View previous topic | View next topic

Literature

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Ian Dunn
1098297.  Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:22 am Reply with quote

Couldn't help but feel that when talking about 1984 they missed what have been a nice QI joke when talking about three slogans of The Party:

War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
General Ignorance is Strength

CharliesDragon
1098321.  Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:36 am Reply with quote

I couldn't help to reflect over what a truly bizarre premise for a show QI really is, where you're told there's no word for toilet that isn't a euphemism and so on.

Also, since it is QI, can we have QI and not Only Connect? I watch QI because I like QI, if I wanted to watch Only Connect presumably I would be watching that, but I'm not, I'm watching QI, so why do I get Only Connect? Not that I'm hating on Only Connect or minded the segment on QI, it's just... I thought I was watching QI, okay?

djgordy
1098348.  Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote

I don't think that every word for a toiler is a euphemism. A euphemism is innocuous word or expression used in place of one that may be found offensive or suggest something unpleasant.

So, what about bog, urinal, pisser, crapper, shitter and shit house?

I can only assume that people were deliberately not getting the ghost writer question on the first clue as I thought it was obvious. It was a shame Virginia Andrews didn't feature though.

Andrews died in 1986 and since then a ghost writer called Andrew Neiderman has written more than 40 books that carry her name.

Last edited by djgordy on Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

plinkplonk
1098353.  Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:20 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
I don't think that every word for a toiler is a euphemism. A euphemism is innocuous word or expression used in place of one that may be found offensive or suggest something unpleasant.

So, what about bog, urinal, pisser, crapper, shitter and shit house?

Yes, they're cacophemisms, not euphemisms.

suze
1098374.  Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote

Also known as dysphemisms.

I'd argue that urinal is neither, though. It's not a euphemism in the same way as terms like water closet or lavatory, and neither is it deliberately vulgar. Quite simply, a urinal is a vessel which receives urine.

And of course we all know that Thomas Crapper was a real man who really did make flushing lavatories. He didn't invent them - anyone who thought that he did received a klaxon way back in C Series - but he did invent the ballcock, and he did make and sell flushing lavatories complete with ballcocks in Victorian London.

The surname Crapper has nothing at all to do with feces. It probably comes from the Middle English verb cropen = to pick fruit, and shares an etymology with the surname Cropper.

CharliesDragon
1098378.  Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, but a urinal isn't a complete toilet. You can't go number two in it (without causing major inconvencience) and women can't use it at all without a funnel or similar help.

djgordy
1098379.  Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:

The surname Crapper has nothing at all to do with feces. It probably comes from the Middle English verb cropen = to pick fruit, and shares an etymology with the surname Cropper.

Yes, but I would suggest that the word "crapper" is used for a toilet became it suggests the function.

suze
1098382.  Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:08 pm Reply with quote

I'm not sure. Feces was called crap well before Thomas Crapper came on the scene, but I'm not sure that anyone called the facility the crapper before him.

Some of Thomas Crapper's porcelain sanitary ware, complete with maker's nameplate, is still in use. Apparently there's one in Westminster Abbey, although not in a part of the building where visitors can see it.

So I suggest that people got to referring to lavatories as Crappers for much the same sort of reason that we refer to vacuum cleaners as Hoovers.

Spud McLaren
1098383.  Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:47 pm Reply with quote

My Communications lecturer mentioned the "every word for toilet (including toilet) is a euphemism" thing back in 1977, and none-too-seriously proposed the term "defacatory". I have used this term ever since.

nitwit02
1098399.  Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:04 pm Reply with quote

I am going to pinch that word and use it Spud. Ta.

plinkplonk
1098403.  Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:51 am Reply with quote

I'm wondering if "the plumbing" is a euphemism or not, after all it consists entirely of plumbing. You may argue that it doesn't tell the whole story, but if it did wouldn't that be a cacophonism or dysphonism, wouldn't it?

djgordy
1098405.  Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:06 am Reply with quote

Except that people have plumbing in places other than the toilet they don't refer to the kitchen sink as "the pumbing".

plinkplonk
1098413.  Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:39 am Reply with quote

I'm not sure if even plumbers regard the kitchen sink as "the plumbing"; maybe the U-bend underneath.

Certainly "the plumbing" is a confusible, that's for sure, but it doesn't give the item an air, like "the throne" or "the office" does it? And no one really knows what to call the thing anyway...

tetsabb
1098420.  Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:43 am Reply with quote

CD wrote
Quote:
You can't go number two in it (without causing major inconvencience)

When I worked in my local Odeon cinema in T Wells as a general dogsbidy, someone did indeed do just that in an urinal one Sunday morning.
And it did cause me quite a lot of inconvenience. In the 'convenience'

Jenny
1098434.  Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quote

<monocle drops from eye> Surely not in Tunbridge Wells!

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next