View previous topic | View next topic

Literature

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Troux
1098438.  Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:31 am Reply with quote

plinkplonk wrote:
I'm wondering if "the plumbing" is a euphemism or not, after all it consists entirely of plumbing. You may argue that it doesn't tell the whole story, but if it did wouldn't that be a cacophonism or dysphonism, wouldn't it?

Well it seems like Fry was saying that there's no word for the toilet which has no etymology prior to its invention, which is a bit unfair, really. Of course we know that plumbing comes from the Latin for lead, although there may or may not actually be any lead present in a modern system. However if we play Fry's game, I would say our most direct and unambiguous word would be 'the John,' since it's named for the inventor of the flush toilet, John Harrington, and any would only be homonymous with any other meanings of 'a john'.

On another note, I found it odd that this episode didn't wait a series to touch on malapropisms and mondegreens, and also didn't bother to mention the QI fact that there are even such words for these phenomena. Anyways, just happy to see Mr. Whitehall present, I like him!

sosuperp
1098444.  Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote

Troux wrote:
happy to see Mr. Whitehall present, I like him!

So do most of us, dahling. Most of us.

Spud McLaren
1098455.  Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote

Am I in the minority yet again, then? This is becoming a habit...

sosuperp
1098459.  Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:

I do not know. I'm new here.

In other news...Stephen used the phrase "I'm getting to old for this shit," even after saying it annoys him on the Film episode of series F. Hmm, hum, hoom.

CharliesDragon
1098466.  Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote

I think he's entitled to feel too old/above/done with certain shenenigans of the panelists. I as a viewer like more of the shenenigans, but his disapproval usual gives a nice contrast. Sort of like how Baldrick's stupidity gets on Blackadder's nerves or somesuch.

sosuperp
1098483.  Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:28 pm Reply with quote

AFAIK he wasn't disapproving of panel mischief here. Instead, he was acting something out and playing along. But given my memory problems, again, I do not know. :P

djgordy
1098491.  Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:40 am Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:

I don't like Mr. Whitehall either. Lucky for him that his dad is a former theatrical agent and TV producer.

CharliesDragon
1098496.  Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:59 am Reply with quote

Can we have more Lloyd Langford, though?

dr.bob
1098497.  Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:59 am Reply with quote

sosuperp wrote:
AFAIK he wasn't disapproving of panel mischief here. Instead, he was acting something out and playing along. But given my memory problems, again, I do not know. :P

He was telling a story about speaking German to his grandfather, IIRC. The "I'm too old for this shit" was him quoting his grandfather.

sosuperp
1098565.  Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
He was telling a story about speaking German to his grandfather

There you go.

Zziggy
1098592.  Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote

Another non-fan of Jack Whitehall here. Why must he always make jokes about the Sugababes. They are really not QI.

djgordy
1098668.  Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:00 am Reply with quote

Well, they are in that their final lineup contained none of the members of the first lineup. They are not unique in this but it is still quite interesting.

swot
1098680.  Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:38 am Reply with quote

I like him as well. I also enjoyed the Vanderful Willage story.

sosuperp
1098720.  Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:25 am Reply with quote

swot: QI ain't it? It's really confusing.

Humming Bird
1108633.  Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:49 am Reply with quote

CharliesDragon wrote:
Yeah, but a urinal isn't a complete toilet. You can't go number two in it (without causing major inconvencience) and women can't use it at all without a funnel or similar help.

Actually you can do a number 2 in the urinal even though its not recomended by design or manufacture. This has been known to occur to some when blind drunk. Also women can use the urinal a quick visit to a back street Thai night club; and you'll see actual women (not lady boys) squat over the urinal and causually chat to you and others whilst peeing. Though I see your point (about inconvenience) its just not completely unachievable for general poo and lady pee to be deposited in a urinal.

This is my first post hmmm not really the grand intelectual entance I had envisaged

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next