View previous topic | View next topic

Voodoo something to me

Page 1 of 1

pagetheoracle
1093315.  Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:13 am Reply with quote

Is there any proof putting a hex on someone, telling them they are going to die actually works, if they believe it?

It's like the myth, where someone gets their medical results mixed up with someone else and the person who is perfectly fit gets told they have a terminal illness and dies, whereas the person who was terminally ill and told they will live, does (Another apocryphal story I presume, unless you know better?)

 
CharliesDragon
1093340.  Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote

May I direct you to Hermione's observations in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban concerning telling the future?

The mind is a powerful thing, though.

 
Posital
1093367.  Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:45 am Reply with quote

pagetheoracle wrote:
Is there any proof
No. But some examples.

 
crissdee
1093569.  Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote

This, of course, amounts In no way to "proof" but in "Arthur C Clarke's World of Strange Powers" the 1960 case of a man called Finis P. Ernest is discussed, and it certainly gives the impression of a curse having been effective. Googling the man's name might bring up something interesting. I would do it myself but my internettage is marginal atm.

 
Sqw
1155830.  Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:01 am Reply with quote

Isn't this the rather wonderful "nocebo" effect?

The opposite of the placebo effect and just as strong

 
Zziggy
1155832.  Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:12 am Reply with quote

pagetheoracle wrote:
Is there any proof putting a hex on someone, telling them they are going to die actually works, if they believe it?

Actually it works whether they believe it or not ... you just need a long enough timescale.

 
'yorz
1155853.  Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:53 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
This, of course, amounts In no way to "proof" but in "Arthur C Clarke's World of Strange Powers" the 1960 case of a man called Finis P. Ernest is discussed, and it certainly gives the impression of a curse having been effective. Googling the man's name might bring up something interesting. I would do it myself but my internettage is marginal atm.


OK, a tad late, but here is a case featuring someone with that not very common name. It has to do with sewerage. Close but no cigar, I assume? :-)

 
AlmondFacialBar
1155857.  Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:09 am Reply with quote

One fine day in the late 1960s my dad was mad at someone he'd been doing business with and said he wished that guy would break his neck and die. The next day said guy had a car accident, broke his neck and died. Pure co-incidence of course, but if anyone wanted to regard that as a curse doing its job I could see their point.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

 
crissdee
1155938.  Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
crissdee wrote:
This, of course, amounts In no way to "proof" but in "Arthur C Clarke's World of Strange Powers" the 1960 case of a man called Finis P. Ernest is discussed, and it certainly gives the impression of a curse having been effective. Googling the man's name might bring up something interesting. I would do it myself but my internettage is marginal atm.


OK, a tad late, but here is a case featuring someone with that not very common name. It has to do with sewerage. Close but no cigar, I assume? :-)


Try googling the name + "voodoo". you get a book about voodoo with a precis of the case.

 
'yorz
1155967.  Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote

Pffft. You just said, "Google his name", which I did.

 
crissdee
1156010.  Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:11 pm Reply with quote

I hadn't tried it tbh, just assumed the name was odd enough to narrow it down. In my defence, I also said "might".

Soz (as the young people say) 😢

 
'yorz
1156020.  Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote

I should remember to put smilies all over the place. :-) :-) :-)

 
sally carr
1156028.  Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:09 pm Reply with quote

White magic teaches that if you curse someone you get it back threefold.

 
'yorz
1156031.  Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote

And when you smile at someone thrice?

 
Spud McLaren
1156102.  Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:39 am Reply with quote

You get some very funny looks, and possibly an indecent offer.

 

Page 1 of 1

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group