View previous topic | View next topic

NEVER believe your parents, kids!

Page 1 of 1

Johnboythemagnificent
1101004.  Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:09 pm Reply with quote

Enjoyed this week's show, as always, but the subject of gas powered radios and other electrical appliances, marketed as competition to the straightforward electrically powered ones in the inter-war years, arose, and reminded me of an incident from my own childhood.

In 1959, when I was seven, I was taken on a camping holiday near Porthcawl in South Wales, in a field which was ajoined by a well known holiday caravan park. Of course, as is the way with children of that age, I was soon playing with the kids from the caravans, and was taken inside one (a caravan, that is, not a kid), a new experience for me. When I came 'home' to the tent, I told my parents all about my adventure, and that everything, by which I meant the cooker and the lights, in the caravan 'worked' by Calor Gas, another thing new to me.

A child should, of course, be able to rely absolutely on it's parents for truthful, accurate, and, most importantly of all, honest information about the world, and I trusted mine without question. This did not stop my beloved mother informing me, with a completely straight face, that one could also buy gas televisions. After all, from the point of view of a trusting and innocent 7 year old, it made complete sense; the gas would provide the light to see what was on the tv, as well as 'making it go', wouldn't it? Obviously it would not be as good as a proper electric tv like we had at home, but ok for people in caravans.

I believed this for several years, and when, during my late teens, somebody told me about having a new gas fridge installed, I was having none of it!

Nobody fools me twice...

Ian Dunn
1101005.  Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums Johnboythemagnificent. ^_^

suze
1101009.  Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote

A gas-powered television set was demonstrated in Australia in 1965.

Whether it ever became commercially available I don't know, but there's no technical reason why you can't have gas TVs.

djgordy
1101016.  Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote

Actually, about half the TVs in the country are gas powered. It's just that the the latent energy in the gas is converted to electrickery in the power station, rather than in the appliance.

bemahan
1101017.  Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote

I lived in a nurses' home in the 1980s that had a gas iron.

Ian Dunn
1101049.  Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:17 am Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
Actually, about half the TVs in the country are gas powered. It's just that the the latent energy in the gas is converted to electrickery in the power station, rather than in the appliance.

Is this a akin to the "Future" episode when it was mentioned that there were no such thing as nuclear powered vacuum cleaners. Technically there are, it just that the nuclear power comes from the power plant, which is connected to the National Gird, the mains, and then to the hoover?

Traveller69
1101282.  Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:26 am Reply with quote

Refridgerators in caravans can still work with gas. Most, if not all, have a switch for 3 conditions:
- normal electricity (when hooked up to a land line)
- car electricity (can drain your battery, when your car doesn't switch this off when the motor is not running)
- gas - when stationary with no land line available.

Page 1 of 1