View previous topic | View next topic

Misattributed Quotes

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

crissdee
1090253.  Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote

The one that always grates with me, is where Tony Curtis is alledged to have compared kissing MM to kissing Hitler.

His character in "Some Like it Hot" said just that, but in such a context that it was clear his pants had long since succumbed to combustion and were but a sooty smear around his.......censored before the image took hold!

Zziggy
1090255.  Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
The prettiness, blondeness and sex cymbalness of the quoter does not impinge on the profundity (or otherwise) of the quote. Especially if one considers the nonsense that spouts from the mouths of people who are unpretty, non-blonde and anti-cymbal.

What? I only mean when quotes are misattributed. Not legitimate quotes. Was that the issue?

PS *symbol :P

suze
1090257.  Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote

gruff5 wrote:
There's the Voltaire one about defending to the death someone's right to say something, even if not agreed with. Said by the character of Voltaire in a play, not by Voltaire himself.

In fact, those very words appear in no work of Voltaire's. In his Traité sur la tolérance (1763) he did express an opinion along those lines but phrased it differently.

The wording which we all know comes from a work of 1906 called The Friends of Voltaire, published under the name S G Tallentyre although this was a pseudonym. This is an unusually structured work in ten sections, each of which is a fictionalized biography of one of Voltaire's friends. In the section about the philosopher Helvétius, there is an anecdote about an omelette which is reported to have led Voltaire to utter the famous words.

The attribution to Voltaire was first published in Reader's Digest (Jun 1934), but the woman who had written as Tallentyre - by now writing under her own name as Evelyn Hall - pointed out the error in a letter published in Saturday Review a few months later.

djgordy
1090300.  Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:45 am Reply with quote

Zziggy wrote:
djgordy wrote:
The prettiness, blondeness and sex cymbalness of the quoter does not impinge on the profundity (or otherwise) of the quote. Especially if one considers the nonsense that spouts from the mouths of people who are unpretty, non-blonde and anti-cymbal.

What? I only mean when quotes are misattributed. Not legitimate quotes. Was that the issue?

PS *symbol :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks3hDBefQs4

Bondee
1213785.  Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote

What the fuck are you on about?

QI Moderator
1213794.  Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote

I deleted that post and banned the poster. Her occupation and place of abode were very iffy indeed.

Spud McLaren
1213801.  Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote

Makes Bondee's post seem somewhat - surrealist.

'yorz
1213815.  Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote

Won't be the first time. Look at some of his jokes...:-p

Spud McLaren
1213818.  Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote

Fair point. Call me thick*, but I'm still wrestling with the artificial insemination one.

* could be worse

'yorz
1213826.  Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:22 pm Reply with quote

I think we're supposed to read jacks in stead of Jack's.

Zziggy
1213832.  Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote

Oh, I think that's because of the old joke of grammar being the difference between helping your uncle, Jack, off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

PDR
1213840.  Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:52 pm Reply with quote

Not to mention the difference being showing your shit and showing you're shit.

PDR

Bondee
1213942.  Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote

You lot do realise I can see this, right?

Spud McLaren wrote:
Fair point. Call me thick*, but I'm still wrestling with the artificial insemination one.

* could be worse

As a clever* man said in post 1202636, you only had to ask.

*Who laughed?

Spud McLaren
1213963.  Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:26 pm Reply with quote

Bondee wrote:
As a clever* man said in post 1202636, you only had to ask.

*Who laughed?
Me.

I could have asked, but that rather spoils the fun in a frog dissection sort of way. As it happens, I hadn't heard the Uncle Jack thing, so I hadn't much hope there.

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk
1247229.  Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:17 am Reply with quote

The phrase 'Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door' has frequently been misattributed to Ralph Waldo Emerson.

In fact what he said was, 'If a man has good corn, or wood, or boards, or pigs, to sell, or can make better chairs or knives, crucibles or church organs, than anybody else, you will find a broad hard-beaten road to his house, though be it in the woods'

[en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Build_a_better_mousetrap-and-the-world-will-beat-a-path-to-your-door]
[/url]

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next