View previous topic | View next topic

Maori

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Alfred E Neuman
1130312.  Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:45 am Reply with quote

Peeeeeteeeee wrote:
Oh, and by the way suze. I am from New Zealand and have been here for a while.

Yes, but you make huge sweeping statements, and when asked to back them up with references, you get upset. We like learning new stuff, but we like to know that what we're learning has some basis in facts.

Zebra57
1130473.  Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:30 am Reply with quote

The most incredible haka I have seen is the one performed by the NZ Ice Hockey team.

gruff5
1130480.  Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:14 am Reply with quote

Saw a skeleton of a giant Moa bird at the NHM last week. Modern man is no more destructive in character than original man, just we have more powerful technology now.

'yorz
1130493.  Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:33 am Reply with quote

Zebra57 wrote:
The most incredible haka I have seen is the one performed by the NZ Ice Hockey team.

I guess it's the enclosed accoustics that make it more impressive than the open air ones.

Zziggy
1130503.  Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:02 am Reply with quote

Haka On Ice? I'd watch that.

suze
1130540.  Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:42 am Reply with quote

There are several instance of the haka on ice on YouTube.

Slightly disappointingly, they don't finish by jumping in the air and trying to land on their skates.

Jumping on hockey skates is actually rather difficult to do. In Britain you won't even get a chance to try it since the skates issued at public rinks are almost always figure skates, but in Canada they are usually hockey skates. Even so, those who are competent enough at figures that they want to practise jumping are generally advised to get themselves some figure skates before they do.

CharliesDragon
1130572.  Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote

It would probably damage the ice when they land and make it harder/more dangerous to skate over that particular area.

Here you have to buy your own skates, there aren't public rinks. There are ice maintained for the public, but there's no service like renting skates. (At least not that I know of, but come to think of it, it is right next to the sports hall and all the clubs there... All my classmates had to have skates, though, just like we had to have skis, for school outings.)

blau
1132665.  Fri May 08, 2015 9:55 pm Reply with quote

Unrelated to haka and ice (probably), New Zealand has submitted two films in the Māori language for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film (White Lies in 2013 and The Dead Lands last year). And a Māori version of Merchant of Venice was filmed in the early 2000s based on a 1945 translation of the play.

And yes, jumping on skates is tricky is hell and discouraged unless you're a figure skater.

'yorz
1132677.  Sat May 09, 2015 3:18 am Reply with quote

I love Whale Rider.

Peeeeeteeeee
1134786.  Tue May 26, 2015 4:46 pm Reply with quote

I think that you don't understand what I am really getting at. I'm not upset. These 'sweeping statements have as much fact as anything. My whole point is really that the Maori is actually a very interesting race. Even though it is, as almost everyone can agree, a very new race, there are a lot of unanswered questions about not only the culture but even there origins.
New Zealand is well know country. It is occupied by people from all over the world. Considering its population, it does remarkably well at a lot of sports. Has a lot of international trade. Has invented quite a few things. But.......nobody really knows its history, even the last 500 years.
Only 50 years ago it was widely believed that Maori's were native to New Zealand and that the English were the first foreign country to discover New Zealand. We do know that almost every country that explored the world visited New Zealand before them and sometime during all of this the Maori's (in some form) settled in New Zealand.
Ohh....and by the way......I re-read my post to Suze and it came out more aggressive than it was meant to be. Sorry, it was just suppose to say that I was from New Zealand (as Suze had probably not noticed).

Peeeeeteeeee
1134788.  Tue May 26, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote

I have jumped on ice skates. I was not planned but I did jump three people...at speed. (I will let you imagine whatever you want in your head). I did skate away though. I think at the speed I was going it was easier. It would be a lot harder stationary.

'yorz
1134790.  Tue May 26, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote

Peeeeeteeeee wrote:
I have jumped on ice skates. I was not planned but I did jump three people...at speed. (I will let you imagine whatever you want in your head). I did skate away though. I think at the speed I was going it was easier. It would be a lot harder stationary.

But - did the three others skate away, too?

Peeeeeteeeee
1141280.  Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:07 am Reply with quote

They were not skating before the incident.

ratel.h.badger
1155583.  Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote

This video has been doing the rounds on social media here in New Zealand for awhile... Thought I would throw it up here, so others can mull it over.

Featuring Finn... the younger brother of a gal I went to high-school with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6-SdrRxPOQ

ratel.h.badger
1155586.  Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote

Peeeeeteeeee wrote:
Another quite interesting thing about Maori culture is where they got there haka from. It was basically taught to them as a way to keep fit by Scottish explorers.

Did you take a lot of your info from Martin Doutre?

http://www.celticnz.co.nz/
http://www.celticnz.co.nz/articles.html
http://www.celticnz.co.nz/hot_mail.html
http://www.celticnz.co.nz/other_links.html

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next