View previous topic | View next topic

wake up calls.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

sally carr
1094105.  Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:43 am Reply with quote

How is it possible to think of the time that you want to wake and it happens?
Last night I set my mental clock to 9:45 and woke at that time to the minute. It isn't the first time it has happened, just the first time I've thought to ask the question.

'yorz
1094114.  Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:00 am Reply with quote

The days my friend comes up to visit me, his alarm is set to 04:30. Which is when I wake up without fail; I look at the clock, think , "Ha - only 6 more hours", and then go back to sleep. Makes no sense whatsoever.
As for waking up when I should without using the alarm, that has happened many, many times; but still not enough to totally rely on it for Very Important Occasions.

Jenny
1094166.  Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote

If I know I have to get up extra early, even if I have an alarm clock I often find it hard to sleep. The last time I knew I had to be out early, I set the alarm and then woke up in the middle of the night to find we'd had a power cut, and ended up stumbling downstairs to fetch my phone out of my bag and set the alarm on that.

Posital
1094238.  Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:43 am Reply with quote

Haha - proof we can do stuff in our sleep: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29166466

I tend to wake up on cue - unless I'm knackered...

when an alarm helps massively...

RLDavies
1099311.  Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:13 am Reply with quote

It works for me. It seems to be a learned skill, or at least a skill that improves with practice.

When I was a teen, I spelled it out to myself with extreme clarity. I would watch the second hand moving on my bedside clock, and say to myself: "That was 15 seconds [or whatever]. 60 seconds make a minute. 60 minutes make an hour. I want to wake up at such-and-such time, which is so many hours from now." I'd repeat that a few times to impress it on my mind, and it worked beautifully.

Nowadays I just pay close attention to the time on the clock and then tell myself firmly that I want to wake up at such-and-such time. It still works. I only bother to set a real alarm for backup in the most vital circumstances, e.g. if sleeping late would mean missing a flight or something.

Having an alarm set disrupts my sleep terribly -- I wake up two hours beforehand, then an hour beforehand, then every 20 minutes, every 10 minutes, every 5 minutes, until eventually I give up trying and just get out of bed.

CharliesDragon
1099313.  Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:28 am Reply with quote

I am impossible to get up, especially if I have an alarm set. I'll just stubbornly ignore it or turn it off and go back to sleep. Part of that is being a night owl and not liking mornings, part is due to often not liking what I'm getting up for.

djgordy
1099342.  Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:25 pm Reply with quote

Posital wrote:
I tend to wake up on cue

Wouldn't a bed be more comfortable?

tetsabb
1099369.  Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote

When I have to be up for 0400 for work, I follow this routine;
set electronic radio alarm to 0400
set free-standing, battery-operated, traditional alarm clock to 0420
set watch to 0408.
Settle down in bed, knock head against pillow 4 times.

The other day I had to be up for 0710, so a similar routine was followed, just with the times changed, and the number of headknocks on the pillow increased to 7.

If there is a power cut and I lose the radio jobby, the ringing of the 'trad' clock should do the trick.

Clearly the knocking of the head on the pillow is the most important part of proceedings.
What can be infuriating is when my bladder wakes me at 0330, so I get up and go to loo and then lie awake worrying that I will go back to sleep and miss the alarms.

AlmondFacialBar
1099409.  Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:29 am Reply with quote

CharliesDragon wrote:
I am impossible to get up, especially if I have an alarm set. I'll just stubbornly ignore it or turn it off and go back to sleep. Part of that is being a night owl and not liking mornings, part is due to often not liking what I'm getting up for.

I'm a night owl and hate mornings, but I wake up on cue anyway. Just a knack I guess.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

bemahan
1099411.  Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:32 am Reply with quote

Me too. My alarm is set for 6.30am on weekdays and I tend to wake at 6.27am. A nuisance at weekends and when the clocks go back - I was awake at 5.27am this morning.

CharliesDragon
1099416.  Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:51 am Reply with quote

I've experienced getting a hang at times myself when I had a part-time job with twenty minutes intervals. After a while I got very good at telling how long twenty minutes is, even outside the job. I guess it is a bit of the same mechanic operating. It also has to do with habits. I'm very out of the habit of having to get up, but even when I should have been in it it was not fun. My body just isn't designed to wake up that early. (Despite that I sometimes wake up early, like today.)

AlmondFacialBar
1099418.  Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:55 am Reply with quote

Neither is mine, believe me. I've been told by several people that I'm unrecognisable before I've had my coffee, and I definitely don't function fully before eleven. Still I unfailingly wake up ten minutes before I'm supposed to. No idea how that works tbh.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Zziggy
1099420.  Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:06 am Reply with quote

I am the same - when left to my own devices my circadian rhythm slips until I am sleeping about 4am-1pm, but when I know I have to be up tomorrow at 7.30, I will wake up naturally at 7.27. That is not to say I won't fall asleep again at some later, public, point!

tetsabb
1099521.  Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
I'm unrecognisable before I've had my coffee

I am not so much 'unrecognisable' as pretty-well unable to speak or cogitate before coffee (and of course nicotine) has been consumed

'yorz
1099531.  Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote

If ever you need a witness statement....

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next