View previous topic | View next topic

L-Animals

Page 1 of 1

clack
1097057.  Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:33 am Reply with quote

Do people on this list still watch the actual episodes?

Colin Lane : a poor man's Alan. Gurning faces and "funny" voices.

Sarah : can be an OK guest when she's on with a panel with more knowledgeable guests. Not the case here.

Ross : Good at topic riffing, the most important QI skill. Another fine appearance here.

Alan : a lively performance.

Topics : nice selection. The Alan tank was fun, if unspectacular.

Troux
1097059.  Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:18 am Reply with quote

I watch very few shows, so those select few are anxiously stalked leading up to the new episodes. I assume most of the board is on top of the program, as well.

I like Sarah, I think she's pretty clever, and her accent charms me wonderfully. Ross is especially good about topic-riffing, but didn't seem particularly funny on this go.

As for the "vampire deer" in the XL version, I believe it's called a water deer, and although it looks similar, it's noticeably separated from the musk deer, endemic to eastern Asia, which looks very kangaroo in the face if not for the enormous fangs, which apparently serve only the purpose of the antlers they are in lieu of, which attract mates. The musk deer is unfortunately often hunted for its spray sac, which can fetch up to $50,000 for its use in perfumes.

swot
1097119.  Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:27 am Reply with quote

I'm guessing the group tossing off a lonely whale didn't make it into the half-hour version :-D

I enjoyed the episode, though I do agree that Mr Lane is superfluous most of the time. I thought Mr Bell did well in his little segment.

AlmondFacialBar
1097129.  Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:29 am Reply with quote

The whale thing actually is in the half hour version. But it worked better in the XL. Poor little whaley!

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

RLDavies
1097150.  Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:11 am Reply with quote

Interesting topic, pretty decent questions, but the episode as a whole was let down by Fry losing control of the proceedings.

Far too much time was wasted on the panellists shouting and larking about with each other. Lots of noise, way too much lavatorial content -- but not much humour resulting, and no interesting information (or even interesting anecdotes) getting through.

The problem might have been the balance of panellists: four stand-up comics basically shouting over each other and trying to score gags all night. QI needs the ballast of at least one knowledgable, thoughtful person in the mix.

djgordy
1097156.  Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:12 am Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I was busy that day............

CharliesDragon
1097168.  Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:24 pm Reply with quote

Next time, please be available to make some calls, DJ. The rest of the production team is too busy.

I actually enjoyed this episode. Colin Lane didn't put any lasting impression on me, but he didn't ruin it for me which is good enough. Sometimes there's a new panelist I can't stand, and since I keep rewatching episodes fifty times it's nice when I can stand everyone.

I'm well aware most of the humour, especially the whale wanking, is very low humour and I would like to think I'm above that, but it's pulled off in a way that works. It's not just screaming "Cock!" for the hell of it, it has a context of sorts.

As for memorable moments, I think the butterfly pubes pillow was incredible, in just that how do you think of something like that? It's not quite up there with tossing ewoks in a lake of fart, but I like that Ross Noble can make insane things sound semi-real.

tetsabb
1097178.  Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote

CD wrote
Quote:
but it's pulled off in a way that works

Did you mean to phrase it that way?

Last edited by tetsabb on Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

clack
1097179.  Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:47 pm Reply with quote

RLDavies wrote:
Interesting topic, pretty decent questions, but the episode as a whole was let down by Fry losing control of the proceedings.

Far too much time was wasted on the panellists shouting and larking about with each other. Lots of noise, way too much lavatorial content -- but not much humour resulting, and no interesting information (or even interesting anecdotes) getting through.

The problem might have been the balance of panellists: four stand-up comics basically shouting over each other and trying to score gags all night. QI needs the ballast of at least one knowledgable, thoughtful person in the mix.
Yeah, the panel was a bad mix. Not the fact that they were all comics, but rather that they were all the type of ill-read comic who couldn't recognize a photo of Vladimir Nabokov.

And the L sign for lavatory seems like it's going to be a bad idea. Are we going to have to look at feces each and every episode?

tetsabb
1097180.  Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote

I would not have done so

ConorOberstIsGo
1097185.  Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:16 pm Reply with quote

This is the first time I've watched new QI since having the podcast and I have to say this:

I think we are a bit spoiled by the awesomeness of this forum and of the Elves' podcast. Now the show seems a little dry to us because it's mostly larks and we are upset by the lack of facts. It's also us as the audience (we are perhaps a bit too QI for the actual audience: people in general).

When I look at the L-animals discussion, I feel a bit robbed at what didn't make the half-hour (nor the XL) edit. I know stuff has to be cut and, to make a smooth edit, even the best material is not the aim of an edit. But I sort of feel like I'd prefer a few podcasts to one show now.

Who else feels the same?

CharliesDragon
1097199.  Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
CD wrote
Quote:
but it's pulled off in a way that works

Did you mean to phrase it that way?

Yes.

I'm happy having both the show and the podcasts. :D

CharliesDragon
1100021.  Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:06 am Reply with quote

About the mugger crocodile being the only reptile (that we know of) that uses tools: The term reptile was recently deemed obsolete in biologist terms, since not all things we call reptiles are closely related, and birds and crocodilians are far more closely related than crocodilians and lizards, for example.
If we go with the solution of including birds in the reptile family, which would make sense going off of evolutionary history, then we know of a lot of reptiles using tools, crows among them. Since Fry even mentioned that crows are smart, I think that would be a lovely twist. :P

Article with family tree diagram.

Page 1 of 1