View previous topic | View next topic

Lids and lashes

Page 1 of 1

shashipancholi
1081732.  Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote

I regret being a little late to the the L party, especially because of something quite interesting i recently read.

The upper eyelid (and lashes) of the average human will travel approximately 40km a year.

This fact has been extracted from an article i recently read and enjoyed titled 'Whatís the best contact lens for my patient?' where Professor Noel Brennan surmises : "When you think about how far that part of the lid travels across the lens: 1cm up, 1 cm down per blink, 6-10 times per minute, 60 minutes per hour, 16 hours per day, 365 days per year Ė thatís over 40km the eyelid travels in a year"

It feels obvious that averages were required for this fact however the 40km figure is conservative even by Professor Brennan's own estimations. A simple calculation would show a low end figure of ~42km and a top end figure of ~70km and if you'll allow me to indulge, i'd like to go one step further.

The average person born in the UK can expect to live to the age of 78.2 - 82.3 years (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15372869) so based on an average blink rate of 8 blinks/min and an average lifespan of 80 years the lids and lashes of the average person can travel approximately 4500km.

What would you relate this mind blowing distance to? My initial idea was of the length of the UK (Land's End to John o'Groats) by road (1,407 km) travelled 3 times however i'm sure there are many more humorous and fascinating ideas than mine. I welcome all comments, complaints, compliments and although this information is almost entirely useless please bear in mind that it is only for entertainment and as such i hope you find it to be quite interesting.

Gupp
1082608.  Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:46 am Reply with quote

I do find it interesting. Maybe there is a way to link it up with the measurement post? http://old.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=32165

Page 1 of 1