View previous topic | View next topic

Location, location, location.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

djgordy
1097425.  Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:08 pm Reply with quote

Mista Fry he sai "Stonehenge, what could be stonier or hengier". but Mista Fry already sai Stonhenge not a henge*.

Why Mista Fry no pay attention to what he sai?

Also, what's with all this asking people stuff they actually know the answer to? Seems a bit bizarre to me.

Quote:
There's a specific meaning, an embanked area outside with ditches on the inside, right? And Stonehenge is the other way round, so it's not a henge.
Even though the name henge comes from Stonehenge.
A henge is a word for something that's like Stonehenge, but not including Stonehenge? Basically, yes.

www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=qi-2003&episode=s08e16

'yorz
1097428.  Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote

What's with the accent?

djgordy
1097516.  Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote

My 1/16th Telmarine ancestry keeps trying to surface.

plinkplonk
1097557.  Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:50 am Reply with quote

Our Stig turned up as a mysterious monk-like portaloo.

CharliesDragon
1097720.  Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:45 pm Reply with quote

Did Stephen just call Alan "darling" when the latter hit himself on the head with the penny card? Methinks they've been spending too many years together on the show... :P

Poor Johnny with the not-wasabi, though...

clack
1097760.  Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:55 am Reply with quote

My heart sank a bit when I saw the panel line-up. Once again, 3 comics, none of them notably learned. Thought that Stephen would have to all the lifting. Jason's range of knowledge surprised me, though, and saved the show.

Johnny has really grown into a fine QI panelist. His comic riffs veer off into unpredictable directions, and he no longer employs them so as to dominate the proceedings. He's found a nice balance.

Aisley Bea? I've seen her be funny on other panel shows, not so much here. She was at least a lively presence.

AlmondFacialBar
1097761.  Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:00 am Reply with quote

Her first name is Aisling, just saying... I must say I enjoyed her, it's always good to have a new Irish voice. Tara Flynn would also be great.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Troux
1097765.  Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:10 am Reply with quote

clack wrote:
Jason's range of knowledge surprised me, though, and saved the show.

I couldn't help but think he was the only one that read the script.

I thought Aisling was a well-balanced character. Next week looks like all-comedy again, where are the authors??

Big Martin
1097769.  Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:24 am Reply with quote

In another rare agreement with djgordy, I did find myself thinking "no" when Mr Fry commented "what could be hengier".

All in all very good, though I did think poor Johnny Vegas was out to kill after the "not-wasabi" incident.

suze
1097785.  Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:57 am Reply with quote

On the matter of the not-wasabi, why isn't this against the law?

Plucking a random example out of the air, if I were to sell you horse meat alleging that it was beef, I could expect to find myself in court. As I understood it, it is an offence to sell stuff which is not as described. Why doesn't the same apply to those who sell coloured horseradish and say that it's wasabi?

djgordy
1097820.  Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Her first name is Aisling, just saying... I must say I enjoyed her, it's always good to have a new Irish voice.

They ought to have that nice Mrs. Brown from the telly on...........

Yes, I know Brendan O'Carroll was on but not quite the same thing.

AlmondFacialBar
1097824.  Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote

They did, technically, and I dare say it surprised a fair few viewers how articulate Brendan O'Carroll is when he's not being Agnes. Btw, what's she ever done to you? If you don't enjoy her change the channel. Easy peasy.

AlmondFacialBar

extremophilesheep
1097826.  Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote

I was pleasantly surprised by Aisling Bea - very lively, witty and expressive.
Am always happy to see Jason Manford on, have a bit of a soft spot for him (but since just a bit no one needs to worry about that).

Johnny Vegas used to irritate me a bit when on earlier QI episodes but he's much better these days and he actually made me laugh.

I'm now curious as to wasabi sold in this country is actually just horseradish too....it probably is.

AlmondFacialBar
1097827.  Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote

FWIW, these are the ingredients of the tube in my fridge:

Sweetener: E420,Water ,Horseradish (21.7%) ,Soybean Oil ,Salt ,Wasabi Japonice (5%) ,Mustard ,Sweetener: Maltodextrin ,Modified Starch ,Mustard Oil ,Acidity Regulator: E330 ,Thickener: E415 ,Colours: E133, Turmeric

Bit of both, so. Bought in Tesco, so I'm guessing widely available.

AlmondFacialBar

franticllama
1097849.  Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote

The wasabi being horseradish thing fits with what I have heard from the chefs at the restaurant. Chef is very proud of the fact that we use proper English wasabi, so wasabi grown in this country but is not just horseradish coloured green as he is aware that there are places that do that. My book* agrees with this assessment.

Larousse Gastronomique - the culinary bible as it were

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next