Need help!

Page 419 of 422
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 418, 419, 420, 421, 422  Next

Brock
1389223.  Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:00 pm Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
crissdee wrote:
Jenny wrote:
TV documentaries (anybody remember The World At War?)

Excellent series. If I ever chance upon a box set, I will probably buy it.

Brock wrote:
The Nazis - a Warning from History, shown on the BBC in 1997.

Another good one.

Agreed, but, as was pointed out, both these are from the BBC and a time before the Tories took them over.

No they aren't. As I said above, The World at War was from ITV!

You may not believe it, but there was a time when ITV had a serious public service remit. Don't assume that all classic British television came from the BBC.

AlmondFacialBar
1389224.  Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:01 pm Reply with quote

Fair enough, I wasn't aware of that. Well, I knew ITV was once upon a time a serious broadcaster, but not that they had made The World At War.

Still not "History" Channel, though. ;-)

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Brock
1389226.  Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:10 pm Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Fair enough, I wasn't aware of that. Well, I knew ITV was once upon a time a serious broadcaster, but not that they had made The World At War.

Even though I said it explicitly in post 1389208, and gave a link to the Wikipedia page for the programme?

I'm sorry, I tend to assume that people read what I post here :-)

AlmondFacialBar
1389227.  Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:15 pm Reply with quote

I was aware of both series because they ran in Germany, too, and so I didn't click.

AlmondFacialBar

Jenny
1389229.  Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:34 pm Reply with quote

Woodsman and I are currently watching a Netflix series called The Roman Empire. It's a mix between talking academic heads and action sequences often reminiscent of Game of Thrones. Academic and particularly historically accurate it often isn't, but if you stand back and squint at it a bit it's broadly true in its outlines, and it's entertaining. Not a patch on proper history though.

AlmondFacialBar
1389231.  Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:51 pm Reply with quote

As long as you're aware of that, nothing wrong with enjoying it. What bothers me about the History Channel in particular is that they've made an art form of pandering to people's prejudices and calling it a documentary.

AlmondFacialBar

cornixt
1389238.  Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:19 pm Reply with quote

I didn't even do history at GCSE, but we still managed to cover all of WWI&II, even if it wasn't in great detail. I was not a fan of history lessons, they were so dull, so I dropped it for geography. When digital tv came out, I found that most of the shows I watched were on the History channel. This was back when the worst show was the Naked Archeologist (neither naked nor an archeologist) which was basically someone trying to prove something in the Bible and then claiming that the slightest slither of evidence was all the proof needed. Most of the rest were decent documentaries.

By the late 2000s, the History Channel had renamed itself History and was just terrible reality and conspiracy shows, many of which had no historical content at all (like Swamp People).

AlmondFacialBar
1389240.  Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:59 pm Reply with quote

I can't ever remember their documentaries being of an academically acceptable standard. Probably about 20 years ago I remember happening upon one about early humans in Europe and they were discussing the question if Homo sapiens and Homo neanderthalensis ever interacted (which, in fairness, was a major debate back then). To illustrate one of the theories, they showed a sapiens and a neanderthalensis group hunting. The sapiens were... white and Aryan and erect and generally of high male model standard, clean shaven with short hair and carefully cut animal skin attire, whereas the neanderthals were short, stooped, with long, straggly hair and beards, crudely cut animal skins etc. - the classic caveman trope that has been obsolete since the 1950s. Even discounting that early modern European Homo sapiens wasn't white (I think that wasn't known when that series was made), what even is the point of that? Anything but to make a very specific type of modern Homo sapiens specimens feel cool about themselves? That was when I gave up on that channel...

AlmondFacialBar

Last edited by AlmondFacialBar on Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Efros
1389242.  Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:09 pm Reply with quote

History, Discovery (in all its guises) are shadows of their former selves and are in fact just vehicles for bullshit.

RLDavies
1390906.  Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:40 am Reply with quote

The Richmond sausage people have come out with a line of ready meals (sausage casserole, hotpot, pasta bake, etc.). They look pretty good, and I'm planning to try one or two of the individual-sized ones.

But what I've got here, from the latest Degustabox, is a voucher for a free family-sized one (four servings). That's way too big for me, and I don't want to faff about dividing one into four portions and finding room for them in the freezer.

So, does anybody here fancy a family-sized sausage meal? I'd be delighted to send it on. Voucher is good to the end of this year.

Jenny
1390913.  Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:00 am Reply with quote

You could always cook the four-person size, freeze half of it, eat one portion and reheat the remaining portion next day. Then when you defrost the frozen half, just reheat half of that and reheat the rest the next day.

RLDavies
1390921.  Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:32 am Reply with quote

Honestly, I'd rather just pass on the voucher to a good home.

crissdee
1390942.  Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:14 pm Reply with quote

I could use it down here tbh. I have a good appetite and a poor bank balance, so two birds with one stone really........

RLDavies
1390947.  Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:42 pm Reply with quote

Message me your address (I think I had it before, but if so, it's not here now) and I'll pop it in the post!

crissdee
1390960.  Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:28 am Reply with quote

Thanks! PM will be sent preveniently.

Page 419 of 422
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 418, 419, 420, 421, 422  Next