12%  [ 4 ]
nun
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 31

Davini994
62393.  Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:03 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
I'm afraid this is the problem I have with the US of A. One may not challenge them on guns, on the fact that their last but one Presidential election was rigged, or on their denial that global warming exists, without just receiving a barrage of abuse.

I agree. Iíd say that there are a lot of parallels between 'patriotic' (people who shout "USA! USA! USA!" at every opportunity), and some forms of organised religion. Being part of "The Greatest Democracy On Earth" is their religion. i.e. the thoughtless dogmatism, and vitriol directed at those who wish to discuss issues rationally. And the unquestioning belief in whatever the higher power, in this case Fox News, says.

Of course, this doesn't include every patriotic American - there are plenty that are proud, intelligent and realistic, with a willingness to discuss both strengths and weaknesses of the US. They would be a credit to any culture. But not enough to prevent the US from dragging the entire planet towards oblivionÖ

Does anyone know a name for the "USA! USA! USA!" Brigade? I donít really like calling them patriotic.

Davini994
62394.  Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:40 am Reply with quote

Tas wrote:
Today's humour was brought to you by the Antiques Joke Show, and the Home For Retired Humour.Tas

Keep 'em coming Tas - you crack me up.

Tas
62399.  Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:18 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anyone know a name for the "USA! USA! USA!" Brigade? I donít really like calling them patriotic.

The one rational meerkan that I know calls the "Assholes!" but only quietly, and not within earshot of them! He gets quite embarrassed by the whole "USA! USA! USA!" thing...

:-)

Tas

carax
62408.  Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:36 am Reply with quote

Quote:

How about extremists or is that to much?

suze
62410.  Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:04 am Reply with quote

If you ask me it's not too much, but we don't want that nice Mr Bush to send his bombers over ...

NB Already this morning, a guy I work with has accused me of being anti-American. I'm not, I'm anti-bigot, of whatever nationality or faith. I also have a tendency to leftism, but that doesn't mean that I approve of the Chinese government or the self-proclaimed Marxist Robert Mugabe either.

What I would like to know and don't is what proportion of Americans actually take the "We Are The Religious Right And We Rule The World" stance which has a lot to do with their attitudes. Is it that they are few but noisy, or is it in fact a position taken by - say - a rather greater proportion than the proportion of Muslims who support Usama bin Laden?

Davini994
62418.  Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:15 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
self-proclaimed Marxist Robert Mugabe.

Bob Jong Il you mean?;)

Suze wrote:
What I would like to know and don't is what proportion of Americans actually take the "We Are The Religious Right And We Rule The World" stance

Would this be the same as voted for Bush? Because you would if you do, and wouldn't if you don't. If you get what I mean... Almost exactly half of the population voted for Bush, in the last 2 elections.

How about calling them: "Fox Fundamentalists" ???

suze
62424.  Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:39 am Reply with quote

Yup, I guess you are right there. How worried should I be at the thought of Jeb Bush - the guy who unilaterally decided that Dubya won that first election - being the next president?

But of course half the population didn't in fact vote for him. Half the people who voted preferred him. For sure, it's normal to assume that people who choose not to vote make this decision because they don't really care either way, but not necessarily true in the USA. The urban poor, and especially the non-white urban poor, have a disproportionate tendency not to vote - and it's reasonable to imagine that a lot of these would not support Dubya.

Then again, if Tony Blair were American he would be a Democrat, but still too left wing to ever get elected as President!

carax
62426.  Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:47 am Reply with quote

That is one factor that I've felt very uncomfortable about since it began, the fact that our So called "Left Wing" Prime Minister is best friends with a "Right Wing" President and backs him on the majority of his policies.

Tas
62427.  Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:47 am Reply with quote

Tony Blair and New Labour are left wing?

Can't say that I noticed that too much....!

:-D

Tas

samivel
62465.  Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:48 am Reply with quote

Me neither

suze
62468.  Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:55 am Reply with quote

Nor me. When I first came to live in Britain, I found the New Labour party to be centrist - not unlike the Liberals who held power in Canada for most of the 20th century.

But they have decidedly lurched to the right in the last few years (and so has Canada, which recently went Conservative). I'm afraid that Britain, like the US, now has two right wing parties as the only ones likely to get elected.

Will this change when that nice Mr Broon gets his feet under the desk?

carax
62470.  Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:00 am Reply with quote

Lets hope so, but I can't really see it.

ficklefiend
62501.  Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:29 am Reply with quote

Davini994 wrote:

Jingoist?

Rory Gilmore
62538.  Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:22 pm Reply with quote

Do you suppose that if the Conservatives were to become slightly left wing Labour would have to become more left wing in an effort to remain the left wing party, eventually turning them into, well, a bunch of lefties?

The thing I can't get my head around is why Buddhism goes on about the worthlessness of the material world then has giant giant gold statues in it's temples. Does anyone know?

djgordy
62585.  Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:06 pm Reply with quote

Rory Gilmore wrote:
Do you suppose that if the Conservatives were to become slightly left wing Labour would have to become more left wing in an effort to remain the left wing party, eventually turning them into, well, a bunch of lefties?

If Ken Clarke had won the Tory leadership election then we would have had the interesting situation in which the leader of the Labour party was more right ring than his Conservative counterpart.

Page 4 of 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next