View previous topic | View next topic

The Third Book of General Ignorance?

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Ian Dunn
1089348.  Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:52 am Reply with quote

I just spotted this on Amazon. Is there really going to be a third book of General Ignorance?

suze
1089409.  Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:38 am Reply with quote

The way that is worded suggests to me that the guys have contracted with publishers for a third book, but as yet nothing further has happened.

"Name" authors do that sort of thing. Some of the big name novelists have contracts for half a dozen novels that they haven't written yet. The writer gets some money for committing himself to that publisher, and the publisher gets the books once they are written*.

* Actually, the publisher gets first refusal. If, once the book is delivered, the publisher thinks it's utter crap then she can decline to publish it.

The author is then at liberty to approach other publishers, but if he finds no one willing to take the book then he doesn't normally have to give back any money he's been paid.

djgordy
1089570.  Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:55 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
* Actually, the publisher gets first refusal. If, once the book is delivered, the publisher thinks it's utter crap then she can decline to publish it.

Or. more likely, publish it regardless..

eggshaped
1128634.  Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:56 am Reply with quote

Just seen this. Working on the book, though I'm not sure where negotiations etc are, so can't say 100% that it will be out whenever Amazon says it will.

But it's fair to say that it's pretty likely that there will be a Gen Ig 3 some time in the not too distant future.

CharliesDragon
1128757.  Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote

It's a good thing we're separated by a few thousand miles, or I would embarass myself by jumping up and hugging you. :P

pmailkeey
1165223.  Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:52 pm Reply with quote

Well it is available

and on page 233 talks about Brazil nuts. The question is though, do we really believe Brazil nuts come from Brazil nut trees ? Acorns don't come from acorn trees and pine cones don't grow on pine cone trees. Should they just be called Brazil trees ? The idea of Brazil nuts coming from Brazil nut trees is somewhat backwards - cart before the horse type thing. Perhaps Brazil nut trees grow from Brazil nuts, not the other way around ? Which came first?

Also, quoting from the book "Brazil nut trees grown outside the rainforest lack the necessary orchids and bees and never bear fruit." However, I don't think Brazil nuts are fruit either; nor as the next paragraph confirms, they're not nuts either; but seeds. Perhaps the trees that come from these seeds are Brazil seed trees ? The seeds grow in 'pods', not fruit. Pea pods don't appear to be fruit either so why should Brazil trees to be expected to bear fruit ?

Is it a language thing - what is a fruit in Latin is a pod in Greek ?

How did they get their name in the first place ? If it's the country, we're not even sure how we're spelling it - Brazil of Brasil ?

Mike.

CharliesDragon
1165241.  Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:46 pm Reply with quote

I'd accuse you of being way too pendantic, but here that's more or less a term of honour. :P

I think we can conclude that the trees bearing what we call Brazil nuts do not make what we call Brazil nuts without the needed orchids and bees, which are only found in the rainforest.

Bananas come from banana palms/plants, though, so if we apply that logic to Brazil nuts and their trees it works, and seeing as bananas and Brazil nuts fall into the more exotic category of plants from an English point of view where you don't have two millenium of lingustic evolution behind it, like you do with acorns and pine cones, I think it's fair enough.

Although if a Greek pod is a Latin fruit, does that make octopodes fruits? :P

crissdee
1165259.  Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:11 am Reply with quote

Got this for Crimbo!😆

Spud McLaren
1165326.  Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote

pmailkeey wrote:
Should they just be called Brazil trees ?
Do walnuts come from a wal tree?

tetsabb
1165331.  Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote

Do peanuts come from a peatree?

Maybe let's not think about that too much

pmailkeey
1165350.  Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:21 pm Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
pmailkeey wrote:
Should they just be called Brazil trees ?
Do walnuts come from a wal tree?

No silly, walnuts come from Wal*Mart !

pmailkeey
1165353.  Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote

It hasn't taken me long to find errors in the book...

iv

QI Ltd appears yet again in the book series despite me pointing out after book 2 that QI Ltd is a computer software manufacturer.

Lake Windermere is not England's largest lake. Windermere is England's largest lake.

None of the Lake Winderemeres are in England:

Lake Windermere, Windermere, Loxa, Coles County, Illinois, 61938, United States of America

Lake Windermere, Kathryn Blair Lane, Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, 28226, United States of America

Lake Windermere, Woodhaven Road, Memphis, Shelby County, Tennessee, 38128, United States of America

Lake Windermere, South Lakewood Drive, Memphis, Shelby County, Tennessee, 38128, United States of America

Lake Windermere, Overland Track, Tasmania, Australia

Lake Windermere, Ellmoos Road, Jervis Bay Village, Jervis Bay Territory, Australia

And some aren't even bodies of water:

Lake Windermere Dam, Memphis, Shelby County, Tennessee, United States of America

Lake Windermere Dam, Coles County, Illinois, United States of America

and one is more than one body of water:

Lakes of Windermere, Horizon West, Lakeside Village, Orange County, Florida, 34786, United States of America.

Canada prefers things the other way around:

Windermere Lake

Lac Windermere

Right, I shall read on...

pmailkeey
1165367.  Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure LEGO does not manufacture the world's largest tyre. It could be doubtful that Lego is even the world's largest manufacturer of tyres. They may, however, manufacture the greatest number of tyres per annum at 320 million.

14-11-2014
1165536.  Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:14 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Canada prefers things the other way around:

Windermere Lake

Lac Windermere

Lac Windermere is reversing French (White Mountain, Mont Blanc), not Canada.
In (French) Braille,
English is written from right to left in Canada.

Alfred E Neuman
1165537.  Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:41 am Reply with quote

14-11-2014 wrote:
English is written from right to left in Canada.

Been at the 'coffee' shop already this morning have we?

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next