View previous topic | View next topic

Dudley

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

eggshaped
61594.  Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:14 am Reply with quote

I think my request for interesting things about Didcot, the other day, was a little unfair - though people did make a jolly good effort.

So I wonder if anyone can find anything interesting about Dudley - here's my effort which I bet is trumpable.

The oldest ever condom was found in a toilet in Dudley. The sheath, made of animal and fish intestines, was excavated from Dudley Castle in 1985 and is thought to have been there since 1646.

tetsabb
61628.  Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:47 pm Reply with quote

Lenny Henry was born in Dudley, and, I believe, spent his childhood there, so we should not criticise too harshly.

As for condoms, www.durex.com suggests that they have been in use since 1200 BCE in ancient Egypt.

djgordy
61638.  Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:31 pm Reply with quote

Harry Potter's obnoxious cousin is called Dudley.

gerontius grumpus
61655.  Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:36 pm Reply with quote

Dudley has some very deep and long canal tunnels which can be visited in an electric trip boat.
Like Sapperton and Standedge, they are partly unlined, cut from the living rock.

Ther is another Dudley in Tyne and Wear which is not interesting at all, partly due to the absence of canals from the North East of England.

dr.bob
61695.  Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:19 am Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:

And his surname is Dursley, which is a town in Gloucestershire.

Poor lad, being named after two different places.

samivel
61707.  Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:43 am Reply with quote

Surely that's better than being named after the same place twice - Dursley Dursley would be a right bugger of a name.

:)

Celebaelin
61712.  Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:02 am Reply with quote

Dudley is interesting in one regard at least, those of us of a Midlands persuasion/residence may recall

Quote:
There was a magnitude 4.8 earthquake near Dudley on 22nd September 2002 at 23:53 GMT (23rd September at 00:53 BST). The earthquake appears to have occurred on the Midland Microcraton along the Malvern Lineament (see picture below). The are no reports of any injuries and and minor damage was caused.

http://www.esci.keele.ac.uk/geophysics/quakes/dudley_earthquake.html

Ground shakes slightly in the UK, the gripping story revealed in todays' shock horror exposť.

The site fetures a LANDSAT image showing the earthquake epicentre and the surrounding devastation, no, wait, Dudley always looks like that. It is one of those rare places where an earthquake constitutes urban renewal and beautification.

gerontius grumpus
61714.  Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:04 am Reply with quote

Dursley was the home of Listers who make, amongst other things, engines for narrowboats. Ironically it was the founder of the company who, when he was a member of Gloucestershire County council, campaigned most insistently for the closure of the Thames and Severn Canal in the 1920s.

Lack of foresight, boats were mainly horsedrawn then.

djgordy
61718.  Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:15 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
djgordy wrote:

And his surname is Dursley, which is a town in Gloucestershire.

Poor lad, being named after two different places.

Whitney Houston is named after two places and it doesn't seem to have done her any harm. Well, unless you count being married to Bobby Brown as being harmed.

(I would appreciate it if nobody would point out that Houston itself is named after a person cos that would ruin my point. Thankyou.)

gerontius grumpus
61723.  Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:31 am Reply with quote

Does she own a company that makes blankets for NASA mission control?

AndyE
61735.  Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:01 am Reply with quote

You never know ...

From a geographer's point of view, there are a couple of interesting things about Dudley. The earthquake has already been mentioned, so two others.

1. It's a better contender than Corby for the dubious honour of being Britain's largest town without a station.

post 39391 et seq.

According to the 2001 census, the population of Dudley is 194,900 and it doesn't have a station. The reason it's not conventionally given as the answer to this question is that it forms part of the West Midlands conurbation and so one can't easily say where it starts and stops.

2. Dudley was one of Britain's last few exclaved parts of counties. Until 1974 when the county of West Midlands was invented, Dudley was in Worcestershire, but was surrounded on all sides by Staffordshire.

Apart from the exclaved parts of the City of London all the remaining ones were tidied away in the 1974 restructuring, but for ceremonial purposes Dudley remains in Worcestershire. A few others hung on until that year (Barrow in Furness, Lancashire and the Flintshire Maelor for instance), but most of the more bizarre of these geographical anomalies were abolished by Act of Parliament in 1844. (Wokingham, Wiltshire and Halesowen, Shropshire for instance.)

Wardrobe
61740.  Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:35 am Reply with quote

samivel wrote:
Surely that's better than being named after the same place twice - Dursley Dursley would be a right bugger of a name.

:)
Gary and Phil Neville (footballers apparently!) have a father called Neville.

Yes......Neville Neville..............

What nEVILle parents.

grizzly
61742.  Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:37 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Like Sapperton and Standedge, they are partly unlined, cut from the living rock.

Living rock? Is there something about these locations that I don't know about?

gerontius grumpus
61810.  Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:02 pm Reply with quote

This is part of the roof of Sapperton tunnel, the living bit is a figure of speech. Unfortunately some of the lined parts are like this:-

Or this.

jeffm
63541.  Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:40 am Reply with quote

Dudley was the birth place of Duncan Edwards who played football for Manchester United and sadly died in the Munich air disaster. His cousin Denis Stevens who also hailed from Dudley also played football in the same era for Bolton Wanderers.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next