View previous topic | View next topic

Music

Page 7 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

14-11-2014
1108867.  Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:26 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Let us suppose that we have our trumpet

I've found the original evidence, and recorded a quick & dirty version (video -> microphone of a second computer).

First you'll hear the edited melody. Next you'll hear the same melody, performed live (i.e. not the unedited recording, but that's not important).

Link to the WAV file, works with e.g. VLC.

14-11-2014
1108873.  Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:08 pm Reply with quote

WordLover wrote:
the first 1/25 of a second (which you could deal with in Audacity, as it enables you to work at the level of milliseconds).

No, the first 1/25th of the transient of a note. Apparently it's the signature.

Some tool isn't important at all. You may as well play a simple, slow melody and not record the first 1/25th. The job description of the original editor of my WAV file would be Senior Sound Engineer. So it's possible to edit existing recordings/files, and I assume it'll still work if you delete 1/24th instead of 1/25th.

I do assume that 1/25 was used intentionally. Deleting 4% of information sounds like deleting a more significant piece.

People guessed it was a bad ringtone. Or a oboe, or a clarinet. Of course one can guess the right music instrument, but guessing isn't recognizing. I don't know if it'll work with any instrument. That wasn't discussed. The trumpet (internet points for suze, mentioning a trumpet before having heard the edited sound) of the band was used to record the original melody and to play this melody again.

14-11-2014
1108874.  Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:22 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
If the 4% excisions were at random rather than at prescribed point, I'm confident that we'd still be able to recognize the instrument.

Quite likely, but that wasn't the question and that wasn't discussed during the quiz. The answer wasn't always 100% accurate (most spiders, 1/25 of a note), but the question was accurate (most spider species, the first 1/25 of the transient):

Wikipedia still wrote:
a transient is a high amplitude, short-duration sound at the beginning of a waveform that occurs in phenomena such as musical sounds

Of course this wouldn't come close to perhaps being interesting if any of the added assumptions would be true; you will be able to recognize a few songs if we would remove over 99.9% of the whole song. That would be quite boring.

14-11-2014
1108881.  Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
14-11-2014 wrote:
If you know that, and you know that the theme of the song isn't a Belgian theme, and you know that Mia apparently is the best Flemish (pop)song ever, then it's quite remarkable that this song is not known in the Netherlands. It's almost like having to explain in Scotland what The Beatles or Oasis are.

Isn't it more like a song by a Scottish or Irish band being well known in Scotland or Ireland but not in England?

Yes, one can reverse the situation ("What, the Sample Mints playing I promised you America?!", if that would be the #1 Scottish song). I just used the same direction of travel and a Belgian version of Hey Nude.

I can add now that Milow, during the World Cup, was a daily guest of the Dutch Gary Lineker, to represent Belgium's Red Devils and to play a song each time.

In 2006 the theme song of this programma was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wir_sind_Helden#Singles with Wenn es passiert, peak position #24.

Milow was willing to perform his songs in the other country frequently, he is willing to cover it, and he could at least have played it during the highlights of each game of the Red Devils. If a German song of an unknown German band reached #24, then one may expect that the most popular Flemish/Dutch (/English) song will outperform that. The market is bigger too, using your direction of travel.

[quote-"suze"]As for why Stromae is well known internationally but Gorki are not, isn't that simply because Stromae performs in French rather than Dutch?[/quote]

Yes, but it doesn't have to come down to counting (more) votes. French isn't that popular in Flanders/the Netherlands, but his peak positions are #1, #2 and #4. His songs may be better, even if you don't know the meanings, but I used it to point out that Belgian songs are accepted in the Netherlands. Even in the case of French songs. The border is a barrier, and Gorki had to be willing to perform in another country, but there's no specific reason why both Gorki (band) and Mia (song) are unknown. They didn't even use a Flemish word, as far as I can tell. The record company could have released it, even without active promotion by the band. Apparently they didn't, despite the fact that it is/was was the most popular Flemish song ever.

Quote:
Songs in French have rarely done well in the UK, so maybe it is just that he's good!)

Bien sūr! Several Belgian artists will be known in the Netherlands, by the way. I guess Clouseau was their last #1 band, albeit it's not my area of expertise. I just checked it, Stromae was a main stage performer during the Dutch/Belgian (Limburg) version of Glastonbury. That's no surprise.

According to a quick scan of Wikipedia, Mia wasn't (re)released as an A-side single in Flanders too, and it wasn't always that popular. Now one could try to make money by releasing it posthumously in the Netherlands. I think it's remarkable, but not interesting, because it's the Flemish all-time number one Dutch popsong. Gorki is unknown. Mia is unknown. Wikipedia doesn't explain why.

