View previous topic | View next topic

Monkeys

Page 1 of 1

Troux
1098758.  Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote

...and mandrills, mandarins, macaques and marmosets if you need.

I was surprised we didn't have a topic for this one yet.

There's a never-ending supply of QI new information on the intelligence and curiosity of our primate cousins. Some macaques in Thailand have learned to steal the hairs of humans (usually unsuspecting tourists) to use as dental floss.

In this short video, a bonobo has a very human snack by very human techniques.

Thai culture is very closely tied to the above mentioned macaques, and the last Sunday in November is dedicated to them, with an enormous buffet created entirely for their consumption. It begins with cautious snacking, and inevitably devolves into a food fight.

Zziggy
1098890.  Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:33 am Reply with quote

I did do an Essay Submission about Monkeys. I thought there were a few QIs in there!

Troux
1099006.  Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:36 am Reply with quote

Zziggy wrote:
I did do an Essay Submission about Monkeys. I thought there were a few QIs in there!

Regarding the bit about capuchins, I will also add that they have been shown to express complex feelings of guilt in the wild. On a documentary, they showed a group of monkeys fishing in a river, with one monkey perched in the treetops to alert the others if an alligator was coming. The eyes in the sky decided to take a self-appointed lunch break and sneak down to afford the tempting snack he'd observed the others eating, and that's when an alligator had the opportunity to eat one of the fishermen. The watchman knew that the death had been on his watch, and due to his negligence and greed, and he spent a couple of days in self-isolation due to his shame before deciding to join and mingle with the rest of the troop.

I feel like I've mentioned this before, but capuchins get their name from the white face surrounded by brown markings on their head resembling the distinctive hood of the habits worn by the Order of Friars Minor Capucin, which derives its name from the Italian word for this sort of hood or hat, called a cappuccino, which would later grant its name to a certain coffee and milk drink, which - when served properly - has the same white center and brown surroundings as the faces of these monkeys.

Peaseblossom
1099450.  Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote

Ooh, Troux, I like your Cappuccino / Capuchin monkey / Capuchin monk connection. Awkward conversations over coffee can always be improved by such facts, don't you think? And I'll add another piece: a chaperone also comes from the same hood. Suddenly I'm imagining a date chaperoned by a monk in a coffee shop with monkeys running around knocking over the cappuccinos...

Oh, and also:

The mystery monkey of Mons.
(This just seemed to beg for a mention in "M").

In the Belgian city of Mons, there is a small iron monkey statue in the outside wall of the city hall. Nobody is quite sure how many centuries it has been there, or where it came from, or why, but tradition says you should rub its head for luck.
More info here: http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-guardhouse-monkey

Zziggy
1099451.  Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:29 am Reply with quote

Troux wrote:
I feel like I've mentioned this before, but capuchins get their name from the white face surrounded by brown markings on their head resembling the distinctive hood of the habits worn by the Order of Friars Minor Capucin, which derives its name from the Italian word for this sort of hood or hat, called a cappuccino, which would later grant its name to a certain coffee and milk drink, which - when served properly - has the same white center and brown surroundings as the faces of these monkeys.

I scored 5 points for my team on UC by knowing this fact [/shameless bragging]

SisterClare
1165574.  Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:04 am Reply with quote

Good point Troux. In Series M, 6, Stephen Fry alleged that Capuchin monkeys took their name from Capuchin monks who had a cream colored hood (capuche) and a brown habit.
That is incorrect. Capuchin friars (they are not monks - monks are enclosed in monasteries) have completely brown habits, including their hoods. The monkeys took their name from a marking on their backs, which resembles the long, pointed hood of the Capuchin friars. This information can be checked at:
http://www.capuchinfranciscans.org/sub_faq.html#faq6

Jenny
1165604.  Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:34 pm Reply with quote

Nice factoid - welcome SisterClare!

ShaunCheng
1170124.  Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:42 pm Reply with quote

Just watched the menagerie episode and saw the information about shaving the lead monkey to disband the pack.

My father is malaysian and told me a story how some farmers who had a problem with monkeys stealing all of their crops.

The tried using scarecrows and fences but to no avail. They then tried killing the monkeys and putting their corpses on display, but still without results.

Then they captured a monkey, shaved most of its hair off and fattened it up. They then painted the monkey and attached clothes quite tightly and then let the monkey go.

This monkey then tried to rejoin it's group. The rest of the group obviously didn't recognise their kin, and ran away from him. Thus he chased and soon they had fled far away from the farm.

So that was my answer to Stephen's question, when he asked why would you shave a monkey.

On a side note, they also had a termite problem with large nests on their farm. To solve this, they would take a shellfish (clams, mussels, etc) and leave it in the sun to let it putrify. Once it was in poisonous state, the would load it into a catapult and fire it as far into the termite nest as possible. Because the termites are quite fastidious about their nest (like most insects) and when they realise they can't remove the foreign, putrid object, they leave the nest.

Stories that kept my childhood interesting

Jenny
1170207.  Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:13 pm Reply with quote

Thanks Shaun - that was very interesting :-)

Prof Wind Up Merchant
1176830.  Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:21 pm Reply with quote

Shame the famous monkey does not have a copyright to the selfie. Great picture.

greenday
1275862.  Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:15 am Reply with quote

Have you heard about monkeys festival in Thailand?

Page 1 of 1