View previous topic | View next topic

Levity

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Celebaelin
1099096.  Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:52 pm Reply with quote

I had to listen to it twice to make sure but yes, I was surprised to hear a reference to 'Kenilworth lighthouse' on QI today (well, yesterday's program technically but on iPlayer) partly because it's not actually a lighthouse but a former windmill and subsequently water tower converted into a residence but mainly because Stephen seemed to be of the opinion that it

Quote:
... might be known by quite a section of the population.

Having recently (in the last fortnight or so) talked to a Kenilworth resident who was entirely unaware of its existence I'm not so sure that this is the case.

Incidentally I heard that they actually had to use lighthouse paint on the structure as all normal paint seemed unable to provide any coverage - I can't vouch for this fact in its entirety but I do remember a period of years when the thing was either being painted, had recently been painted or was beginning to look shabby again. That Wiki mentions the nickname 'Kenilworth lighthouse' is oddly satisfying bearing in mind that Kenilworth is of the order of 100km from the sea (possibly a little less depending on how far up the Bristol channel you think the sea extends; arguably the nearest sea might be on the Wash which is 110km or so away). I wonder if any of this useless information might have made the XL edit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Water_Tower,_Kenilworth

CharliesDragon
1099159.  Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:10 am Reply with quote

I liked the liquid nitrogene stuff, but I sort of feel bad for Fry for his rose segment coming off as a bit clumsy, because he sounded so in awe when telling the story of his teacher doing the same, in an earlier episode. Maybe he was just very excited to do it, and I don't blame him. Or I'm too harsh in thinking it looked clumsy.

Ian Dunn
1099216.  Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:14 pm Reply with quote

With regards to photo of the lightning striking Grant's Tomb - I thought that in the photo it was striking Washington Monument?

brunel
1099267.  Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:18 am Reply with quote

Having watched the extended version, I do have a quibble about the section on the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building.

As far as I am aware, the spire on the Empire State Building is not there to make it taller than the Chrysler Building (even without the spire, the top floor of the Empire State Building, at 380m height, is substantially higher (60m higher) than the top of the spire on the Chrysler Building).

It is actually the other way around - it was the Chrysler Building that secretly had the spire integrated into its design in order to claim the title of being the tallest building in the world. That was done to snatch the title from the headquarters of the Bank of Manhattan, which had topped out a few months earlier and was fractionally higher before the Chrysler Building added its spire.

Troux
1099273.  Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:52 am Reply with quote

I recall learning that the Toronto CN Tower used a lot more spire/antenna than needed in order to steal the tallest title when it was built, though I hadn't heard the same about the NY buildings.

The recently finished One World Trade Center (aka Freedom Tower) fine-tuned its extensions to reach a height of 1,776 feet to commemorate the year when we decided that we wanted to be an independent country that needs Asian oil and labor to survive.

djgordy
1099283.  Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:44 am Reply with quote

That's a bit harsh, seeing as it needed genocide and slavery to exist in the first place. Anyway, Asian countries are only two out of the top five importers to the USA.

Quote:
The top five sources of U.S. crude oil imports for July (2014) were Canada (2,802 thousand barrels per day), Saudi Arabia (1,231 thousand barrels per day), Venezuela (852 thousand barrels per day), Mexico (714 thousand barrels per day), and Iraq (496 thousand barrels per day).

www.eia.gov/petroleum/imports/companylevel/

Also, the USA is nearing self sufficency due to all that shaley stuff, which is why the price of oil and petrol are so low at a time when, from the point of view of the instability in the middle East caused by ISIS, one would expect it to be sky high.

djgordy
1099357.  Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
It's quite satisfying to see a Qi show and suddenly realise that a fact being discussed is something originally mentioned by yourself (post 1033727).

It's a reminder to not give up trying to find new things to write about :)

I got two in this episode.

Leviticus

www.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=1058571&highlight=leviticus#1058571

and lighthouses

www.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=28981&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=lighthouses&start=0

so ner ner!

I was pleased that the Small's Lighthouse events were mentioned as it is really a fascinating story although perhaps not one to be treated with such........ erm.... levity.

This is the first one I have remembered to watch the XL version. I thought the 30 minute edition was rather flat but the extended one really came to life.

CharliesDragon
1099362.  Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:14 pm Reply with quote

The Small's Lighthouse story is rather gruesome, but very fascinating, yes.

I can't even say I've recognised things that's been discussed on this forum so far in the series... Except the liger. Anyway I take off my wig to those who find their contributions broadcasted.

'yorz
1099364.  Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
I got two in this episode.

[...]

so ner ner!

Back in Kindergarten, I see.

Alfred E Neuman
1099395.  Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:50 am Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
Back in Kindergarten, I see.

Back? When did we ever leave?

djgordy
1099469.  Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote

I was milk monitor last term.

This term I'm milf monitor which is far more fun.

CB27
1099483.  Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:21 pm Reply with quote

Next term gilf monitor?

RLDavies
1099788.  Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:59 am Reply with quote

CharliesDragon wrote:
I liked the liquid nitrogene stuff, but I sort of feel bad for Fry for his rose segment coming off as a bit clumsy, because he sounded so in awe when telling the story of his teacher doing the same, in an earlier episode. Maybe he was just very excited to do it, and I don't blame him. Or I'm too harsh in thinking it looked clumsy.

I thought it was poorly pulled off as well, and Fry did seem to rush the whole thing, either from excitement or under pressure to hurry the show along.

It would have looked a lot more impressive if he'd slowly crushed the rose in his hand instead of smashing it on the table. One of my OU courses included an excellent demonstration of the same thing. The presenter showed the rose and moved the petals a bit to demonstrate it was a real, normal flower. He dipped it in the liquid nitrogen, then brought it out and took the time to show it looked exactly the same as before. And only then crushed it up in his hand like glass.

djgordy
1099798.  Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote

RLDavies wrote:

I thought it was poorly pulled off as well, and Fry did seem to rush the whole thing, either from excitement or under pressure to hurry the show along.

Generally, Mr. Fry seems only to eager to pull something off when excited and it often goes off quicker when under pressure........

CharliesDragon
1099805.  Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote

*Puts the innuendo to the side for the time being*
Yeah, several of his demonstrations through the years have been a bit rushed, but he's looked so much like an eager puppy I haven't minded (much). This time there seemed to be a bit too much going on at once.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next