View previous topic | View next topic

bookshop changes rant

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

JumpingJack
63148.  Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:02 pm Reply with quote

Dotcom's point is a good one. For what it's worth, the bookshop makes me feel ignorant and unread, too.

For that reason, it's important that the layout of the shop, the titles of the shelves and the general attitude of the staff is as welcoming and un-off-putting as possible.

It's not so much about changing the stock, but about changing how we bring it to people's notice.

laidbacklazyman
63160.  Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:28 pm Reply with quote

Beehive wrote:

Which is why, lblm, I don't like putting unsolicited books into the stock- they are usually appaling, self-published, spiral-bound affairs, or written by religious cranks, or both. They're out of place in a bookshop which trades on the idea of having selected the very best books.

I didn't mean that you should sell everything that comes through the door but to dismiss the sale of samples is a bit romantic. As I said it's a few years but when the freebies used to come to me there was always a brief synopsis that gives you the an idea of, in my case where to try and sell the book, or in your case whether to sell the book without everyone in the shop having a read.

benosborn
63360.  Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:10 am Reply with quote

JumpingJack wrote:
Dotcom's point is a good one. For what it's worth, the bookshop makes me feel ignorant and unread, too.

For that reason, it's important that the layout of the shop, the titles of the shelves and the general attitude of the staff is as welcoming and un-off-putting as possible.

It's not so much about changing the stock, but about changing how we bring it to people's notice.

I completely agree that this is the best way for the shop to survive, I'm just here to remind you not to lose sight of what made it great it the beginning.

QI Individual
65137.  Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:45 am Reply with quote

To generate more interest in the shop I'd think that the right kind of local/regional advertising would indeed be a useful first step. I would not go for big and bright but for small and subtle but continuous. Like small ads a few times a week (e.g. Wednesday, Friday and Saturday or perhaps even daily depending on the cost) on a fixed and fairly prominent place in the newspaper with a QI fact of the day similar to the ones on the QI homepage. With intriguing, amazing or funny QI facts that people after a while would tend to automatically look for in the same way as they look for the comics or the obituaries. Always inviting the reader to the bookstore of course with an additional short stimulating, quirky, enticing text. If you do it right then after a while the paper might even actually want it as a feature.

I couldn't resist thinking up a few lines. Maybe you'll like some of them.

- You can let your curiosity run wild in our QI bookshop. (or...)
- The QI bookshop is the place to unleash your unbridled curiosity.
- If you enjoy flexing your thinking muscle come to our QI bookshop.
- You'll run the risk of seriously enjoying yourself in our QI bookshop.
- We may not house the fountain of wisdom. But at least a fizzy tap. (sparkling tap)
- If you bring us your acres of curiosity, you may leave with the seeds of wisdom.
- Our books may have answers to questions you didn't even know you had.
- If you want answers your first question should be: "where's that QI bookshop?"
- You may drink from the fountain of knowledge or only gargle. Just don't spit.
- Your mind may be hungry or thirsty. Check out the books on our menu.
- Addicted to books? The QI bookshop has the fix.
- Want to know which books you'll want to read? You'll want to visit the QI bookshop.
- Don't know the answers? You'll find the questions in our QI bookshop.
- Are there stupid questions? At the QI bookshop we don't even ask that question.
- Have you SEEN the books in our QI bookshop? Well why don't you?
- Read any good books lately? Come and tell us at the QI bookshop.

It would make sense to do the ads in the form of a QI factoid accompanied by a web link to the QI website but perhaps better to one more directly linked to the bookshop ( www.qibooks.co.uk and www.qibookshop.co.uk both still seem to be available - you might want to register those - and the hyphenated varieties) where they will find additional information plus links with regards to the QI factoid-ad and of course much more about the bookshop that will make them want to visit it. A further link to the on-line bookshop and QI website goes without saying. Or if the space in the ad would be too small to put the QI factoid in just ask a QI question that makes people wonder about the answer and point them to the website for the answer. Certainly not always though. There are still plenty of people without Internet access.

Just my two cents.

barbados
71519.  Fri May 26, 2006 9:09 am Reply with quote

Can I ask, does the bookshop hold mass market or general trade paperbacks? Would you for example stock a copy of Book X? from faber and faber or the latest Harry Potter from Bloomsbury?.

I'm just curious really

Beehive
71639.  Sat May 27, 2006 12:53 pm Reply with quote

Yes, we do- the vast majority of our stock is from mainstream suppliers, though a significant proportion isn't. And we do sell the latest Harry Potter. We tried not to sell the Da Vinci Code, but someone ordered eight for their book group (we had to keep them hidden under the desk...)

barbados
71677.  Sun May 28, 2006 1:53 am Reply with quote

Thank you

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2