View previous topic | View next topic

Dylan Thomas

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

CharliesDragon
1101824.  Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote

Anything calling itself "hilarious" or "funny" is sure to not be that funny. If it is actually hilarious, they don't need to beat you over the head with the fact.

Robert Padam
1101980.  Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:03 pm Reply with quote

Can't pretend I really understand what you mean in this context. The closing remark is usually truthfuly humurous, or quirky or surprising or occasionally moving.
Perhaps Stephen was just quoting from 'The Big Boy's Bumper Book of The Inane' instead... oh no, he couldn't be because that would have meant the remark wouldn't have been inane. I do see what you mean.

Zziggy
1102007.  Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:51 am Reply with quote

To be honest, I've seen many 'closing remarks' that I have either known to be untrue or recognised as a klaxon from a previous episode. I was a bit annoyed the first time, but now (as others have said) I just assume that the ending lines are just designed to be a humourous or thought-provoking goodbye, and not subject to the same requirements as the rest of the show.

Robert Padam
1102087.  Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:56 pm Reply with quote

I do understand what you mean but as the remark was neither humourous nor thought-provoking (what wouldn't be even slightly thought-provoking you might argue) then it could have at least been accurate.
I doubt if Stephen would be so casual if it was Oscar Wilde, whose last words are frequently misquoted as, "This wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. Either it goes or I do." At least that was intended to be amusing but was said quite some time before he died. Better though than the Catholic prayer he actually mumbled at the end.

djgordy
1102109.  Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:30 am Reply with quote

In case you haven't seen it, there is a biopic out about Dylan Thomas and his drunken tour of the USA. It is called "Set Fire to the Stars", with Celyn Jones and Elijah Wood. music by actual Welsh person Gruff Rhys.

www.theguardian.com/film/2014/nov/09/set-fire-to-stars-review-dylan-thomas

Robert Padam
1102262.  Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:38 am Reply with quote

That is kind of you to point it out. I had heard about the film - though I'm not holding out much hope after the 'Poet in New York' on BBC and don't get me started about 'Edge of Love'.
Still I would like to see it. It is 'U' rated surprisingly - none of Dylan's limericks then - but I can't find it has a showing anywhere near Bristol. Perhaps it's already destined for DVD.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2