View previous topic | View next topic

Maori

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Janet H
1078547.  Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote

Fascinating culture with Polynesian heritage.

Off to find out interesting things, but to be going on with :

http://www.maori.info/maori_language.htm

Janet H
1078958.  Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote

In 2002 NASA prepared an image of the whole earth using the MODIS satellite. They collected all the images they had with no cloud cover and eventually they produced this:

They had great difficulty finding cloud-free images of the South Island of New Zealand, but eventually got one:

The Maori name for what we call New Zealand is Aotearoa - the land of the long white cloud.

http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view.php?id=62892

salamander
1081627.  Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:45 am Reply with quote

maui as the great navigator and trickster and link to other polynesian cutures might be interesting

Peeeeeteeeee
1125507.  Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote

The Maori may be one of the most recent races if you are to use the information from Scotland. They have also had a quite interesting history.

http://old.qi.com/talk/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=44618

Peeeeeteeeee
1125508.  Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:14 pm Reply with quote

Another quite interesting thing about Maori culture is where they got there haka from. It was basically taught to them as a way to keep fit by Scottish explorers.

Alfred E Neuman
1125523.  Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:52 am Reply with quote

Peeeeeteeeee wrote:
Another quite interesting thing about Maori culture is where they got there haka from. It was basically taught to them as a way to keep fit by Scottish explorers.

I think you'll need to back that up with a reference or two :-)

Peeeeeteeeee
1125699.  Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote

There is no real evidence left in NZ to say where the Maori race came from. It has been long destroyed or well hidden. If you only used information from NZ they somehow materialized about six hundred years ago.

The only information about where they came from has been found in other countries.

There was a book written about 5 years ago by a Scottish women living in New Zealand. She spent along time researching the subject of the real Maori history and culture. (The scottish have always gotten on well with the Maori. She had a lot of respect for them and wanted to give them a true background).

The book seems to now not exist.

vanjeet
1125762.  Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:42 am Reply with quote

In recent Maori news, the Scottish Borders Council will return a Maori war flag to New Zealand. The flag was taken in 1865.

link

vanjeet
1125763.  Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:50 am Reply with quote

The Dog Tax War, was a bloodless war waged between the Māori and the British settlers of the island. It started after the Hokianga County Council imposed a tax on dogs in the district.

(there's a lot more to it, but I'm in office right now. And it also doesn't help that I can hear the others cheering the cricket (not that I like the sport, but it is distracting)...)

Alfred E Neuman
1125782.  Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:23 am Reply with quote

Peeeeeteeeee wrote:
There is no real evidence left in NZ to say where the Maori race came from. It has been long destroyed or well hidden. If you only used information from NZ they somehow materialized about six hundred years ago.

The only information about where they came from has been found in other countries.

There was a book written about 5 years ago by a Scottish women living in New Zealand. She spent along time researching the subject of the real Maori history and culture. (The scottish have always gotten on well with the Maori. She had a lot of respect for them and wanted to give them a true background).

The book seems to now not exist.

Here's a link from Encyclopedia Britannica's website which disagrees with the haka being an early Scottish form of aerobics.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/252091/haka

Quote:
Haka has its origins in Maori legend. The sun god Tama-nui-te-ra and one of his wives, Hine-raumati, who embodies the essence of summer, had a son named Tane-rore. The Maori consider the quivering appearance of the air on hot summer days to be a sign of Tane-rore dancing for his mother, and this light, rapid movement is the foundation of all haka, with the performers’ trembling hands in particular representing Tane-rore’s dance.

The ball's in your court...

AlmondFacialBar
1125819.  Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:47 am Reply with quote

Though of course the one haka we all know, i.e. this one,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lohrhO0wrpg

is supposed to be a celebration of a young lad's first orgasm. If said orgasm was caused by him losing his virginity, having a wank or scoring a try is unfortunately not generally known.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Last edited by AlmondFacialBar on Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Alfred E Neuman
1125829.  Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:33 am Reply with quote

Do you think that the "performer's" hands were trembling.

Jane Hancock
1125969.  Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote

That made me LOL!!!! Reminds me of a scene in "The Piano" where the female natives are laying on branches of a tree rubbing themselves in to a state of sexual relief .........

'yorz
1125976.  Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:24 pm Reply with quote

AFB - couldn't you have tried to find a better example? This one is shite quality.

suze
1125994.  Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:18 pm Reply with quote

There are several thousand instances of the haka on YouTube, so watch as many you like!

I don't think we have any NZers among our currently active membership, which is a shame because I have a question for them. Half a dozen of any given All Black team are white guys of Scottish descent. Are those guys just a bit uncomfortable about doing a Māori war dance at the start of the game?

Y'see, I'm thinking about lacrosse (lax) here. That sport originated with the Native Americans, and probably half of professional lax players are at least part-Iroquois. The rest are white guys who went to private schools.

The Iroquois Nation has a quasi-national team with full international status - it and Australia are the only teams which can seriously challenge Canada and the US at the World Cup. And it does a traditional war dance before its games, just as the New Zealand rugbyists do the haka.

But it is not considered proper for white guys to perform this dance, which is why the Canadian national team doesn't do it and college teams don't do it. (One or two college teams tried, and the Iroquois Nation asked them please not to.)

Is there any comparable sensitivity about the haka?

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next