View previous topic | View next topic

What is the most intelligent animal?

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Peeeeeteeeee
1101361.  Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:28 pm Reply with quote

What I really mean is what is the second most intelligent animal in the world? (Humans being number one).

Spud McLaren
1101364.  Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote

First of all we need to establish whether the assumption (that humans are the first) is well-founded.

CharliesDragon
1101365.  Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote

I think the question needs to be rephrased. "What animal has cognitive abilities most resembling humans?" I think that will do...

Although it's not really related to intelligence, today I stumbled over some pictures of Kanzi the bonobo who likes to make fires and barbecue. Pictures.

Peeeeeteeeee
1101372.  Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:32 pm Reply with quote

Yes, humans are the most intelligent. I mean, we actually made up the word 'intelligence'.

There is no other animal on Earth that has the ability to think like we do. In fact, can even think about this statement as we do.

I believe humans are the only animal capable of thinking about thinking.

Peeeeeteeeee
1101498.  Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:17 pm Reply with quote

I thinks the chimpanzee is definitely in the running for the number two spot.

My question is definitely "What is the second most intelligent animal in the world?". What defines intelligence is part of the question.

Most definition point towards, the facility the understand or the capacity to learn or reason. The ability to comprehend meaning. In other words, to put knowledge to use.

There also seems to be debate as to whether intelligence can be developed or whether you are born with a certain amount of intelligence of which not all of it may be being used.

Intelligence come from the Latin word intelligentia, but I can not find an exact meaning for it right now.

Peeeeeteeeee
1101500.  Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote

The problem with most studies I have seen is, they are done by people or organizations who only study that type of animal. For example, people who study birds may say the Kea. People who study primates, the chimp. Others who study the ocean animals may say the killer whale.

One website I saw put pigs at number two!? Another had horses in the top ten!?

Spud McLaren
1101506.  Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote

Peeeeeteeeee wrote:
Yes, humans are the most intelligent.
So you said before, but that's merely an assertion. I repeat, we need to establish whether it's true.
Quote:
I mean, we actually made up the word 'intelligence'.
For all I (and you) know, dolphins may have a series of clicks and squeaks that mean "intelligence".

Quote:
I believe humans are the only animal capable of thinking about thinking.
You may be right. Then again...

CharliesDragon
1101536.  Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quote

Peeeeeteeeee wrote:

My question is definitely "What is the second most intelligent animal in the world?". What defines intelligence is part of the question.

I'll come back in about ten pages time when people have maybe agreed on something...

"Intelligence" is really an obscure thing, in many ways, and measuring other animals against our kind of intelligence is nearly useless, as we have developed a big brain to deal with our habitat and surviving, but we don't stand a chance against a chimp's strength or a horse's speed.

I think some of the problem is news headlines like "Kea birds proven to be as smart as four year old children" or whatever you have. Different animals may have different sort of intelligence based on their habitat and needs, and I think the original scientific rapport, although probably dry as crust, merely lists what the animal is able to work out without drawing wild conclusions as to their intelligence. That may just be me being hopeful, though, and I'm fascinated by keas ability to solve problems no matter how it compares to ours.

At last, I'd like to suggest elephants as very intelligent animals, because the matriarch can remember watering spots she hasn't been to for fifty years, and they are very socially intelligent.

Peeeeeteeeee
1101670.  Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote

Your probably right CharliesDragon. Measuring other animals against our sort of intelligence is nearly useless, but I still want to do it. Probably over half of what people do in life (particularly in science) is nearly useless.

I don't know enough about elephants to know exactly where they fit in the scale of intelligence, but I'm sure they are above pigs and horses.

I'm not quite sure if social intelligence is actually intelligence. I guess it depends on how you define it. Some people define it as something able to be taught. I think that what they really mean is showing social intelligence can be taught.

I'm not sure if people will be able to work out what I'm getting at. I'm starting to confuse myself......I'll stop and come back to it.

Peeeeeteeeee
1101671.  Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote

I think I can prove humans are the most intelligent. We made QI!

CharliesDragon
1101685.  Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:59 pm Reply with quote

Heh, good point.

I fully count social intelligence as an important aspect of humans (and intelligence in general), even if I can get annoyed at people who seem to only have that and not "normal" intelligence related to problem solving and comprehending things. We're social animals, we wouldn't be so successful without social intelligence.

Spud McLaren
1101802.  Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote

Peeeeeteeeee wrote:
I think I can prove humans are the most intelligent. We made QI!
< knocks king piece over >

PDR
1101805.  Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:49 pm Reply with quote

You might want to pick that king up again, Spud. After all, I can say with no significant fear of refutation that no bottle-nosed dolphin has ever written "your" when it meant "you're", and nor ha one ever voted UKIP, so they could be back in the running...

PDR

Peeeeeteeeee
1101809.  Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:25 pm Reply with quote

You knew I meant you're. That takes a special type of intelligence. I wonder how many animals can do that?

Posital
1101843.  Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:35 am Reply with quote

Can intelligence exist in a vacuum?

If intelligence is defined as being able to generate the skills or knowledge to be able to attain your goals - then the human race has a long way to go.

If this is the case, then I think amoeba are in the running...

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next