View previous topic | View next topic

mythical creatures

Page 1 of 1

salamander
1081150.  Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:45 am Reply with quote

Tanuki is a creature thats both real and maythical and can be translated as racooon dog in thereakl version but as ian dunn mentions the mythical (pottery version) has huge testicles,tries to decieve women and is unmasked by being given sake
kirin is dragon like creature and a girafffe
kappa is a green human like creature based on the giant salamander
The more monstrous remind me of the title of alex kerrs dogs and demons
where the chinese artiststells us demons are much easier to depict than dogs,

salamander
1083301.  Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:58 am Reply with quote

origins of trolls,ogres,faries,and dwarves
it seems to me plausible that these are racial memories of earlier types of humans or prehumans or prehistoric distorted accounts of other races.
one of the frst encountes between captain cook and maori, he wa depicted as a form of goblin

Prof Wind Up Merchant
1091784.  Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote

Loch Ness Monster. That is a mythical creature.

CharliesDragon
1091806.  Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:08 pm Reply with quote

The Wulver is a werewolf-like creature from Shetland which is said to keep to itself and leave fish on the window sills of poor people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wulver

As for trolls, etc. being memories of previous tribes or homonids... I don't buy that theory. You're free to believe it, but from what I know of Norwegian/Scandinavian trolls and supernatural/mythological beings in general, they're either used to explain phenomenons or as cautionary tales. In one tale about Espen Askeladden, he fools a troll into splitting its own stomach, thereby killing it.

berty ashley
1097871.  Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:52 am Reply with quote

A Unicorn is a white horse with one single pointy horn on it's forehead. It's supposed to be mythical. But can be abundantly found in Children's TV shows and books. Though not many in fairytales.

Very very interestingly, they are mentioned multiple times in the Bible.

Job. 39:9-10 KJV, "Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib? 10 Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in the furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee?"

Psalm 22:21 KJV, "Save me from the lionís mouth: for thou hast heard me from the horns of the unicorns."

Isaiah 34:7 KJV, "And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness."

See also KJV in Num. 23:22; Nu. 24:8; Deut. 33:17; Psalm 29:6; 92:10.

CharliesDragon
1097872.  Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:58 am Reply with quote

The mentions of unicorns in the Bible is the result of bad translation somewhere along the way. I don't remember for sure, but I think the real animal is the rhino. It fits with that rhinos have central horns, at least.

salamander
1098130.  Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:46 am Reply with quote

unicorns are rhinos and are the best example of this

crissdee
1118679.  Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:39 am Reply with quote

Prof Wind Up Merchant wrote:
Loch Ness Monster. That is a mythical creature.

There's a whole bunch of people who'd argue that!

Page 1 of 1