12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
nun
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 31

Gray
64385.  Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:05 am Reply with quote

I think the best name for the class is - and should be everywhere - Religious Studies. Call a spade a spade.

Kevino7
64409.  Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:20 am Reply with quote

That's what it is called for my GCSE, although mine concentrates on Catholic teachings (as I go to a Catholic School)

Jenny
64937.  Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:36 pm Reply with quote

The teaching of religious studies is absolutely not allowed in public schools in the US though. When my sixteen year-old son started in an American high school, they would not count his GCSE grade C in RE towards his high school graduation.

Rory Gilmore
65063.  Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:34 pm Reply with quote

It must have been heart-breaking.
I was given an award when I was fourteen for "Effort in Moral Issues", and my mum went and had it framed.

Jenny
65066.  Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:09 pm Reply with quote

Your mum obviously has a sense of humour Rory.

Rory Gilmore
65190.  Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:06 am Reply with quote

The worst thing is I've won two "Acheivement in Physics" awards since and they're still lying on my desk.

Woodsman
65581.  Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:35 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
The worst thing is I've won two "Acheivement in Physics" awards since and they're still lying on my desk.

Molecularly bonded, no doubt.

greenleafje
66319.  Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:02 am Reply with quote

Feroluce wrote:
As far as inconsistencies go..

Every religion clearly states that if you follow a religion other that theirs, you go to hell.

A classic bit of Zen there, unless you can figure out a way to follow every religion while at the same time following none of them, you're going to hell.

If hell is warmer than England during the winter, count me in!

Rory Gilmore
66363.  Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:40 am Reply with quote

But wasn't the Norse equivilent of Hell supposed to be really cold?

I read in the Bible the other day a line about how Jesus was going to shovel bad folk into a fire with his pitch-fork. I think it was Jesus, at least, and I'm sure it wasn't the devil.

Quaintly Ignorant
66386.  Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:48 am Reply with quote

Rory Gilmore wrote:
But wasn't the Norse equivilent of Hell supposed to be really cold?

I read in the Bible the other day a line about how Jesus was going to shovel bad folk into a fire with his pitch-fork. I think it was Jesus, at least, and I'm sure it wasn't the devil.

Is that Revelations when sinners are cast into the lake of fire?

There isn't much mention of "Hell" or of pitch-forks from what I remember of the Bible.

Intriguing.

Rory Gilmore
66389.  Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:03 pm Reply with quote

I think I wrote the reference number on my chest of drawers, I'll go check... Matthew 3:11/3:12

Quote:
"...He will baptise you with the Holy Spirit and with fire. His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing-floor, gathering his wheat into the barn and burning up the chaff with unquenchable fire."

Quaintly Ignorant
66423.  Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:45 pm Reply with quote

Why thank you Mister Gilmore. Thou art most kind. ^.^

Caradoc
68010.  Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:57 pm Reply with quote

Gray wrote:
Needless to say, I don't think creation theory or ID should be discussed in science class, them not being even remotely scientific theories.

As the god botherers make a big thing of the fact that evolution is still a theory, mainly due to their ignorance of the way proper science works, if they want schools to teach creation or ID, I have problem with this as long as they are taught as the creation myth & the ID bolleaux.

Rory Gilmore
68044.  Mon May 01, 2006 6:27 am Reply with quote

As far as I know, no-where in the Bible does it say that you must teach children all this six-day buisiness for them to be Christian. You can easily believe in and love God without knowing all the stories, or else we're all damned.

wilburrobert
68067.  Mon May 01, 2006 9:43 am Reply with quote

post 68062

there is a disturbing account of religion at work.

maybe the "mainstream" religions arent the same by way of mass suicides. but it just shows how religion is a control people dont need.

People need to make moral decisions based on evidence, humanistic moral instinct and non-religious teaching. Not because of Revelations of some crazy old fool or ones self. Tradition is also not a good reason to trust organised religion. it was tradition in the western world for many years to treat black people as a subserviant race of people.

humans have evolved with problem solving minds. we dont need these traditions, revelations, and authoritative religious leaders telling us what to do.

Page 9 of 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next