View previous topic | View next topic

Liblabble

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Troux
1101302.  Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:18 am Reply with quote

Also my favorite episode thus far, and I was pleased to see the familiar Dutch tears shown in full effect. I was actually expecting Stephen to screw it up and hammer the tail by accident. :P

I remember an earlier episode where Phill called out Stephen for wearing the Cadbury's livery. He's definitely gotten a little silly with his outfits, I wonder if they have a dedicated elf for dressing him.

swot
1101428.  Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:11 am Reply with quote

I'm sure you meant "picking his clothes for him", but I had a mental image of one of the elves helping Mr Fry into his trousers and buttoning his shirt for him.

CharliesDragon
1101429.  Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:16 am Reply with quote

Aristocrats used to have people dressing them, so it's not too far-fetched...

AlmondFacialBar
1101437.  Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote

Though Stephen's pedigree is about as far removed from aristocracy as it's possible to be while still being English. Have you never seen his episode of Who do you think you are? The workhouse and debtors prison featured...

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Ian Dunn
1101442.  Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Though Stephen's pedigree is about as far removed from aristocracy as it's possible to be while still being English. Have you never seen his episode of Who do you think you are? The workhouse and debtors prison featured...

And if I remember rightly Auschwitz also featured.

CharliesDragon
1101468.  Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, I've seen it, but they do mock him on the show sometimes. He was in Prince Charles's wedding, I think it's not a stretch to say he's a notable member of society.

I do love his stories of his Hungarian (?) grandfather, though it is a bit different knowing the extended family history...

Troux
1101487.  Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:23 pm Reply with quote

swot wrote:
I'm sure you meant "picking his clothes for him", but I had a mental image of one of the elves helping Mr Fry into his trousers and buttoning his shirt for him.

I was unsure as I typed it, actually. I do remember the episode where he mentioned his grade-school tailor.

dr.bob
1101563.  Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:36 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:

Reading the article about Stephen in "Who Do You Think You Are" magazine, it mentions that one of his great-great grandparents was an inmate of the workhouse in Lewisham.

Given that any human being has 16 great-great grandparents*, I don't think it's entirely impossible to have one of them go to the workhouse, but still have a family tree that's pretty high up the social ladder.

Not that I think Stephen is particularly aristocratic, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that most of his family were comfortably off and from the middle classes. They wouldn't be featured on the show, though, since "Wealthy middle-class celebrity has wealthy middle-class ancestors" doesn't really make for terribly good TV.

*Insert your own Norfolk joke here

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2