View previous topic | View next topic

Ding Dong, the Gove is Gone!

Page 14 of 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14

Jenny
1277373.  Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:47 am Reply with quote

One of the problems I have with some private schools (though I don't think this applies to state selective schools such as the one suze teaches at) is that they burnish their stellar results by selective expulsion. I have come across instances of students being informed at the end of Y9 that they will need to make alternative educational arrangements because the school does not think they will get good GCSE results.

All schools could make their results look great if they did that!

Baryonyx
1277379.  Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:57 am Reply with quote

Hence the furore over my alma mater St. Olaves

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-42033702

suze
1277401.  Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:30 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
Just out of interest, I had a quick look at the selection system for the minor public school at which my cousin teaches

What you describe there is actually quite similar to what my school does, except that we don't do the interviews.

For entry at 16+ we'd be allowed to interview to "assess suitability for the school" but not as part of an academic selection procedure. That is as easily abused as you think it is, which is a large part of the reason why we choose not to do it.

Jenny wrote:
One of the problems I have with some private schools (though I don't think this applies to state selective schools such as the one suze teaches at) is that they burnish their stellar results by selective expulsion. I have come across instances of students being informed at the end of Y9 that they will need to make alternative educational arrangements because the school does not think they will get good GCSE results.

I have an acquaintance who teaches at the school to which Baryonyx refers, so I've heard more than I ever need to about the shenanigans which went on there.

There are those who will tell you that my school played the same sort of game under its previous Head. I wasn't Head of Faculty then and I trust you will understand if I prefer not to comment, but the present Head has made it extremely plain that she will have no truck with any such practice.

franticllama
1277560.  Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:43 pm Reply with quote

I went to such a school. My best friend was asked to make alternative arrangements at the end of Grade 2.* She was a bit too rowdy for the sensibilities of the school. By too rowdy I mean she occasionally spoke out of turn and preferred sports to academics. The school would rather get rid of those who don't conform to their ideal 'lady'

*Age 8.

Page 14 of 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14