14-11-2014
1108883.  Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:45 pm Reply with quote

14-11-2014 wrote:
WAV file

I haven't studied the waves, but I think you can clearly hear the cuts. One very short cut per note. The cuts may sound like a pressed key of some cheap 80s Casio toy keyboard.

The link may stop working, but now I can still play it with VLC ('s <Ctrl-N>, or Media -> Open Network Stream...).

Finally I'm not expecting that my white noise nor this subject will ever be broadcasted again. But a professional soundguy/-girl of a production called QI should be able to reproduce it easily, avoiding copyrights issues.

14-11-2014
1108888.  Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:22 am Reply with quote

WordLover wrote:
what would you measure and how would you measure it, to make sure you'd delete enough?)

About the same questions were asked by students. The transient of a note is the variable transient of a note, i.e. 100%, and the question defined that you'll have to delete (the first) 4%. You are editing a recording, so you can know what 100% is before you start cutting. You can do the cutting live (e.g. by elayed recording), but then you'll have to know what the tone (and 100% of the transient of this tone) will be,

Some questions of students using the same question, without the multiple choice answers, were (translated quickly). I found those remarks while I was looking for the recorded evidence:

Quote:
Apparently this is about, if it is an old tape recording, cutting small pieces of tape.

How small are those pieces of tape?

What's the duration of a transient?

Apparently someone, listening to the edited recording, will notice something.

No clue what this is about. Science?

(old tape isn't required, the size of pieces of tape would be 1/25 or 4% of 100%, you have to listen to the recorded tone to determine what the duration of the transient (100%) is, you should notice something, and I'd say it's science)

14-11-2014
1108889.  Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:37 am Reply with quote

Leith wrote:
For a plucked or hammered instrument like a guitar or piano, the character of the sound is heavily dependent on that initial percussive part of the note's waveform (as you might imagine).

The original question (or any of the full answers) doesn't mention any specific instrument, but that doesn't mean that it will always applies to all instruments indeed. In the case of QI you'd ask people to recognize a good, known instrument instead of a random instrument.

Leith wrote:
I could believe that 40 ms would be sufficient for a pretty noticeable effect.

That's probably close enough to try it at home and/or live, albeit ~4% is variable.

The recording may sound like I've used a Commodore 64 keyboard-piano to produce it, but my skills are limited to producing the M-themed EEE EEE EGCDE (with marked keys, that is).

14-11-2014
1109256.  Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
The influence of in-store music on wine selections.

This field study investigated the extent to which stereotypically French and German music could influence supermarket customers' selections of French and German wines. Music with strong national associations should activate related knowledge and be linked with customers buying wine from the respective country. Over a 2-week period, French and German music was played on alternate days from an in-store display of French and German wines. French music led to French wines outselling German ones, whereas German music led to the opposite effect on sales of French wine. Responses to a questionnaire suggested that customers were unaware of these effects of music on their product choices. The results are discussed in terms of their theoretical implications for research on music and consumer behavior and their ethical implications for the use of in-store music.

Journal of Applied Psychology (Impact Factor: 4.31). 03/1999; 84(2):271-276. DOI: 10.1037/0021-9010.84.2.271

Ian Dunn
1116257.  Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote

Some inaccurate song lyrics.

Kraftwerk sung: "Radioactivity, discovered by Madam Curie." However, radioactivity was actually discovered by Henri Becquerel, who won the Nobel Prize for Physics the same year Marie and Pierre Curie won it.

Also, in U2's "Pride (In the Name of Love)", a song about Martin Luther King Jr., the songs goes: "Early morning, April four. Shot rings out in the Memphis sky." But Martin Luther King Jr. was actually shot in the afternoon.

Ian Dunn
1125913.  Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:59 am Reply with quote

Possibly one of the oldest examples of music that is truly hellish dates back around 500 years ago.

In Hieronymus Bosch's The Garden of Earthly Delights, which amongst other things depicts scenes of hell, one of the people being tortured in Hell is a man who has a musical score written on his buttocks.

Amelia Hamrick, a student at Oklahoma Christian University, noticed this and recorded herself playing this tune, which she posted here.

Another person has since gone on to create a choral version of the tune with lyrics.

I can't help but feel that a piece of music from Hell would suit Alan's buzzer.

Other source: The Daily Mail.

'yorz
1125917.  Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:59 am Reply with quote

One of the most melodious farts I've ever heard.

Ian Dunn
1125931.  Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:06 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:

Yes, I know. Sorry but the Daily Mail was the best source I could find.

Posital
1125950.  Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
malodorous, shurely...

'yorz
1125957.  Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote

The one doesn't exclude the other...

Jane Hancock
1125964.  Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote

There isn't going to be an M series .....you are all wasting your energy which is a shame ...... unless you can take your passion, complete devotion and skills else where .... I, personally, am gutted that we have been misled ...........!

Page 7 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next