View previous topic | View next topic

Need help!

Page 419 of 422
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 418, 419, 420, 421, 422  Next

AlmondFacialBar
1389203.  Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:21 am Reply with quote

All that explains so much. It's beginning to sound to me like the average English person gets their knowledge of WW 2 from the History channel and... Well... That coverage might not be altogether neutral or academically sound. Something tells me that this is at least partly to blame for Brexit.

FWIW, this was my curriculum:

7th and 8th grade - whistle stop history of civilisation from Mesopotamia to the European settlement of the Americas
9th and 10th grade - German history from the end of the Holy Roman Empire to 1945
11th grade - postwar (West) Germany from 1945 to 1968
12th grade - Classical European civilisation with special emphasis on the social history of ancient Rome

No idea what would have happened in 13th grade because I had to drop history in favour of Chemistry then to make up for my deplorable Maths grade.

I know that these days the curriculum goes all the way up to the readoption of Berlin as the German capital, but have no idea what they dropped for those extra 25 years.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Brock
1389208.  Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:52 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
All that explains so much. It's beginning to sound to me like the average English person gets their knowledge of WW 2 from the History channel and... Well... That coverage might not be altogether neutral or academically sound.

Why do you say that? British TV has an enviable reputation for well-researched documentary-making. One series I particularly remember was The Nazis - a Warning from History, shown on the BBC in 1997. I thought it was excellent. I never actually watched The World at War - I would have been too young to appreciate it - but it's generally regarded as a landmark in British television history, and is in the list of the 100 Greatest British Television Programmes compiled by the British Film Institute. It was made by Thames TV in the days when ITV still had a serious public service remit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_at_War

I would rather learn history from programmes like these than from some dry classroom lecture.

PDR
1389210.  Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:01 pm Reply with quote

Brock wrote:
AlmondFacialBar wrote:
All that explains so much. It's beginning to sound to me like the average English person gets their knowledge of WW 2 from the History channel and... Well... That coverage might not be altogether neutral or academically sound.

Why do you say that?

You would know if you had ever watched the History Channel

PDR

crissdee
1389212.  Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:23 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
TV documentaries (anybody remember The World At War?)

Excellent series. If I ever chance upon a box set, I will probably buy it.

Brock wrote:
The Nazis - a Warning from History, shown on the BBC in 1997.

Another good one.

suze
1389213.  Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:29 pm Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
It's beginning to sound to me like the average English person gets their knowledge of WW 2 from the History channel and... Well... That coverage might not be altogether neutral or academically sound. Something tells me that this is at least partly to blame for Brexit.

Unless you are the BBC, you can't make TV shows which say "Britain did bad things" because advertisers won't pay for ads in the middle of them.

I recall even you being surprised that I did Live Aid as "History" only months after it had happened, but that's just what my high school was like.

But until as recently as 2018, it was possible for students in England to take GCSE History in such a way as to cover nothing that happened after 1900. It isn't any more, but it is still possible to avoid both the World Wars. If you did that you'd have to do Vietnam instead, since the only "Modern Depth Study" which avoids the war years is "USA, 1954 to 1975".

One of the current options is "Whitechapel, 1870 to 1900". I think crissdee might have chosen that one!

Leith
1389215.  Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:32 pm Reply with quote

British folk given to watching documentaries may well have seen higher quality terrestrial fare, as Brock suggests (not least as cable channels and their successors haven't been widely available in the UK for all that long).

Still I fear AFB is being optimistic and for a substantial part of the population their WW2 knowledge is principally based on The Dam Busters and the Great Escape.

crissdee
1389216.  Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:32 pm Reply with quote

Why on earth would I study that?

Teach it perhaps, but not study it...

AlmondFacialBar
1389221.  Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:54 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
Jenny wrote:

Brock wrote:

Another good one.

Agreed, but, as was pointed out, both these are from the BBC and a time before the Tories took them over.

History Channel "documentaries" are a completely different ballgame.

AlmondFacialBar

tetsabb
1389222.  Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:57 pm Reply with quote

Leith wrote:

Still I fear AFB is being optimistic and for a substantial part of the population their WW2 knowledge is principally based on The Dam Busters and the Great Escape.

Very much my thought, too. Add in Battle of Britain

Brock
1389223.  Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:00 pm Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
crissdee wrote:
Jenny wrote:

Brock wrote:

Another good one.

Agreed, but, as was pointed out, both these are from the BBC and a time before the Tories took them over.

No they aren't. As I said above, The World at War was from ITV!

You may not believe it, but there was a time when ITV had a serious public service remit. Don't assume that all classic British television came from the BBC.

AlmondFacialBar
1389224.  Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:01 pm Reply with quote

Fair enough, I wasn't aware of that. Well, I knew ITV was once upon a time a serious broadcaster, but not that they had made The World At War.

Still not "History" Channel, though. ;-)

AlmondFacialBar

Brock
1389226.  Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:10 pm Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Fair enough, I wasn't aware of that. Well, I knew ITV was once upon a time a serious broadcaster, but not that they had made The World At War.

Even though I said it explicitly in post 1389208, and gave a link to the Wikipedia page for the programme?

I'm sorry, I tend to assume that people read what I post here :-)

AlmondFacialBar
1389227.  Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:15 pm Reply with quote

I was aware of both series because they ran in Germany, too, and so I didn't click.

AlmondFacialBar

Jenny
1389229.  Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:34 pm Reply with quote

Woodsman and I are currently watching a Netflix series called The Roman Empire. It's a mix between talking academic heads and action sequences often reminiscent of Game of Thrones. Academic and particularly historically accurate it often isn't, but if you stand back and squint at it a bit it's broadly true in its outlines, and it's entertaining. Not a patch on proper history though.

AlmondFacialBar
1389231.  Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:51 pm Reply with quote

As long as you're aware of that, nothing wrong with enjoying it. What bothers me about the History Channel in particular is that they've made an art form of pandering to people's prejudices and calling it a documentary.

AlmondFacialBar

Page 419 of 422
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 418, 419, 420, 421, 422  Next