View previous topic | View next topic

Mars and Martians

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Big Martin
1099906.  Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:31 am Reply with quote

There was a Horizon programme covering the the exploration of Mars and the search for life there by various probes. I think it was on BBC4 again last night.
During an interview with an American lady scientist during the programme she defends the lack of success in finding evidence of life by saying "it's like going into your backyard and expecting to find fossils". If this is the case, they OUGHT to have found something as you CAN go into my back garden and dig up more fossils than you could ever want.

 
Janet H
1099910.  Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:51 am Reply with quote

Not here, clay all the way down!

 
Big Martin
1099920.  Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:24 am Reply with quote

The street (and possibly a lot of the village) is on an old sea bed. Dig down a foot or so and you get to repeating thin layers of rock (stuffed full of fossilised shells) and clay (stuffed full of colourful shell fragments that fade rapidly once in the air). The rock layers are a fairly constant 1-2 inches thick, which makes it great for building low walls around raised garden beds or, if you can get a really big piece, as a stepping stone.

 
crissdee
1099948.  Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote

germananglophile wrote:

crissdee wrote:
As for the "Project Mogul" balloon crap for Roswell, that seems only marginally less unlikely than a crashed UFO.


I'd be curious to read more on your theory dismissal.


And I in turn would love to be able to explain chapter and verse of why I hold that viewpoint. However, this would involve putting my life on hold for a week or so while I reviewed the dozens of books I have read on the subject (which would in turn have to be sifted from the hundreds ofUFO/pparanormal books on my shelves) just so I could crystallize the general impression I have formed from 30+ years of reading about it. Major Marcel made it quite clear that the balloon wreckage he was photographed with was categorically not the debris he collected from the Brazel farm, and other reports suggest wholly un-balloon-like matter. I'm afraid that anymore than that would require a great deal of time which I haven't got at the moment.

 
ConorOberstIsGo
1100025.  Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:03 am Reply with quote

Sorry crissdee, I am going to establish a form for which I will become well-known; just because you read a lot is not a good indication of whether you are right about the subject in question (no, not even when you read about the subject). What people believe is most easily predicted from their politics which is most easily predicted by their personality. When you say "chapter and verse" you may well be able to write a compelling book on the topic. Who would buy that book? People who wanted their sentiments confirmed; not people who wanted to know the truth. I know, I get it. I am saying something that would piss off anyone who was touched by it, but I'm saying it anyway. I understand what expertise is and hope that I respect it when appropriate, but give me evidence in a vacuum and I will probably have more chance of finding the truth.

Sorry, I've just had a whole bottle of Argentinian Malbec (but am unrepentant).

 
CharliesDragon
1100026.  Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:12 am Reply with quote

Criss merely said he holds that viewpoint, not that he is right. Him believing a spacecraft landed in Roswell is hardly harming anyone (I'd be more worried about his intererst in Jack the Ripper, in that case), so just... live and let live. Of course you are as fully free to not share his opion on the subject.

I also generally think most users here are sceptical enough to check out both sides of a claim not widely accepted, or widely doubted, like the existence of spacecrafts from other planets.

Then again, since Criss only used the world "UFO." he could possibly mean that whatever landed in Roswell is not possible to identify, and explanations like weather baloons don't hold up to scrutiny, but not saying it is made by little, green men, either.

 
crissdee
1100088.  Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote

Wot she said!

I would never claim to have the final word on anything, not even Jack th Ripper about whom I have read a LOT, and written a bit. I just gave my (current) opinion on the matter. I particularly doubt the balloon theory and am less than convinced about the flying saucer, but I have yet to hear anything convincing enough to make me doubt the underlying truth of Jesse Marcel's statement that something unknown landed/crashed at Roswell.

 
ConorOberstIsGo
1100146.  Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:00 am Reply with quote

Ugh, I'm sorry. I have had a terrible week. You absolutely have the right to put out any idea, any feeling, any concrete fact you like - and I'm sorry for being so strong on it. I consider you, above all, an interesting person (which might sound like nothing but I hope is a high honour on such a forum).

 
'yorz
1100147.  Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:19 am Reply with quote

*here's a wetwipe - you got a brown spot on your nose* :-)

 
ConorOberstIsGo
1100159.  Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:41 am Reply with quote

Actually now you put that image in my mind, my week could've been a lot worse....

 
tetsabb
1100192.  Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:26 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
*here's a wetwipe - you got a brown spot on your nose* :-)


That made me chuckle!

 
djgordy
1102050.  Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:34 pm Reply with quote

germananglophile wrote:

Mars and Martians are and were popular elements for Science Fiction stories.
(Edgar Rice Burroughs' "A Princess of Mars" was adapted as a movie almost 100 years after its release as the 2012 movie John Carter)



There was a previous film called "Princess of Mars" made in 2009 by The Asylum. This, as I have mentioned before, is a studio that makes low budget films that often resemble those of big studios but ensure that they are not close enough to infringe copyright, usually by using material that is already in the pulic domain.

The film starred Traci Lords who was woefully miscast as Dejah Thoris, Mind you, any casting of Traci Lords is woefully mis-.

Anywho, "A Princess of Mars" was Burroughs' first pulished work, originally serialised as "Under the Moons of Mars". The series set the tone for much of Burroughs' work; an white male is finds himself in an alien environment and becomes the top dog. See also Tarzan, Carson Napier etc. It is really just low-level Edwardian racism; the European was seen as the pinnacle of creation who naturally ruled over all other lesser beings, whether from another planet or another continent.

Superman is much the same idea of John Carter, of course, except that in this case it is an alien coming to Earth rather than an Earthling going to another planet. See also "Avatar", although the resemblance between Burroughs' and Cameron's work isn't as great as some people claim.

The other thing interesting about Burroughs' Martian series is that is based on a vision of Mars promoted by Percival Lowell; namely that Mars is , or had been, inhabited and it was criss-crossed by canals. The first person to suggest the existence of canals was an Italian astronomer called Giovanni Schiaparelli.

Quote:
The persistence of belief in Martian canals is often attributed to a linguistic fluke, that the Italian canali, meaning “channel” (or watercourse, and not necessarily of unnatural origin), was mistranslated to the English “canal.” I really love this narrative of language shaping reality, but unfortunately it’s the astronomical equivalent of an urban legend. “Canal,” in fact, was used in the earliest English accounts, and Schiaparelli made no move to correct the misunderstanding, if he was aware of it.


www.scienceblogs.com/universe/2012/09/28/the-canals-of-mars/

 
Ian Dunn
1106037.  Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote

The Curiosity Rover has spikes of methane coming out of Mars. No-one knows for certain what is causing this, but it is possible that it might be caused by micro-organisms. On Earth, 95% of methane comes from micro-organisms, so if what has been found is true then it could be the biggest evidence yet for life on Mars.

Source: The Independent

 
crissdee
1106043.  Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote

Janet H wrote:
Not here, clay all the way down!


It's turtles all the way down over here!

 
germananglophile
1151382.  Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:09 am Reply with quote

This just gave me goose bumps:

http://gizmodo.com/nasa-says-theres-strong-evidence-of-liquid-water-on-mar-1733357660

 

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group