't bear to come second. Even if we or someone else concluded bacteria or elephants or whatever to be smarter in some way, it doesn't change the fact that we invented the Internet, among other things, and it's highly unlikely a killer whale will steal your job because they're seen as more capable.

If humans have to be on top of this scale, the correct question to ask is "What animal has cognitive abilities most resembling humans?" which I suggested early on.

Either way I'm gonna be mesmerised by the abilities of different animals, whether it has something to do with intelligence or not.

suze
1102068.  Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:08 pm Reply with quote

Peeeeeteeeee wrote:
I don't want to add a Pole to this thread because I don't think an intelligent way to decide the answer is by using a vote of the people who want to vote.

If you were to add a Pole, do you suppose anyone would consider her the most intelligent animal?

I wouldn't, but hey.

PDR
1102078.  Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote

Every time a Pole emigrates the mean IQ of both countries rises...

PDR

PDR
1102079.  Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:51 pm Reply with quote

CharliesDragon wrote:
...it's highly unlikely a killer whale will steal your job because they're seen as more capable.

Unless you happen to work in an arctic seal-hunting team, in which case the orca would be a serious threat, of course.

PDR

CharliesDragon
1102084.  Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote

Might be hard to to get it to give up the seal, though. Apparently it's possible to train birds to fish for you, but I imagine the killer whale would object more to it.

Peeeeeteeeee
1102345.  Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote

I thinks most people who say, are you sure humans are number one are not over estimating other animals. They are under estimating humans. Maybe, not realizing what we can do.

Creating the internet was a good example, but were we showing more intelligence in the creation of the internet, or figuring out what we wanted to create?

The answer to this might be a clue as to what exactly we mean by intelligence.

CharliesDragon
1102349.  Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote

I'm mostly saying that our evolutionary road has led us to intelligence, other animals have needed speed or camuflage or other things to survive and I'm a bit sick of the whole "Humans are the greatest thing ever" attitude. Yes, the human brain is amazing, but so is everything from moss to albatrosses, if you look at the right properties. The human-centric view is also apparent in every movie or TV series that deal with the end of the world, including Doctor Who. Could we just for once get a line about how it would also destroy every unique animal on Earth? Which humans are part of, but we don't own the bloody planet.

Troux
1102374.  Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:22 am Reply with quote

CharliesDragon wrote:
I'm mostly saying that our evolutionary road has led us to intelligence, other animals have needed speed or camuflage or other things to survive and I'm a bit sick of the whole "Humans are the greatest thing ever" attitude. Yes, the human brain is amazing, but so is everything from moss to albatrosses, if you look at the right properties. The human-centric view is also apparent in every movie or TV series that deal with the end of the world, including Doctor Who. Could we just for once get a line about how it would also destroy every unique animal on Earth? Which humans are part of, but we don't own the bloody planet.

While I think that humans are, overall, probably the 'best' animals in a holistic sense of capability and accomplishment, I also know that we're living in a balance that relies on our many internal bacteria and the countless items of food - which were all alive at some point. We're nothing without a proliferation of various other species. I also understand that "By our illustrious endurance and resilience, we've survived....but we'll die within a month" doesn't make for a heartwarming movie ending.

I do wish we - on the whole - could put more empha$i$ on biological research, as the depth of what we don't yet know seems to be relegated to esoteric theory, and there is so much to gain if we could only learn to emulate and utilize our natural counterparts. I don't know if it's even quantifiable, but I recall reading that plants are still much better at photosynthesis than our panels are, for instance.

Posital
1102434.  Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote

Peeeeeteeeee wrote:
Creating the internet was a good example, but were we showing more intelligence in the creation of the internet, or figuring out what we wanted to create?
Between you and me, I did neither.

But I'm happy for you to make that mistake, since I would like to have invented it...

I suspect there are a few others in this position...

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next