View previous topic | View next topic

Music

Page 8 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

'yorz
1125965.  Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote

Jane Hancock wrote:
There isn't going to be an M series .....you are all wasting your energy which is a shame ...... unless you can take your passion, complete devotion and skills else where .... I, personally, am gutted that we have been misled ...........!

And you base this on.....?
For a wannabe elf you're starting on the wrong foot, m'dear.

(I thought I better quote your post as you apparently have a habit of deleting them.)

14-11-2014
1126379.  Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:33 pm Reply with quote

E.g. Univeral Picture's Spider-Man movies are using bonus tracks by local artists to promote the product.

CharliesDragon
1126381.  Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:52 pm Reply with quote

Once again I am completely unable of following your thought process and seeing how that relates to anything here, 14, but the entire thread is a mess and I have no idea what happened at the start of it.

14-11-2014
1126388.  Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:43 pm Reply with quote

By the way, the bonus track marketing strategy works. Youtube's official VEVO music videos are pretending that such a local bonus track is a "Soundtrack The Amazing Spider-Man 2", as if some local artist was asked to perform the main, international soundtrack. People do believe that, reply that it's an excellent choice, and sometimes wonder why the number of Youtube views isn't 40 million yet.

I don't like movies, but I've also verified an old joke of a comedian. Amadeus won several Oscars in 1985 (best picture, best director, best actor, best adapted screenplay, best sound mixing, best art direction, best makeup, best costume design), but not in a "best music" category. So unfortunately they've selected the wrong composer. As such there was no award for "best music". Nevertheless the "best original song" was I Just Called to Say I Love You, and indeed Amadeus wasn't even nominated.

Jenny
1126478.  Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote

Nobody has been misled. The M series is being researched even as I write.

CharliesDragon
1126510.  Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:27 pm Reply with quote

Well, I would have found it weird for the Elves to go about researching, producing podcasts and tweeting as if everything was normal if something was up.

The claim that we're "being misled" strikes me as being in the same category of someone declaring a deity's earthly return, but being so bad at it they only get three followers. (Is that a mean description? Probably, but there's something pretty off with the way it's claimed.)

Spud McLaren
1136501.  Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:23 am Reply with quote

There are bum notes, and there are bum notes...

Edited for typo.

Last edited by Spud McLaren on Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total

'yorz
1136505.  Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:37 am Reply with quote

So, inevitably, for the newbies here: The Farter from Sparta

phantomx
1203819.  Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote

But on a higher level, can you name a composer whose name is frequently mentioned literally in the same breath as Beethoven?

The answer is Spohr - as in Mikado the music-hall singer is punished with " ... masses and fugues and op's by Bach, interwoven with Spohr and Beethoven ... " - and I do really mean literally, as the performer probably couldn't draw breath between the names.

(Edited, to correct the quote.)

Last edited by phantomx on Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jenny
1203825.  Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote

Welcome phantomx :-)

I don't think I've every heard a piece of music by Spohr, but when I looked him up on YouTube he seems to have been quite prolific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmlit4IRFfo - first clarinet concerto.

'yorz
1203840.  Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:05 pm Reply with quote

Very prolific indeed.

And inventive as well:

Quote:
Spohr was a noted violinist, and invented the violin chinrest, about 1820. He was also a significant conductor, being one of the first to use a baton and also inventing rehearsal letters, which are placed periodically throughout a piece of sheet music so that a conductor may save time by asking the orchestra or singers to start playing "from letter C", for example.

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk
1324997.  Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:04 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:

100 years, to the day, after "My Country, 'Tis of Thee" was used as a de facto anthem, the Star Spangled Banner was officially used as the US anthem on Independence Day.

Americans nearly always sing just the first stanza of The Star-Spangled Banner even though the words 'Land of the Free and Home of the Brave' end with a question mark. This is because they describe a real battle during the War of 1812 when Fort McHenry in Baltimore was under attack from the British and the fate of a young nation hung in the balance. Francis Scott Key wanted to reflect a mixture of fear and patriotism. Would the banner still wave? Would he have a home to return to?

Of the other three verses one ends with an exclamation mark and the last two end with full stops.

https://americanhistory.si.edu/blog/2013/06/you-asked-we-answered-why-is-there-a-question-mark-at-the-end-of-the-star-spangled-banner.html

Page 8 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8